The Corroboree
Francois le Danque

Moving to Sydney: advice?, goodbye, and Sydney vs. Melbourne poll

final showdown  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I recently was accepted to the university of Sydney to study honours in pharmacology, and as such i have to make the move up north really soon! Less than two months in fact. So i was just wondering if any of y'all kind folks had any advice for me on a range of topics.

Having only spent about 100 hours in sydney in my life, you may consider me an almost complete noob. Unless it involves public transport, then i am all over that shit, yo.

"Monorail, monorail, monorail...."

So like, where should i live? I need Melbourne based reference points. What is the megarich wanker area like Toorak :uzi: (where i live now :P)? What is the hipster/bohemian/fitzroy-like area :bong: ? What are the lower class scummy suburbs? :wave-finger: (Or are those a fiction created by newsreel footage of the cronulla riots?) Also i know King's Cross is the nightlife capital, but how much of a hole/sick joint is it compared to say, St Kilda? :puke:

What kinds of plants grow better there, and worse, than in Victoria? Are there any important legal differences in this area? Cacti, khat etc. I know in NSW i can finally get a crossbow! :devil: yeeehaw

I am sure i had more questions back earlier this evening when i was less inebriated...

Oh yeah, to that member i was talking about trading a miracle berry plant to, i forgot who you are and accidentally deleted your messages. but i wanted to tell you that i have decided to keep it because i think it will grow better up there, and it is showing signs of recovery. sorry friend. but i will make you a clone when the plant matures a bit over summer. just hit me another message.

That's all for now!

Edited by Evil Genius

Welcome to Sydney Frank

I need Melbourne based reference points. What is the megarich wanker area like Toorak :uzi: (where i live now :P)?

Don't know Toorak but come and live on the northern beaches there are lots of fairly well off snotty nosed upper middle class wankers here, they pretend to be nice but it's a bit of a veneer. They also don't really understand grunge or poor so they get uncomfortable if you are too different. A nice car is all that is needed to assuage their fears, if you don't have one just pretend.

What is the hipster/bohemian/fitzroy-like area :bong: ?

Newtown. It's a bit far from the beaches tho for ease of visting.

What are the lower class suburbs? :wave-finger: (Or are those a fiction created by newsreel footage of the cronulla riots?)

Western suburbs. Don't go there :wink: Unless you're a Westy, of course. And into chicks and cars and alcoholic druuuuuugs.

Also i know King's Cross is the nightlife capital, but how much of a hole/sick joint is it compared to say, St Kilda? :puke:

It's sick. A bit violent. But generally fun.

What kinds of plants grow better there, and worse, than in Victoria? Are there any important legal differences in this area? Cacti, khat etc.

I can see what your priorities are.. Everything grows better than Melbourne. Everything. Unfortunately the Sydney night life is shit in comparison, at least compared to what little I know of Melbourne. And very soon, all your plants will be illegal wherever you are, and gardens will have to be authorised by your local council and run by a licensed gardener with qualifications in chemistry and law (not horticulture) Registered drug users won't be allowed to have a garden (esp. not a garden shed!) tho you may be allowed a balcony garden with fake plants that are designed to act as carbon sinks to help offset your credits if you write a very long essay as to why you can afford fake plants and want to help the environment.

Come and visit when you get here, if you dare.

Edited by whitewind
  • Like 2

I like the walk from Bondi to Coogee, along the cliffs, through the graveyard, along the small beaches.

But whitewind, i HATE "fairly well off snotty nosed upper middle class wankers", and anyone who equates cars with worth (i won't even have one in sydney thank god) - i have been surrounded by them (in enemy territory!) for 5 years. That's why i can't wait to live somewhere drastically different!

and the beach doesn't seem too far away from newtown area, it's about as close as it is to me now. and whilst a little closer would be nice, it isn't too bad, and sydney is much easier to get around than melbourne, ime. everything is close to everything else.

And i want to live close to the university, and have a yard (so tired of apartment...) and pay less than 180 a week in rent. And while i am at it, i want the house to have a pet tiger or wolf, preferably both. or some kind of hybrid. while i am being realistic.

johnny: i intend to do much walking on beaches and other natural areas sydney seems to have a lot of. i can't wait!

• Like 1

which is better none<> lol good luck! i hate citiez but we do what we do!

Edited by bullit

Hi Guys, took out the word lebbos as i think it kinda has a deprecative undertone. bye Eg

• Like 1

Hi Guys, took out the word lebbos as i think it kinda has a deprecative undertone. bye Eg

:P lol

Yeah, but if only u knew that Fat Pizza is a very popular Aussie show on the ABC and they go on about Lebbo's and one of the characters, Toola who is ultra fat even has made it to an american movie now I think and she does jenny craig adverts on TV. It's a bit of a pisstake on aussie culture.

• Like 2

But whitewind, i HATE "fairly well off snotty nosed upper middle class wankers", and anyone who equates cars with worth (i won't even have one in sydney thank god) - i have been surrounded by them (in enemy territory!) for 5 years. That's why i can't wait to live somewhere drastically different!

and the beach doesn't seem too far away from newtown area, it's about as close as it is to me now. and whilst a little closer would be nice, it isn't too bad, and sydney is much easier to get around than melbourne, ime. everything is close to everything else.

And i want to live close to the university, and have a yard (so tired of apartment...) and pay less than 180 a week in rent. And while i am at it, i want the house to have a pet tiger or wolf, preferably both. or some kind of hybrid. while i am being realistic.

johnny: i intend to do much walking on beaches and other natural areas sydney seems to have a lot of. i can't wait!

Newtown, Enmore, Marrickville and that general area is the place to be frank. Pretty alternative like newtown and the houses are pretty well priced for the location and size of house you can find. I've been living in Marrickville for about 4 years and absolutely love it!

• Like 1

sydney? more like SADney amirite?

:P lol

Yeah, but if only u knew that Fat Pizza is a very popular Aussie show on the ABC and they go on about Lebbo's and one of the characters, Toola who is ultra fat even has made it to an american movie now I think and she does jenny craig adverts on TV. It's a bit of a pisstake on aussie culture.

hahaah love that show check out housos same dude that wrote fat pizza!!! lebbos, wogs gook parkyar and all tha nasty shit we call each other funny as fuk ! and tru how we [most of us] speak this<> tha show is a comedy<>

which is better none<> lol good luck! i hate citiez but we do what we do!

yeap Edited by bullit

sydney? more like SADney amirite?

do you mean to imply that people in sydney suffer higher rates of Seasonal Affective Disorder, due to sydney's high rainfall? because if so, i think it will be good. i have the opposite thing. in winter i don't get sad, in summer i get angry. i want to move to a more temperate clime like in europe, sydney is just a stopover!

fair enough EG, it's just that's what people who live in such suburbs tend to call anyone of middle eastern appearance, and i meant to imply i want to distance myself from such attitudes :innocent_n:

I recently was accepted to the university of Sydney to study honours in pharmacology.

Congrats mate!

So like, where should i live?

For less than $180 you have very few options, especially if you want to live close to uni. You can get a room in a share house around the inner-west for that price, but you may have to look around before you find one with a yard and decent housemates. I have friends that live around those parts, so their living situations may give you some idea as to pricing:

* Opposite Sydney Uni in a split level two bedroom apartment with a small balcony - $500

* Four bedroom (closer to 3.5) house in Enmore, no yard (10 mins walk to Sydney Uni) - $900

* Small one bedroom apartment in Annandale with small balcony (10 mins walk to Sydney Uni) - $350

* Four person sharehouse in Marrickville with a small yard (Bit further away from the uni) - $150each

Check gumtree if you haven't yet. Basically Sydney is ridiculously overpriced.

EDIT: Oh and it's a landlord's market, and as a student you may have some troubles getting the place you want. The areas around Sydney Uni are desirable and there are a lot of cashed-up yuppies who are generally chosen before students. Some of my mates have had to compete with 10+ people for places and didn't receive them even after offering 3 months up front and/or higher rent. A few of these guys had limited/no rental history, but that should give you some idea of how competitive it can be.

I need Melbourne based reference points. What is the megarich wanker area like Toorak :uzi:/> (where i live now :P/>)?

The affluent suburbs are mainly around East Sydney (Double Bay/Vaucluse/etc.), North Sydney (Neutral Bay/Mosman/Lane Cove/Hunters Hill/etc.) and further North (Wahroonga/Turramurra/Killara/etc.). There's also obviously other rich suburbs around Sydney, but the ones above are generally the ones that would be considered megarich wanker areas. Anyways, the times are changing now and there is money spreading all over Sydney.

What is the hipster/bohemian/fitzroy-like area :bong:/> ?

Basically anywhere aound the inner-west. Newtown/Enmore used to be more bohemian/alternative, but over the years the population of hipsters has increased significantly. Hipster activity is also fairly high in Glebe/Alexandria/Surry Hills/Paddington.

What are the lower class scummy suburbs? :wave-finger:/> (Or are those a fiction created by newsreel footage of the cronulla riots?)

The working class suburbs are generally around West-Sydney and SW-Sydney. Cronulla is actually more upper-middle class, it just has a lot of bogans.

Also i know King's Cross is the nightlife capital, but how much of a hole/sick joint is it compared to say, St Kilda? :puke:

I used to go to the Cross a fair bit when I was younger, but now it has changed and I can't stand it (I'll admit I have changed a bit as well). Newtown or Oxford St are better places for going out in the city IMO. Darling Harbour is overpriced and mainly a suit sort of crowd. The Rocks is much the same, but has a few good restaurants. George St has nothing going for it. Getting out of the city and going to a nice doof > all of the above options :wink:.

Anyways, good luck mate. There are a fair few members around these parts who can help you out if you need anything else.

p.s. RE the plants: I can't help with growing as I don't know enough about the climate in Victoria, but I would say it's pretty similar. And I'm not aware of any differences in terms of the law.

Edited by TheExplorer
  • Like 3

thanks a lot, TheExplorer. a very well reasoned response.

I have looked on gumtree briefly and things don't seem all that different to melbourne, market wise (from what i could tell). were the prices you quoted weekly? the final example is exactly the sort of thing i am after.

do you lot have sydney meets? see yuz there :P

Yeah, weekly. If you go to Gumtree and put in the Area (Inner Sydney->Newtown or Marrickville->Any of the suburbs) and then Category (Real estate->Flatshare & Houseshare) you will find the most relevant options for you. The last example is on the lower end of what you will find, and cheaper properties like that are often shared via word of mouth amongst friends.

There are Sydney meets from time-to-time. I haven't been to any proper forum meets yet, as full-time uni and work usually get in the way, but I have met up with plenty of members for a beer or to exchange plants. There are also a few of us who go to doofs, so I see other forum members fairly regularly.

Good luck with the move frank, it's a big upheaval but definitely worth it for the career. I know a place that's not even a 5 minute walk to Sydney uni that's available for $350-400 at Chippendale. It's worth it considering how much you'd spend on public transport, however it is an apartment...

I spent a good 8 years in the place, pm me if you want more details. I also know a person who works at a nearby compounding pharmacy so I could put in a good word to try to help you find a job and get settled in.

Another plus is that the landsdowne is an excellent pub for live grunge and rock gigs and it's only a 2 minute stumble.

I've spent more time in Melbourne than Sydney.

Most of Melbourne has a superior road system (especially for the visitor or newcomer) thanks to its predominance of straight North/South and East/West streets. Thus, navigation and movement are much easier. (Sadly, it has Australia's love of changing-street-names "because that's what this suburb always called it in the old days".) Unfortunately, thanks to significant recent population growth, its roads also have become very clogged, and its drivers much worse than I recall from years ago.

Note: Victoria's rulers have introduced toll ways that don't even have toll booths!!! Drivers (even tourists) have to go out of their way to pay the fee, or else face significant fines. (Don't know if NSW disrespects its drivers in a similar manner.) Why the populace didn't revolt at the time still amazes me. Seems to have only trained the rulers to abuse the populace with even more indifference to rights and convenience.

Sydneys roads have always struck me as old donkey trails that were directly adopted as roads, and grown into major roads. Thank Goddess for GPS.

And, of course, Melbourne =is= Australia's cultural capital.

Carl