The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Moses

what to do with this crest???

ok so the stock on my epithelantha micromeris crest has given up so do i -

1. leave whole and hope it roots
  2. graft it as a whole
  3. cut up and graft pieces
  4. graft some and leave the rest to try to root.

any suggestions, what would you do?

post-1277-0-17365900-1355021508_thumb.jp

post-1277-0-12744600-1355021560_thumb.jp

she's one of my favourites i got her the size of a 20 cent piece.

post-1277-0-17365900-1355021508_thumb.jpg

post-1277-0-12744600-1355021560_thumb.jpg

post-1277-0-17365900-1355021508_thumb.jpg

post-1277-0-12744600-1355021560_thumb.jpg

i suppose it depends on whether you like grafts or root grown cacti. i'm more of an own roots kind of guy, even if it does take longer (something about the natural order of things B) ). so if it was me i'd clean the bottom, scab it off and root it up.

If I was good at grafting, I would cut it up and graft smaller pieces.. maybe a bit bigger than a 20 cent piece..

by the look of it I suspect you might run into problems with rot if you try and grow it on it's own roots?

Yeah I think rot will be an issue, I would most definitely cut that bottom section off in a curved shape like this ( in the first pic and take off some of that brown section. cut V type shapes but with a flat bottom, make say 4 or 5, and graft each of them to a columnar cactus. In a year you will have a bucket load of them. Just make clean cuts and work quickly :) use good top pressure and make sure the vascular bundles overlap (Can be difficult with crests).

Good luck.

Edited by Hellonasty
  • Like 1

I agree about the rot problems as I have just lost a Chamaecereus samaipatanus crest that had a lower section sitting on the soil and it rotted from there. I thought my mix would be fine as its a very high mineral mix but how wrong I was and it is now mush. :(

Cheers

Got

I have had rot problems whiles trying to root crests I would try grafting - Just make sure your cut it properly and have the vascular bundles overlap - I think 'kadas garden' has a link to grafting crests.

thanks all for the suggestions rot was foremost in my mind as i've had a bad year with it, i am going with Hellonasty and cutting her into pieces and graft them all.

i've had mixed success with grafting but understand the tech so off to the shop for a fresh set of blades , wish me luck.