The Corroboree
theuserformallyknownasd00d

What did you do in your sacred garden today?

Hi, so after reading the daily cactus activity thread, I wondered why their wasn't a daily tracker for our sacred leaf gardens also :-)

So today I constructed a small greenhouse for my sun sensitive and high humidity friends. I used a portable greenhouse but replaced the outter plastic with shade cloth. I also added an extra layer of mulch/compost to my medicinal herbs due to the heat and gave everything a solid watering.

Worked on some coleus and gave everything a repot. The varieties I've experienced interesting visits with are emitting the strongest pepper/spice aroma. The heat has kicked in and so has their growth, watering now twice a week with 3 hrs morning sun.

I'm also enjoying a nice bounty of completely homemade pasta sauce and bruschetta bread from my vege patch, man I'm gonna overrun in food from there shortly! Time to learn jarring!

What'd you do in your garden today?

D00d

• Like 11

sprayed my niteshades ! fucken mites :uzi: mites mite !!! :BANGHEAD2: fuk it its sundee beer time! :wink:

• Like 7

My stuff is getting lacebug, my garden is permanently in the shade so my plants don't grow quickly enough to outrun the pests. Unfortunately that means I need to spray tonight, which I have done only twice in the past 18 months.

I watered everything today, with a bit of organic liquid fertiliser, and gave them my loving energy. Most of my babies look great at the moment.

Edited by whitewind
  • Like 2

Ha! I was waiting for somebody to start this thread, too lazy to do it myself I think haha.

Today I scouted everything for pests and found a few red scales/eggs on the undersides of leaves on my white sapote tree (the leaves of which I mean to experiment with when the little tree gets big enough to spare a few - allegedly has oneirogenic action). Blasted them off with my handy water bottle sprayer. Other than that I just admired it all :)

Oh cool idea for a thread. :)

So lately I've been watching my Piper Auritum get wastified by the sun, and despite watering it often, and giving it heaps of seasol, liquid ferts, solid ferts - nothing seems to be able to get it growing healthy again - a leaf popped out, and dried out almost instantly. It's almost at a stand-still. Today, I'd had enough of that.

So I chose a spot that while being almost right there, is under more trees and nearer the fence - this should still lessen the amount of sun it gets by at least an hour a day, possibly more. I dug a fairly big hole in the clay there, enough so that I felt it wouldn't drown, but would still have water for days down there (I read that it is never supposed to get dry feet). The clay was so hard, and so orange. But anyway, I got that finished. Then I dug out the Auritum. It still had roots, but most of them weren't in great nick. It seems my mistake was to not break the rootball up properly last time -_-, as there was a dry pocket of old potting mix under the roots, and I didn't dig a big enough hole for it (it wasn't sending roots upwards to the soil mound). I washed the roots under the tap. Then I made a new mixture, a fair amount of compost, some potting mix, ferts, coarse sand and pumice - similar to a cactus mix, but more bark and organics. I put the plant in the hole, gave it a big splash of seasol - and then put more of a sandy mix layer on top (to allow the liquid to drain straight into the hole in the ground, and to stop it drying out), and crossed my fingers.

A bit of a verbose post, but it does the dual purpose of being like a diary for what I did, so I can know what I did to make things work. :P

• Like 2

I tried growing it in the Blue Mountains, it died back in the winter, I thought it was gone, frost and snow had taken it, but it popped back up in Spring! It was only a small plant too. They are pretty tough, the root nodules will make sure it comes back no matter what.

Edited by whitewind
  • Like 2

Viridis is tricky, d00d. I had some that stuck around for months; then they had a huge soaking and suddenly they all germinated. I think there were some inhibitors that needed washing away or something. Lots and lots of rain overnight, or maybe leave the irrigation on for a few hours. Once they got going they were amazing though.

Being housebound for the day, i managed to bewilder my flatmate,

upon the 8 or 9th time i misted my humidity loving indoor entheos

she burst out with something along the lines of

'obsessed', 'need to get a life/girlfriend', 'you care for those plants as if the're people', etc, etc

at other times ive heard 'if you bring one more bloody cactus home i'm moving out'

she just doesn't understand :bootyshake:

• Like 8

I repotted my Brunfelsia, Gynura procumbens and Acacia berlandieri and misted a glasshouse

nothing more because here in Austria it is Winter (least work outside) and 11:15 AM (12 hours time difference) ;-)

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 2

repotted a Desmodium gyrans that shouldve been done months ago.

shifted some stuff around and spot watered.

got excited that a Heimia is flowering!

@d00d- I second WW's advice about prolonged soaking to get Chacruna going. I had a batch that sat doing nothing for 8-10 weeks, so finally

stuck em out in heavy rain (for just a short while :rolleyes:) and forgot to bring them in all day. A week & a half later and SHAZAM!

Nothing :( I've been 300km away from it for the last two weeks, but back tomorrow! Hopefully it'll still be alive after spending the money and time to set up an automatic watering system for all the pots.

wow LokStok, do you have photos from your Desmodium gyrans? mine stays very small (now in winter)

Yesterday i moved my double white brugmansia to a new spot on the corner of the vege garden where it will get more sun

post-8023-0-19058500-1357512358_thumb.jp

...Stared at my beautiful coleus for a very prolonged period of time :P

post-8023-0-51962300-1357512423_thumb.jp

...Watered this tamarillo plant like three times, it seems to be growing extremely quickly it this newfound heat

post-8023-0-74136700-1357512471_thumb.jp

...Repotted some skullcap and withiana somnifera seedlings and changed the water for my salvia divinorum cuttings

IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2350.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2350.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Today i put together a little green/hot house for some humidity loving friends. used the shell of a portable greenhouse and simply cable tied the shade cloth. it cost me $7 incl cheap thermostat that does humidity. Locally i could have constructed it with new materials for under $20 I'm sure, but im a packrat and had most of the materials.

post-9832-0-80818300-1357534821_thumb.jp

I use wet t-shirts and an evening spray to regulate the humidity and after 8 hours is running at 25C and 85% humidity during a 25C day (the hottest we have had this year

post-9832-0-54323200-1357534828_thumb.jp

post-9832-0-28816900-1357534825_thumb.jp

d00d

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 3

wow LokStok, do you have photos from your Desmodium gyrans? mine stays very small (now in winter)

Hey MP, these were taken this afternoon. Its spent the last 6 weeks up until yesterday inside and become a bit 'leggy'.

It stands 80cm not including the pot. Seed from India.

132.jpg

134.jpg

• Like 1

we got smashed today with 45C heat, a 20C jump in one day from our regular 25C days.

lucky i got in last night with a solid watering and everything came out all good (currently 35C)

the 4 massive brugs up the road had wilted all their leaves and dropped every flower it washolding, about 50 in total!

Edited by thed00dabides

I took this photo a couple of days ago, and just remembered to upload it now.

It shows my compost heap (the walls are made to be easy to remove, so the wood is just staked, and the bricks just stacked), and my outdoor Salvia Divinorum [legal in NZ] - and my sick, sick Piper Auritum at the back.

med_gallery_7332_400_405809.jpg

Compost corner

EDIT:

I also was at the beach, and collected a couple of seed-pods of Calystegia soldanella (if anyone desperately wants some seed - I can provide). I wonder, if you could hybridize this plant (it grows in straight sand just about), with HBWR - for frost resistance or something?

http://web.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/science/about/departments/sbs/newzealandplants/seed-plants-flowering/find-by-north-&-south-islands/convolvulaceae-morning-glory-family.cfm

calyst_sold_br1a(400).jpg

calyst_sold_flwr6a(400).jpg

Edited by CβL
  • Like 2

SAB - m. hostillis seed pack seams to have great germination rates. :)

I got 4 out of 5 seeds to germinate, they are almost 2 months old now, i keep them in filtered sunlight

2013-01-07125835_zpsc52b6941.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks mate,

No fertilizer yet. Plenty of love though, not a day goes by that they dont hear how wonderful and amazing they are.

Once a week they get watered unless its drying out sooner, i have plenty of vermiculite in the mix so its molds the moisture nicely.

Haven't given them straight sunlight yet, a close friend of mine purchased one from the SAB webstore, it was 15 cms tall and she cooked it after one day in direct sunlight so im being super careful.

• Like 2