The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
qualia

Can You Fuel A Car With Body Fat?

It is very easy to burn human body fat for fuel. Human body fat is an oil and it can be rendered and burned like any other oil. This means it can be used as biodiesel to power a car engine. In energy terms, the average BTU of a gallon of human body fat is actually 11% higher than the BTU of a gallon of diesel gasoline. ( According to Griffin Industries, a gallon of rendered mammal fat is equal to 127,000 BTUs. Wikipedia rates gasoline at 114,000 BTUs per gallon.) In 2008 a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon named Craig Alan Bittner used fat removed from his liposuction patients to power his Ford SUV and his girlfriend’s Lincoln Navigator.

http://www.acceler8or.com/tags/liposuction/

i suppose it's one of those idiotic "humans are special and not a resource" things.

• Like 2

so now the bus won't smell of fish and chips or donuts but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

haahaa nice one q, if that's the case i've proly got 2 to 3 hundy kilometres of unburned fuel in my girth

• Like 1

Very nice idea, i'd like to know what percentage of current use that could make up, only a very, very small percentage i imagine.

I think we're more likely to use human fat to make bombs than fuel for cars.

I don't know if you can fuel a car with body fat, but I know you can fuel a bicycle.

I've done it with muttonfat left over from slaugtering sheep.

(pigfat and lard are too yummy to waste as biodiesel :wink:)

human fat would be no different

it's essentially the same.

as are most vegtable oils

ie. triglyceride esters of various fatty acids

Heard a story of some crew who where up the north end in there WVO van quite some years back and ran out of fuel. In a stubborn bid to not support the fuel industry and travel accross the country on just waste oil they aquired a dead camel that had been shot as a pest instead, boiled it up and the fats ran em to the next town.