The Corroboree
Bigred

A.E.A south east queensland Branch

hi all just starting a thread for the interest of people who would like to be a part

of the Australin Ethno Assoiation and would like to join the chapter in seq

its early day's but we need suppport and funding to get this started

bigred

The word chapter sounds like a gang

Edited by Bush Turkey

I'd be glad to throw a bit of money towards this, if you don't mind me asking though, whats the funding for?

bigred, please don't take offense to this as i don't mean it to demean you or discourage you from what you are doing.

as your first point of order, though, i would recommend discussing with other interested parties and deciding who amongst you is best spoken. that way, you can use this person as your sole 'publicist'. if you want to be recognised as serious and scientific as apposed to a 'bunch of drop kicks' you will need to present your association as such, which you will struggle with if you continue to not proof read what you write and make as many spelling / grammatical errors.

also, use the word 'branch' rather than chapter, you won't then come of as part of the 1% :P

again, please don't take this the wrong way, but it is important if you ever want to be taken as seriously as you intend to be

dio

• Like 1

The word chapter sounds like a gang

*prepares patch for vest.

• Like 2

cool my grammar is pretty bad i will admit to that , but i have many friends who are interested and this thread is more of a meeting

place and to help create the group i never said i wanted to be President ( please dont bring that 1% shit in please) just want to help

create a society. that i really want to be a part of

didn't mean you wished to be president or anything, just meant it was important to decide such a thing early on to collate the groups ideas accurately and coherently for the target audience, be it prospective members or the people you will eventually lobby.

sorry for my 1% remark, was more of a joke at bush turkeys suggestion

dio

• Like 1

i was thinking about this today (aea, not any state branches). wouldn't it be better to wait until the main thing is up and running? or at least for the time being to focus your energy to help the "head branch" so to speak get up and running, then once that's sorted with clearly defined goals then move to state focused initiatives?

but hey you can do what you want. just wondering if disparate entities at this stage, would inhibit the cohesion that i think this thing needs.

Funding will to be to help white wind in the actual early stages of the prep work and to also help cover the cost that may

come up. I guess that any extra money will be put in a safe place and kept accounted for. The building blocks to any

society is to have faith and trust in it's member's and believe in it's cause .

i believe, trust me. but the main goal i thought was to battle federal legislation. what can state branches do that a "federal branch" can't in this regard?

i was thinking about this today (aea, not any state branches). wouldn't it be better to wait until the main thing is up and running? or at least for the time being to focus your energy to help the "head branch" so to speak get up and running, then once that's sorted with clearly defined goals then move to state focused initiatives?

but hey you can do what you want. just wondering if disparate entities at this stage, would inhibit the cohesion that i think this thing needs.

well that qld laws are much different to the rest of Australia's so a lot of foot work will need to be done so the society can function

in qld . Also to help raise funds to send to the head branch in creating this wonderful society. the more help the more chance's

that we have to build a strong foundation . get the word out there as well the more the merrier

Dude your already in a society :)/>/>/> why don't u just organize, attend some meets to start with. There's a fair few members here in seq maybee u could go check out some doofs:)/>/>/>

But this bit is totally wack!!!!!! Why the hell give money to someone over the Internet creating a freaking "society" great investment.

I just can't see what your hoping to achieve and it scares me when I hear money and invest in a thread by let's be honest here someone who hasn't been round that long. You seem like a great, wicked funny, honest trading guy but I fear for this and other like projects I.e reptiles aushaman initiative and forum members money getting trashed which would be their own silly fault. Just sick of hearing people getting duped it happens a lot more recently than it did in years past you have everything at your fingertips why need to form society's and other do-dads. I would certainly have my lovely local baptist "chapter" knock on my door to discuss my redemption than EITHER of you crazy fuckers there I said it!!

Edited by incognito

Don't be too harsh guys.

We, myself and Big Red are attempting get an idea of the interest in a QLD arm of Whitewind and the Doods driven AEA. I think from a QLD perspective we can utilise our long growing season as a seed and plant bank to assist southern state member access rarer and hard to source seeds and plants. Its early days and the whole association is in a formative stage but from a QLD perspective we will always be a long way from the "Core" and with our States archaic headspace it would make sense we have some active representation.

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 1

Don't be too harsh guys.

we're all going to face a lot harsher criticism than this if this thing ever gets off the ground. remember, you're talking to people who share the same views as you. there's a large swathe of society which actively seeks to destroy things like you/we are trying to setup. that's why these bullshit drug laws exist. if you can't justify your existence to a community which is accepting of your views, then you'll never make a real go of it in the so called "real world".

With a defeatist attitude that is exactly what you will create, sweet fuck all, so you gotta praise Red for having a go. My point is Red went off half cocked and shouldn't have tried to hit people up for freight, but as a community we could afford a little more room for error to him. So for those who live in QLD whom are interested in being involved in a future seed/ plant bank, aligned with the Australian Ethnobotanical Association, please don't hesitate to pm myself or Big Red so we can pass on numbers of interest to Whitewind and Thedood.

• Like 2

i don't have a defeatist attitude. i'm asking pertinent questions. questions which i think need to be asked. cover all bases. a solid ground is what this thing needs.

edit: i.e. if someone asks for money, the first thing i ask is "who are you and why do you want my money" that's not defeatist that's common sense.

edit no. 2: you need to be grilled. if you want this thing to take off you need to be able to justify yourself to strangers. consider going to the wider community, asking them for money with the information you have now. "we're trying to setup an association we're still working out what it is and what we're going to do and stuff but give use several hundred dollars and we'll get back to you." no ones going to take you seriously. you think i'm pooh-poohing this, i'm trying to get you to synthesise it.

Edited by qualia
  • Like 2

Big Red and Stillman have both been in touch with us and they have some really interesting ideas for a local branch of the AEA. The original concept of the AEA was to have local groups that could get together and have plant and seed exchange, talks and whatever else they want to get up to, so this is well within the scope only much quicker than we are prepared for! So I'm happy for people to get things happening but we will need to nut a few things out as far as official stuff at some point.

The AEA is going ahead, we had some rushed meetings before Xmas and holidays which I didn't have time to write about, and we are working on a website and forums, official paperwork is on it's way.

Qualia, the AEA will act as a lobby group but that won't be it's only function, I thought we made that clear in the main thread. Also, I find this talk of professionals a bit weird. There are a large number of professionals in the community, and people with extensive qualifications. This is about bringing everyone together professional, scientific and gifted amateurs, enthusiasts with a bit of spare time, all are welcome. As a clear and coherent group we have much better chance of lobbying government than disparate individuals.

• Like 2

The original concept of the AEA was to have local groups that could get together and have plant and seed exchange, talks and whatever else they want to get up to,

so whats the point of spending thousands of dollars setting up something that we already do?

• Like 1

so whats the point of spending thousands of dollars setting up something that we already do?

Well firstly we are not asking for thousands of dollars, so that's a slight exaggeration, and secondly, it's a multi faceted concept including but not limited to seed and plant exchange and physical meetings.

Why is it necessary? Well, maybe it's not, but my experience is that governments rarely listen to individuals or disparate groups of people, they listen to experts (when it suits them) businesses (almost always) and large or loud organizations (because they have to) so an official organization with some experts will have far more clout than a dozen individuals writing the same thing. But I'm not simply interested in it being a lobbying group, I want a networking and information sharing group too. SAB is limited because it is a business; if something happens to T or SAB then we have lost a huge resource we all value, we can help take the pressure off him and provide a valuable backup - official and non-profit. He, in return, can use us to help him provide external moral support for a cause he's been battling for a while. But it's not limited to Torsten; the association is open to all members of the community, and everyone can get involved.

I appreciate how many feel about officialdom and regulation etc. but I really think the only way to be taken seriously is to come part way and say - we exist, we believe in these values, and you must take us seriously. I'm also sorry we don't have any results yet, but we are still in the process of setting up and we are in the middle of holiday season! If you can, have a look at the mission statement and read into the possibilities it encompasses

• Like 4

lol..chapter is a term used by many professional associations I am affiliated with. Branch works just as well.

(AEA patch for me - southern division Amz :wink: - thank you).

I applaud the moves for forming AEA, as with most new organizations there will be the teething period. There will be a need for state representation due to the nature of each States mad way of ticking and crossing certain species. Also due to different political flavours different "tactics" would be required to gain political sway and gains.

I am concerned of the double edged sword of lobbying, and have seen this first hand on environmental issues (both activist and state employee). I am hoping a "hitlist" will not be put forward as a lobbying tool, I am all for the dissemination of information but it needs to be initially discreet.

I stick my hand up as a future Tas rep, and available for proof reading if useful initially :wink:

Goes back to the rock....

WB

• Like 4

I think chapter is a word I am used to; branch reminds me of branch davidians and division sounds like an army, but branch may be the best term to use as it is reminiscent of a tree like formation, some branches may be stronger than others but all are necessary for the tree to live. Perhaps we should see members as the leaves, providing food and colour, money as the roots to provide stability and the channels to allow water and nutrients to flow, water is the information and nutrients are the plants and seeds that we exchange.

• Like 1

People associate ''chapter'' with bikies. That's just how it is

I wonder if anyone told the following groups this:

Freemasons

Wilderness society

Red Cross

Australian institute of architects

The club of rome

Maybe that's just your understanding of it and maybe you need to broaden your horizon.

incognito and soem others wonder why an association is needed and whether this isn't just a waste of money. This comes down to the purpose of this group, one of which is to be a political lobby and advocacy group. Individuals rarely get to make submissions of any weight in the political process. Associations carry much more weight, especially if they are well organised, have professional members, and are articulate. At this point the ethnobtanical community has ZERO representation in the political process. This means that any proposed laws that do not affect associated organised industries [such as the nursery association, or the cactus societies, etc] will have no advocacy in the law making process. All the lobbying that has been in the interest of this communtiy has been done by Ray Thorpe of Happy High Herbs and myself. This has a very limited scope and is tainted by commercial interests in the eyes of those being lobbied. Just think who would have more sway in the process of schedulign cacti: Hamilton's nursery or the australian cactus society? The answer is obvious and you should be able to translate that to what is happening with the new society.

May I suggest that those people who do not see the sense in spending any money on this and who do not see any point in spending time and effort on this to simply fuck off and let those who are willing to take this to the next level do so without the constant negativity? The people involved are experienced in what they are doing, understand the political process better than the naysayers, and actually have a vision that is obviously lacking in some.

There is a lot of talk about money, but in fact a handful of people have already covered most of the initial costs. ongoing costs will be minimal and will be sustained by negligible membership fees and occasional auctions. This is not a money grab. the people invovled in this are the ones who have provided most of the money, so it is actually the opposite. You should see the initial set up as a gift to the community by a few individuals.

Whitewind and the team are putting a lot of effort into doing this properly which is why it takes a little longer. They should be congratulated on learning from other people's previous attempts, and making sure things are done appropriately.

I also feel that the main association needs to be icnorporated and operations before there is more progress on regional chapters. It kinda makes sense to put the donkey before the cart rather than the other way round. You can't really fundraise or promote a group before you ahve seen their constitution, which is only binding after incorporation. That doesn't mean regional groups can't start to organise themselves by having meetings and swaps.

• Like 8

I wonder if anyone told the following groups this:

Freemasons

Wilderness society

Red Cross

Australian institute of architects

The club of rome

Maybe that's just your understanding of it and maybe you need to broaden

It's not about what I think, it's about what society thinks. Walk around town and ask people what a chapter means to them.

Most people will mention bikies. Maybe it's just a WA thing? Most people wouldn't even know what Freemasons are