The Corroboree
woodferret

What is the best method to germinate Khat seeds?

I have searched the web and found many answers, but this forum seems to have the most credible knowledge. I have tried germinating directly into soil that I mist regularly. I have used moist paper towels inside of a plastic bag or inside of a plastic box. I have soaked them in GA3 for 24 hours before trying the aforementioned methods. I have used a heat mat... Thusfar, my germnation rate is about 5 out of 40. I have never lost a seedling to dampening off, but most of the failed seeds become covered in black or grey mold.

Is warmth advisable? How moist should the medium be kept? Once they sprout how much watering do they need? ( I know that they prefer less when they are older) I have been able to find many suggestions and tips to get me started but if someone has a solid method I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time!

dont soak, dont mist.

sow point down, wing up, with wing sticking out (seed barely covered)

use standard well draining seed sowing media.

no plastic bag or dome (humidity is not their friend)

keep damp not too wet (humidity is not their friend)

bottom heat wouldnt hurt if its not in a small enclosed space (humidity is not their friend)

• Like 4

good advice as far, no need for GA 3 or any stuff...

sow, out when very warm, ~3mm deep, with the wing facing up.

sieve the top layer of the seed raising mixture you use, to give those seeds an extra fine start.

post-70-0-21247500-1354327188_thumb.jpg

catha_edulis_seedlings.JPG

catha_edulis_seedlings.JPG

• Like 5

That's a great picture! Those plants look very happy. How old are they at that point? My seedlings have scrawny yellow/green/red leaves and spindly stems. Definately a light issue which I have made some adjustments for. Could I have some weak seeds perhaps?

I admit that I am tinkering around with this in the off season and that may be contributing to my sad results. But I've managed to sprout kanna, tobacco, and even a kiwi berry sprout is comming up now... The cathas just aren't digging it. I may have to put this off for a few months.

is wing up really the true way? i also have alot of khat sprouted but i'm almost positive the the root came from the wing and went down into the soil. either way, they are incredibly easy to sprout if you have viable seeds.

• Like 1

I have lazily planted them by scattering them on a very well-drained potting mix, in the shade, with an open top but getting plenty of water. Germination rates are high if fresh, but as others point out, they are very prone to damping off if too wet. They transplant well, but again too much water can cause damping off. If you have heaps of seed, lazy sowing is okay but if others have had greater success wing up, and you have small amounts of seed, definitely do that. My thinking is, with quick to germinate seeds, is "as they fall naturally" . A shallow layer of very loose leaf litter on surface sown seed can provide some protection but may introduce disease.

To what extent should you let the soil dry out to?

I have some Catha I sowed mid last week sitting on a heat pad. No action yet and the seed raising mix is beginning to dry up now. Should I re-moisten the soil or just leave it be?

• Like 1

definately re-moisten. Keep it damp until they sprout.

• Like 1

Some variant of the cactus takeaway-container method, could work?

• Like 1