The Corroboree
whitewind

Australian Ethnobotanical Association

Well, I don't actually see a reason that there can't be two groups formed, if someone wanted to form the complementary group, and then these two groups together, hosted a direct campaign against this particular legislation - then the net of support would be cast a lot wider, as people could choose the organization to their taste, but still support the same campaign.

• Like 1

Okay,

So one of the ideas floated so far has been to write online conferencing as an acceptable way in which committee members can officially meet. I was reading an article yesterday on the Doha climate change talks in Qatar, where 17,000 people travelled in person to discuss reducing carbon dioxide emissions; and that didn't seem acceptable behaviour to me. If we are to write conservation and sustainability into the constitution, then travelling excessive distances for a meeting which might only last a few hours, then that isn't acceptable. It also allows us to cast our net further for committee members in other states (we have one person from Victoria who is keen), it allows us to become a genuine Australia wide group, and helps with organising events in different states. So here is casting that net for enthusiastic partners a bit wider..

• Like 2

One of the ideas floated has been to push for collector permits, where plants might be grown legitimately in spite of the law. We could make a submission in regards to this too, it might be a get-out clause for those who don't want to part with their older, hard-won plants. I don't think it is an acceptable long-term solution, but it might be a stop-gap measure while freedoms are fought for. It also doesn't help with obtaining new material, and it doesn't help commercial growers. One of the concerns is that it might prove prohibitively expensive to get a permit, if the government agrees and then goes down the same route as it has with growing poppies or hemp, and a complete list of plants in the collection might be required. Ideas on this would be appreciated.

This led me to thinking about conservation, where we traditionally think of government agencies (in particular registered botanic gardens) as the primary driver of conservation of endangered plant species. Having worked in both private and government run gardens, I am not convinced that this is so clear cut. Distribution of rare material isn't allowed easily from gov't institutions, which means they are usually the only holder of certain material - which then relies on the management to really care about it. Conversely, distribution of plants widely among enthusiasts almost guarantees their survival. Despite that, gov't institutions get an enormous amount of funding and private organisations nothing. Perhaps a study into the actual ability of botanic gardens to conserve live materiel, and into the ability of private collectors to conserve and distribute plants, could be made, which bolsters the idea of registering as a private collector. This is a big study, probably needs scientific minds too, and ideas from the community would be welcome for this.

I think that, other than growers, herbalists and medicine makers are also impacted by the new laws. If anyone is keen on making lists, it would be useful to have a complete list of plants which are likely to fall under these new regulations that are used in traditional medicine (e.g. Ayurveda, TCM, Unani, European, Native North American and South American).

Traditional medicine (e.g. Ayurveda, TCM, Unani, European, Native North American and South American).

Thats the key I recon, but please don't give the grubbyment a complete list until we get organised.lol

Lists can be PM'd if you prefer, but ultimately we will need to publish openly exactly what it is the that government is doing so people can see it in black and white. Lists of hundreds of plants will make people support the cause, on that alone, because it clearly isn't reasonable. Carefully catalogued into the impacts it has on different groups is even better, ultimately we need people to spend about 30 seconds looking at the vast quantity of information (as we know, about 30 seconds attention span is all it will get) and they will support us, maybe another minute to sign an online petition. So far, all I have seen is (legitimate) outrage, if we can provide details they will have no leg to stand on.

• Like 3

Your doing a great job Whitewind getting this up & going.

Shall add some thoughts when I get a moment

policy makers have already thoroughly thought through (<awesomethreewords) the variety of legal mechanisms via which access can be granted to those with specific requirements...

doors are always left open.

the trouble is trying to fit through the doors whilst not becoming a gidget under intense and constant scrutiny.

the way, is to use the association to register growers and users and to get them licenced and regulated. its all about compartmentalising and micromanagement.

so, take the power they have... and wield it.

but its all paperwork and no fun.

• Like 2

We now have a Facebook page up and running, please head over and like and join and whatever. We are progressing quite rapidly in this, I'll give an update later given half a chance

Edited by whitewind

So today we had a meeting with the avatar known as Altenate and he's fronted up some sorely needed funds to get this baby up and running, he's also keen to be a committee member (despite heaps of other commitments) so I just wanted to say a public Big Thanks and welcome and looking forward to working with you!

It looks like we might be on track for having the association up-and-running by January if all goes well (and Christmas doesn't get in the way) which is pretty amazing. Then the hard work really starts (LOL). At least, January should be less hectic with other commitments.

We are still looking for funds, so donations welcome (please PM me) thanks to Nothink who has run an auction and Kurto83 and Breadfilter who have both bought plants which were sold to raise funds.

Just in: Thed00dabides has just donated funds to cover public liability insurance, so many, many thanks for that! Looking forward to meeting up next weekend.

• Like 3

i'm in sydney for a few days, and am still interested in being a committee member.

keep me updated yo.

I also feel the increase use of natural medicines in Australia vs the gubbamuntz total lack of support in the area should be made a key issue.

I was reading a few months ago they will cease funding all homeopathy/natural medicine courses and no longer recognize it as a trade/ service in 2013? I can't find it now, can someone else help or remember?

I can't help thinking the two gubbamuntal decisions (banning natural medicine & there sources) aren't related?

D00d

• Like 1

I think the AMA has played a large role in that dood, they've used a few examples of natural practitioners causing harm so they are regulating the crap out of natural medicine.

It's all driven by big pharma/codex.

It's hypocritical bullshit, AMA doctors kill thousands every year and natural practitioners kill hardly any.

• Like 5

Nice new piece on the Facebook page about Acacia pycnantha

one thing that really lets you down when dealing with public image and being recognised as a valid source of information... if that is what one might be attempting to be doing, is spelling and grammr...

one thing i probably could have done better at ... tho absolutely couldnt have... and will not in the future i presume.

I think the AMA has played a large role in that dood, they've used a few examples of natural practitioners causing harm so they are regulating the crap out of natural medicine.

Ah yes, that is ringing a few bells.

Edited by thed00dabides

So where is this money going specifically ?

• Like 1

one thing that really lets you down when dealing with public image and being recognised as a valid source of information... if that is what one might be attempting to be doing, is spelling and grammr...

Damned Facebook, no editing facility. We've decided to edit each others work before publishing to avoid this, we are a bit short on time so things get rushed, but thanks for the feedback. I hate bad spelling... Thats the main reason why so many of my forum posts are edited. Sorry I missed you this week Reptyle it would have been good to meet up

From my auction the money will be going towards insurance. It seems like the auction has already well taken off and will speak with WW as to where the rest of the funds will be needed or directed. Ill clarify back in a day.

• Like 1

do you guys have anything like a mission statement yet? i'm still a little unclear as to what the overriding purpose is. are you intending for aea to be some sort of lobby group?

It'll come Qualia. We are still in the stages of initial setup of the founding members. There is a lot of local of local interests from members but it will require a lot of energy to maintain obviously. So far, my knowledge has 4 members very dedicated for the initial committee, and another member considering attending this Sunday.

There are approx $1000 worth of costs to initially setup what were trying, a rough breakdown can be found above I'm fairly sure. My auction will facilitate the purchase of insurance as web space. The CPA for accounts and design for the website can be handled probono by family members on my behalf. Any extra funds raised by myself will go towards (I assume) printing of fliers/advertising and purchasing of running tools ie diaries for costs, balance books etc.

We are all very keen on giving you a final, definitive answer as soon as humanly possible. I hope by NYE, we are able to officially announce our stances and financial situation.

I hope everyone can stay positive, until at the very least, we can provide a coordinated response on behalf of the official AEA committee. In saying that, any constructive criticism is welcome on here and we will try to answer them as best as possible in the meantime.

• Like 1