The Corroboree
TrippyColors

purple peyote?

hey there :) my peyote seedlings are looking rather purple/brownish lately. i cannot figure out the problem here. the only thing i can think of is the amount of soil i used when i repotted them in the same pots to make room for root space. the purple ones used to be my dominate seedlings which looked the best, now the ones that prior looked a mont behind are starting to green and get big while the others are slowing down and are purple as ever

. i know they're still growing at a decent pace for their age, but i'd rather have them green. any clue what it could be if it's not a soil problem? the purple ones are about 6 months old while the green ones are about 5 1/2 months old. if i can't figure anything out i will probably seperate them and put them in seperate plugs in the next cpouple days. ALL are caespiatosa variety

post-12072-0-79255200-1354902786_thumb.j

post-12072-0-67143100-1354904305_thumb.j

post-12072-0-44202300-1354904317_thumb.j

post-12072-0-32869600-1354904352_thumb.j

post-12072-0-37356000-1354904364_thumb.j

post-12072-0-50286400-1354904474_thumb.j

post-12072-0-79255200-1354902786_thumb.jpg

post-12072-0-67143100-1354904305_thumb.jpg

post-12072-0-44202300-1354904317_thumb.jpg

post-12072-0-32869600-1354904352_thumb.jpg

post-12072-0-37356000-1354904364_thumb.jpg

post-12072-0-50286400-1354904474_thumb.jpg

post-12072-0-79255200-1354902786_thumb.jpg

post-12072-0-67143100-1354904305_thumb.jpg

post-12072-0-44202300-1354904317_thumb.jpg

post-12072-0-32869600-1354904352_thumb.jpg

post-12072-0-37356000-1354904364_thumb.jpg

post-12072-0-50286400-1354904474_thumb.jpg

Edited by TrippyColors

What are the lighting details? Purple is usually a sign of sun burn.

The transplant may have shocked them. Someone else may be able to inform you if a stressed seedling is more prone to sun burn...makes sense that it would.

• Like 3

I think they might be too wet. Have you got drainage holes in the bottom of your containers? The one on the right in the last pic.. very wet. I plant mine out into plugs, water them by standing them in a tray and letting the soil soak the water up, if there is too much empty the tray out after a couple of hours

Purple is usually a sign of sun burn.

x 2...

Edited by space cadet 101
  • Like 1

Sun burn is most likely, but i have also had peyotes turn purple and squishy from excessive cold. They come back fine after a bit of pampering, but as whitewind said, yours look very wet. They won't handle that for too much longer, and the last picture looks like they haven't really got very much potting medium to grow in.

So i'd say overall stress. They appear to be getting too much light, too much water and not enough root space.

Set up looks yuk, time to pot up into regular cacti mix.

• Like 1

how can it be sunburn, too much light, when thee purple ones are right next to the green ones under the same exact light? it's all under a 120 watt floro. also i have had awful mixed reports on how much to water peyote seedlings. one guy said you can leave them strait wet for a year, but i was getting rot at 5 months.

anyway i dunno i guess i could repot them but i dont see how it can be too much light when all of my other peyote look fine under the same exact lighting. i just really don't think it's too much water too. i try leaving them dry for a while and nothing changes except eventually they start to shrivel.

anyway i'll probably just repot them since the problem can't be pinpointed i suppose

Edited by TrippyColors

As i said, its a combination of several factors, not just sun burn.

The younger seedlings are likely able to handle the excessive water, but the older ones are sick of it.

Your best option is to repot into a container with drainage holes, cacti and succulent mix and then lay off the watering for a week or two.

thanks i'll give that a shot. that mix probably isn't bad, i use it with all my cacti. it just acquires lots of gunk over the months. it's a mix of 50% sand 25% perlite 25% peat

any idea on how to reduce the gunk that accumulates when you are growing seedlings?

oh and all those containers have drainage holes sorry for not saying earlier

Edited by TrippyColors
  • Like 1

Stop over watering them!!!

The guy who told you that lophs can be left wet for a year is talking shit.

Lophs can handle almost 100% HUMIDITY for the first year (that means being kept in a moisture chamber with regular misting) but they NEED to dry out inbetween each water or they will all die.

Always try getting a second opinion before following advice, everyone is working within their own particular climate, so what works for one guy may not for you.. and some people dont really know what they are talking about.

• Like 3

how can it be sunburn, too much light, when thee purple ones are right next to the green ones under the same exact light? it's all under a 120 watt floro. also i have had awful mixed reports on how much to water peyote seedlings. one guy said you can leave them strait wet for a year, but i was getting rot at 5 months.

anyway i dunno i guess i could repot them but i dont see how it can be too much light when all of my other peyote look fine under the same exact lighting. i just really don't think it's too much water too. i try leaving them dry for a while and nothing changes except eventually they start to shrivel.

anyway i'll probably just repot them since the problem can't be pinpointed i suppose

I'm not saying that too much light is the problem but different plants can have different sensitivities to light, in the wild the more sensitive ones would die off to let the stronger ones survive to pass on their superior genes.

If they are the same batch of seed (even if sown at different times) and light / heat / airflow is identical for both, it is most likely something to do with the potting mix / root conditions. I still maintain that it's most likely over-watering, they certainly need drainage holes. I water mine only when they have dried out first, then I water via a saucer system to ensure the water does actually penetrate the root ball. As Bogfrog said, high humidity is okay around the above-ground parts but not constantly at the roots.

I want to give you the explanation of them getting to much light...

I'm not a professor all though.

How does your light setup look like?

For how many hours a' day is it on?

Edit: nvm posted before all the other comments were added.

Edited by Fluss

really appreciate all the responses. love the vibes on the boards here. seems like a cool group

man i think these caespiatosa's are really touchy compared to other sub species. i'm growing texana variety as well and they just grow faster and more robust quicker. :) what a beautiful night huh? <3 i love peyote

i'm gonna have to get a cool avatar i'm feeling kinda spook-ish

Edited by TrippyColors

Take the peat out of your cactus mix. If you want organic matter, put in about 10-15% sandy/gritty compost. For robust species I go up to 25%, and trichs are fine with 50%, but any finnicky taxon is usually much happier with less.

Keep the peat for carnivorous plants.

• Like 1

thanks man, i have never had any advice and i have always just used my own method of soil perperation using peat like i stated. i have always wondered about peat with cacti.

is just sand and verm a viable option loph species and hard to grow species, ariocarpus etc?

also purple is a sign of nitrogen deficiency

From what I've researched ariocarpus almost NEED to be kept moist and humid for their first year. I think just pot up problem solved.

• Like 2