The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
GoOnThen

Reaction to a Paper Wasp sting

I thought I would post this as a warning to others that have been stung by these little bastards

I have been stung at least 4 times over a period of about ten years which always resulted in a red welt of sorts ( more like a hot rash ) that would go away after a few days. I will get stung even if there are other people standing next to me. These nasty little things hate me but I try and be a bit careful while near there nests and I also try and keep the numbers down around my house.

I got stung again on new years eve and from what I can now understand things will only get worse from now on if I get stung again.

This is the reaction I now have to a paper wasp sting ( photo taken this morning ). I have taken antihistamine and have had a cold pack on. The blister started the next day and continued to get bigger over the following day.

post-4489-0-25831000-1357093036_thumb.jppost-4489-0-69567000-1357093227_thumb.jp

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-25831000-1357093036_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-69567000-1357093227_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-25831000-1357093036_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-69567000-1357093227_thumb.jpg

Ouch.

You poor bugger!

• Like 1

Be careful man - those look like they could be nasty to deal with if they get infected. I wonder if a dockweed poultice would do any good.

• Like 1

These nasty little things hate me

Wow, no kidding!

wiki:

Recent research has discovered paper wasps have face recognition abilities comparable to humans

So what do you think originally got them so pissed off at you? Or is it a case of mistaken identity? :P

But seriously, that looks freaking painful dude, ouch.

• Like 3

Yow.. you really must piss them off somehow, I thought paper wasps were usually pretty chilled?

keep up the antihistamines regularly, it makes a big difference how early you get one in as well

• Like 1

Paper wasps are quite aggressive, they are territorial and you don't have to touch their nest at all to be attacked. They also will sting in hoards and multiple times. GOT how do you get rid of them I have devised a method to kill them quickly but I keep finding nests everywhere else. At least away from the house area.

• Like 1

Thanks every one for your thoughts. :)

They are very aggressive if you go near there nest's . This one got me as I stood near my boat trailer which they love to live in. There can be a number of nests in the boat and trailer if it doesn't get moved much.

Around the garden they aren't normal aggressive and I treat them much the same as bees just with a bit of respect and distance.

The worst I have seen them is when I knock or move something they have a nest in I am sure they come at me tail first like in a cartoon.

Previously i have been stung on the face , neck , back and arms/hands. I am just glad I didn't have this reaction on my face or neck.

When I was stung I new it was going to hurt but having been stung before I just carried on with what I was doing and never relized how bad it was until the next day.

I leave the nests alone if they are away from the house and any where we go all of the time. We are on a 1/2 acre so they have a fair amount of space that they can have.

If I need to get rid of a nest I wait until night and spray the nest with a pyrethrum spray which normally is the safest option. If you try and spray them during the day you are asking for trouble.

Cheers

Got

Edited by GoOnThen
  • Like 1

Well that was an entertaining afternoon.

My wife came home and dragged me off to the chemist who suggested I go to emergency but I wasn't doing a three hour wait so they could give me antibiotics so I agreed to the doctors. My calf and knee joint was getting sore but the concern was the pain in the gland in my groyne. So after paying the doctor $75 for her to goggle paper wasps and write a script for antibiotics and the chemist $45 to fill the script and some dressings I am back home again with my festering leg. :)

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

hey GOT

dam that legs looks painful.

hope those antibiotics have kicked in and your on the mend.

take it easy.

trichoshaman

• Like 1

they can't remember your face if they're dead.

http://garrards.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=146:wasp-freeze-insecticide&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=53

wasp spray is a godsend. encounter nest, fetch can, use as little spray as possible, carry on what you were doing. the wasps that were flying around nearby don't bother defending the annihilated nest, and the wasps on the nest just drop straight to the ground or become little statues.

• Like 1

I was thinking about getting stung a few times by some paper wasps but after this thread now i'm definitely gonna just say no.

Cheers.

:P

• Like 3

When I was about 8-9 living out the back of Woodburn I was bush bashing shirtless through our little bush block there pretty much just running aimlessly through the bush in search of adventure a hand out in front of my face to try & stop the tea tree from whipping my face & all of a sudden I just hit the ground like a sack of spuds clutching my guts, sprang up screaming (my parents said they could hear me for about 10 mins) & made a bee line back to home (an old caravan) I think it was only the adrenlin that got me back but when I got there I apparently collapsed & screamed & mumbled incoherently for the next few hours.

My belly was just absolutely covered in red welts thank god the Bracken fern brought the sweeling & pain down, I had unkowingly copped a paper wasp nest in the guts because of all the swelling my parents were unable to count all the stings & apparently it just looked like one mega sting in the end. Paper wasps can suck but stupidly I still remember throwing rocks at paperwasps nests after that.

That does look like a pretty adverse reaction, stay safe bro.

• Like 1

Thanks shruman

I cant imagine what multiple stings would be like especially for a 9 year old. :blink:

Cheers

Got