Sign in to follow this  
DreamingNagual

Lagochilus inebriens

Hey all, I am looking for a source of

The Deciduous Shrub,Lagochilus inebriens

(Intoxicating Mint)to add to my garden

I cant seem to find an Australian supplier

that stocks it.

Anyone who might have some seed or a cutting out there??

This is currently the top ranking unavailable ethnobotanical. Mitragyna used to be, but that's available now ;-)

basically, it grows in a small area of Uzbekistan and north Afghanistan, where the Taliban are trying to bomb the crap out of the last pockets of resistance. Anyone silly to go into this area to look for mints deserves to keep it wink.gif

I would think that this plant won't be available until the war is over. There are a few people selling this mint privately, but this is all due to some guy offering it on the ethnobotany cafe a year or so ago. After chatting to him for a while he admitted that he got it from his neighbours yard, who is turkish. He thought Lagochilus inebrians was native to Turkey, as he thought this was the same country as Turkmenistan (I guess 4 letters is a lot to have in common). So from Uzbekistan he deduced Turkmenistan, from here Turkey, from here a turkish migrant living in the US who happens to have a strange looking salvia in his yard. Obviously it had to be Lagochilus inebrians wink.gif

He figured that he could do plenty of top-level swaps this way and really scored on rare plants and seeds (BTW, he admitted all this to me in several personal e-mails). Now there are at least 50 or so people (plus all the ones these people passed it on to) who think they have Lagochilus inebrians and there is just no telling them otherwise.

if you buy it from anywhere it will most likely be this plant. When Lagochilus becomes available it will be a big deal and it will cost heaps.

Hey thanks for the info Torsten

I sort of figured it was a rare one as it isnt mentioned around the traps much,

And I am definatly not going into wartorn

land to retrieve it Hehe!

BTW I have sent you an E-mail.

MOJO

I had read it came from Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan. Certainly a few of the other, more widespread, Lagochilus would still be interesting to grow.

The Seed Guild finances a seed-collecting expedition occasionally. This year they went to the Tien Shan (Heavenly Mountain) range in Kazakhstan. They only got 130 species of plants as it was a very poor year. They promised to do better next year. For a little over a hundred pounds sterling you can have a share of each variety collected.

It is a million-to-one chance but it might just work!

If you want to encourage Duncan McDougall in arranging another expedition then have a look at

Compass Seeds/The Seed Guild www.compass-seeds.com

or email him at [email protected]

Guest reville

i read there are several (maybe 40? ) species of lagochilus

better watch out you get the right one!

and even chemotypes may vary within that?!

Guest neal_cassady

Prolly the plant highest on my list of wants too...been looking for about three years...oh well, guess waiting is all there is until someone with greater resources makes it available to the likes of me...

Neal