The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

Insight into human nature.

Its always amused me that people distrust the majority of information distributed by governments and scientists yet believe in full faith the "old guy down the road". This stuff goes along way to showing how people can affect without us knowing.

Ever thought you were free thinking, insightful, perhaps master of your own destiny?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derren_Brown

The episodes are viewable on youtube.

So question everything, more so the things you already know and believe. Also dont be so quick to judge, there is a whole other side to every situation, if you cant see it your not looking hard enough.

I've seen a few of his shows that were pretty good, that one where he drove those advertising people past those landmarks on the way to the office, then asked them to draw something and it was very similar to the image he had previously drawn earlier. The similarities arose because of the particular route they were driven on the way there, and the images they saw subliminally influenced and gave them ideas for their drawing. Or something like that, very clever.

But one show, The System, where he "guaranteed" that he could pick the winning bet. That was terrible! Very dissappointing. Watch it and you'll see why, how the fuck did they make a show out of that lol.

But in general, I have enjoyed his other shows a lot.

Edited by Alice

he freely admits a lot of his stuff is showmanship ie set up beforehand.

if he could really do much of what he appears to do, he would be in a lab with wires in his brain

• Like 1

He outrightly admits to have no magic powers or psychic ability.

Welcome back numb nuts where u been? Reptile rangling in some far of tropical island? I've missed u :( u not even

On facie no

More..

• Like 1

Hahaha yeah man still in tropical paradise. Thinking about getting back into things so was snooping for whats available. Still on facie just changed my name to ___ ruess.

Lots of new faces !

He outrightly admits to have no magic powers or psychic ability.

Yes but he implies he has the ability to dramatically control or alter what people think and do against their will. If he really did, I doubt he would be doing it on his little TV show.

From what little I have seen, he is entertaining but I would certainly question how genuine most of his more impressive stunts are.

Edited by chilli

Add me mun :) I still wear ur mad bone pendant:) oh ur discussing something I'll continue via pm. Just happy to see u back m8 :)

I love Derren Brown's shows.. And I know he claims to blend magic, mentalism, psychology, showmanship, etc.. But eh, it's still a bit disingenuous.

The extent to which he appears to use hypnosis and Neuro-Linguistic Programming and other 'psychological techniques' seems way too far-fetched (and psychology students I know agree).

But, that's half the fun isn't it? Dissecting his shows and work out what's what.

I used to have a massive interest in magic and mentalism when I was a kid, and still love watching this sort of thing.

Edited by SYNeR

Add me mun :) I still wear ur mad bone pendant:) oh ur discussing something I'll continue via pm. Just happy to see u back m8 :)

The one on betting was still interesting. It showed if you put something out there, even if only 1% of people believe you then you can make your money off them. The funny thing is that 1% could be rational people but the proof you show them leads them to believe beyond belief.

Reminds me of pyramid selling and those learn how to play the stockmarket things.

I think his messiah episode was particularly important for this community.

Always take something with a grain of salt too I guess.