The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Safez

Regarding these reformed/new restricted plant schedules in Aus

I'm sure this has been discussed at length and if someone could point me in the direction of that thread I'd be much obliged. Or you could enlighten me...

I've seen bits and pieces floating around about the outlaw/ban of any plant known to contain even trace amounts of scheduled substances...

My question would be is tobacco going to be under this schedule? I've browsed over a couple of articles mentioning something about tobacco plants having quantities of MAOI inhibiting alkaloids, and it this combination that seems to lead to it's addictive nature. I cannot remember if that substance was harmala alks or not but if it turned out to be, would this also ban tobacco? Unlikely, I'm sure; as the government receives substantial revenue from it's sale.

Edited by Safez

tobacco products won't be illegal, that would be outrageous, and it's growth is already extremely controlled. i also think there is a provision for haramala containing products / herbal preperations containing under 0.3 percent (not sure on exact percent, its been a while) harmala alkaloids, so eshphand harmala may be sold from middle eastern stores etc

no one really knows whats going to be scheduled, basically the way i read what has been enshrined into legislation is a politicians ability to immediately ban anything they think requires banning, even if there's no evidence of it being harmful or actually even existing in Australia. so you should read that as being "if there's enough of a media storm then it'll become illegal". seeing as (i assume) most media editors are ardent tobacco smokers, cigarettes will remain quite legal (and that's not to mention all the tax dollars reaped from those "industrial-waste-flavour sticks").

Don't forget alchohol... amongst other commonly used substances that become analogues. New laws are so frickin funny when you look into just what is covered by this ban. They are going to need to create a "Things that ARE analogues of illegal substances, but we let you have anyway" list. Funny that it will have two things on it "Alchohol and Tobacco" the two that we really need to have controlled...

Edited by DarkSpark
  • Like 1

The main reason you wont see tobacco banned any time soon is that it is highly addictive & not just the leaf itself, more so the revenue it generates. Grubbyments around the world are excise junkies and aren't about to kick the habit any time soon, including ours.

The main reason you wont see tobacco banned any time soon is that it is highly addictive & not just the leaf itself, more so the revenue it generates. Grubbyments around the world are excise junkies and aren't about to kick the habit any time soon, including ours.

that must explain why the government is always trying to make meth and heroin legal

i think you guys are taking this legislation too literal. it's never going to be enforced blanket like by the letter. it just depends how they feel at the time whether or not you're doing anything illegal. so basically everything you do is simultaneously legal and illegal, depending on who you're talking to and what sort of mood they're in. it's the vibe of the thing, ya dig?

• Like 1

*sniff sniff*

"what's that smell? patchouli? oh ohh, BUSTED!"

• Like 1

legal or illegal , it's just a state of mind really

I understand Qualia, It's unlikely a 30 year old (insert scheduled plant here) is going to get a person in shit if for example there was officers investigating a matter entirely unrelated to the person. If they noticed it was a scheduled plant anyway.

I guess it does however, make it difficult for physical shopfront herbalists and growers who sell on a commercial basis our blessed herbs.

It's only illegal if you get caught! :D

Edit - Excessive use of "you" in a hypothetical

Edited by Safez