The Corroboree
Amazonian

What TV to get for Xboxing???

I have been looking at a new TV for the young Xbox addict of the house and am not sure what to get.. I have seen some cheap-ish LCDs that are 50Hz, and I was going to get one of those, but I have been told that for online Xbox gaming you need a TV that runs at like 80 to 100 Hz at least, otherwise it lags? . The Xbox addict here is like 14 years old (or will be at time of receiving TV), so he will notice if its crappy .

Can anyone shed some light on this matter for me please?.

PS.I UTSE and didn't find anything.?!.

:)

Go 200hz if you can afford it for console gaming.

I dropped $5000 on the biggest Samsung in the country and have never looked back.

Go with Samsung for gaming, TV and Movies IMO.

• Like 1

....And make sure you get Rocksmith too, I'm totally hooked on it at the moment and my fingers are killing me.

• Like 1

5000 for a tv damn man i just dont think i could justify it haha

speaking of xbox's sorry to hijack your thread amz

but do any of you gamer nerds now what the deal is with xbox live

never used it before and i bought a wifi reciever for the xbox not to long ago

and for the life of me cannot get the fucking thing to work as far as i can tell from looking on the net

its something to do with the router not assigning an ip address to the console

i tried giving it its own ip address nothing then i got told the other day you have to pay a yearly fee to get an xbox live account

fuck the wifi reciever cost me 60 buks and i really dont play xbox enough to be paying for a fucken xbox live account

Go 200hz if you can afford it for console gaming.

I dropped $5000 on the biggest Samsung in the country and have never looked back.

Go with Samsung for gaming, TV and Movies IMO.

Samsung rocks I got a samsung gaming PC the thing is a beast...PC gamers rule tho, screw microsoft and cant get better price for games..i can buy 5 games for equivalent of one xbox game, gates has been ripping the masses for to long! LCD cant use a plasma for gaming due to image burn! sony bravo make a good TV for xbox gaming thats what my mate uses and he is a xbox wizard lives on the damn thing 24/7.

Edited by applesnail

5000 for a tv damn man i just dont think i could justify it haha

speaking of xbox's sorry to hijack your thread amz

but do any of you gamer nerds now what the deal is with xbox live

never used it before and i bought a wifi reciever for the xbox not to long ago

and for the life of me cannot get the fucking thing to work as far as i can tell from looking on the net

its something to do with the router not assigning an ip address to the console

i tried giving it its own ip address nothing then i got told the other day you have to pay a yearly fee to get an xbox live account

fuck the wifi reciever cost me 60 buks and i really dont play xbox enough to be paying for a fucken xbox live account

This is correct.

well that sucks i rarely play the thing i really dont think it would be worth me paying for

the whole reason i got the wifi thing was just to try and extend the life of the couple of games i play occassionally

like skate so i could get other peoples skate parks they made and shit like that

Don't bother with Xbox Live. It is beyond crap.

Hey myco you should come around and see my $2500 fully pimped colour changing shower. I know how to party and keep my partner happy :)

• Like 2

hahaha colour changing shower

i'll pass on that BF that offer sounds kinda wierd :blink: haha

The Xbox addict here doesn't have a huge bedroom, so a really big TV would be pointless as it would be like watching a tennis match looking from one side of the screen to the other,lol.

At the moment he has an old Centrex 80cm TV which is like a giant cube compared to the flat screens and it does take up half the room, so it will be nice to get a better TV. Since his birthday and Christmas are almost side by side, a TV can be a combined present and can be a semi decent one...but not $5000, :).

I was just at the shops having a bit of a squiz at TV's. I asked the sales guy what TV for xbox. He said 200hz is best. I said its for a teenagers bedroom, he shows me a Sonia Bravio (100hz) and says its a really good TV ...LED (

As the Hz goes up, so does the price. I suppose you pay for quality.

The Xbox addict here LOVES online.

I shouldn't encourage console games, but atleast i know where he is. :)

Maybe if i sell his xbox and games, we can use that money to buy a TV,lol.

Thanks for the input guys. I will be looking at atleast 100Hz now.

It also depends if you want to be able to see the screen in daylight or with the curtains open.

with 200hz I can play in the middle of summer with the curtains open and still see what I am doing. It's the same for movies.

^ That would be good. At the moment 'the Xbox addict ' has to have the blind down to see the tv properly, and every time you go in there, it's like a dark cave. Too much darkness can't be good for ones mood hey.

• Like 1

^ That would be good. At the moment 'the Xbox addict ' has to have the blind down to see the tv properly, and every time you go in there, it's like a dark cave. Too much darkness can't be good for ones mood hey.

That is a REALLY good point.

Avoid the 50 hz. That's what I have, and it sucks balls for gaming. I like to sit pretty close, to have a more immersive experience as the TV is "only" 94cm (I think that's classed as a "small" these days lol). And it really upsets my eyes and brain playing something fast like Modern Warfare. I can't wait to upgrade to at least 100 Hz, even if it's the same size screen. If it's a bedroom then he always sits close to the TV right?

Best thing to do is go into somewhere like JB where they have all the tvs running, stand the distance he would be away from the TV or a bit closer, and see what you can tolerate. If it's not smooth, you need a faster frame rate. Especially for gaming. 50 cycles/second on a big tv just magnifies the unsmoothedness. 100 Hz is pretty damn good actually. 200 Hz is awesome but too expensive for me, maybe in 6 months time when they come down a bit. But there's never a best time to buy right?

• Like 1

. If it's a bedroom then he always sits close to the TV right?

He's not too bad, like 6 foot away,lol. But with this old TV being approx 2 foot plus deep, it does seem to be right in his face.

Need something better.

Dont buy an LG.

Solid advise

Dont buy an LG.

Solid advise

I thought LG werent too bad?.. What dramas have you had with LG eatfoo?

I had dramas with Samsung, well, not the brand, but the company. We had a surround sound system that packed up under warranty, and we had to wait many months to finally get something from them. (Actually, Samsung have shitty Kies for phones too, so thats another black mark against their name)

I will have to go for a smaller TV to be able to afford the greater Hz. But the saying is... performance is better than size.

I've had dramas with samsung too. They have a policy of never make a refund ever, at least that's how they were when I had problems.

If you buy from somewhere like BigW or Kmart you can get a refund through them though, so I only make purchases for throw away crap from places with a decent returns policy these days.

An LED TV is just an LCD with LED backlighting as far as I can make out, I can't really see the benefits being worth the extra bucks they tag on to the price of LED TV's.

Edited by SallyD

Learning a bit more about Hz... Some brands are advertised at being 100hz which is what i was told about the Sony TV yesterday, when in fact it is only 50hz. The Hz they are talking about is the motionflow, and not the refresh rate??!! , bit misleading hey.

"Buyers beware: top TV makers are quietly substituting industry standardized refresh rate specifications with their own artificial rate numbers, deceiving prospective buyers into purchasing an HDTV over a possibly better performing (but more honestly labeled) competing model."

http://hdguru.com/beware-of-phony-lcd-hdtv-refresh-rates/7726/

An LED TV is just an LCD with LED backlighting as far as I can make out, I can't really see the benefits being worth the extra bucks they tag on to the price of LED TV's.

The LED might help in a brightly lit room?, I dunno. Maybe just a sales gimmick... Too many options and bells and whistles. The way i look at it, the more it does, the more that can go wrong with it.

LED TVs can achieve a darker black than a normal backlit TV.

If it's for a bedroom just look for a 32 inch 1080p 200hz TV. Shouldn't be too expensive at all comparatively. I play on a 60hz TV and have no problem whatsoever so I don't think 200hz is completely necessary but is definitely something to consider if it's available.

Just don't get him anything that's not 1080p.

The whirlpool forums are a great tool to use, definitely check those forums, the computer forums not the washing machine ones.

• Like 1

Just don't get him anything that's not 1080p.

Definitely!

I forgot to add that. That is the most important part IMO.

TV's suck balls! Brain Gravy :P

Oh... That's old news Sly,lol. But who cant go past a bit of David Attenborough on a really nice TV screen?! :)

I still havent found anything. The Sony that i was told was 100Hz has a really nice picture on it. It has 100hz in MotionFlow, but only 50Hz in refresh rate.

I have been told that Xbox only run at 50 Hz anyway, so it is pointless going for anything greater than a 50Hz. Its getting too complicated, I just want a decent TV for my kid that isnt TOO expensive... Ho Hum :)

I will take the 1080p (?) on board too. Cheers.