The Corroboree
santiago

Exercising your mind - Brain pain

I have been sitting here for nearly an hour. Thinking about the universe, life, death, time, religion, superstition and the sun blowing up in a million years, also about the immortal jellyfish and the eclipse. I wrote about two lines, and my brain stopped working. Basically i was heading to a place, that place was the all powerful answer to life, the meaning of life, god, creation, the universe expanding into nothing and ......... clunk. My brain shut down. Im kind of glad it did, what? another wanky thread trying to explain the so called meaning of life, .....clunk. The end.

But im determined to make up time, and take this thread seriously. So forgetting the illogical life theory of previous paragraph im simply going to turn the conversation logical.

The logical method will be brainteasers.

I will start off with 5 simpler teasers of which i have copied down from my reference book. Then i will ask you the final question. All of these teasers are true and factual, not made up by the myself as some kind of trick. I think a few of you may have seen the final question before, so i will rename the characters to try disguise the puzzle.

So be it, the race is on to find the chosen one.

1) How many flowers do i have if all of them are roses except two, all of them are tulips except two, and all of them are daisy's except two?

2) You have three boxes of checkers: one labeled "red checkers", one labeled "black checkers" and one labeled "black and red checkers. Unfortunately each label is on a wrong box. By taking only one checker from one box, how can you label each box correctly?

3) On October 1 you go to the first lecture in a weekly series of four lectures. On what date will the final lecture take place?

4) A camera costs $100, including the case. The camera costs $80 more than the case. How much does the case cost?

5)A cookie recipie calls for three cups of flour. You have only a two cup container and a seven cup container, both of which are otherwise unmarked. How can you measure out exactly three cups of flour using only these two containers?

So thats the warm up round. Within the week i will publish the answers. For the final question which i will simply refer to as THE END PUZZLE i will give that a month. I obviously wont put the answers and re modify this OP as that will spoil it for those attempting in the future but the OP will be modified to show what post no# to find the answers. Simply refer to the RED writing at the bottom of this post (post 1) when it eventually becomes available. This will make sense later.

Are you ready...........................................

For THE END PUZZLE.

(note-out of a group of 240 people, only 6 came back with correct answer. There is no catch and was solved in 5-10 minutes by some. every fact is important as must be considered)

The end puzzle) On a train , Jack, Percy and Anderson are the fireman, brakeman and engineer, but NOT respectively. Also aboard are three businessmen who have the same names a Mr Jack, a Mr Percy and a Mr Anderson.

1)Mr Percy lives in Detroit

2)The brakeman lives exactly halfway between Chicago and Detroit.

3)Mr Anderson earns exactly $20000 per year.

4)The brakemans nearest neighbour, one of the passengers, earns exactly three times as much as the brakeman.

5)Jack beats the fireman at billiards.

6)The passenger with the same name as the brakesman lives in Chicago.

WHO IS THE ENGINEER?

Good luck and results will be given TBA........clunk : )

• Like 1

1) 3

2) dunno

3) October 29th

4) $20

5) (a)Fill the 7 cup container

(B) pour from the 7 cup into the 2 cup container until full.

© repeat 2

(d) the 7 cup container now contains 3 cups.

end puzzle: jack

this was just the kind of procrastination i needed :wink:

1 = 2

2 = ?

3 = 22

4 = 10

5 = 7-2-2=3

The Engineer is Dave.

damn, i realise my other mistakes, but how did you work out the engineer was dave? PM if you want!

1) 3

2) All the boxes are wrong so take one checker from the mixed box.

If it is black then label it the black box. The other 2 are wrong

switch the labels.

black & red box - take black checker = black box

red box - will be black

black box - will be mixed

3) 25th October (4 lectures per week on consecutive days)

4) $10

5) Fill the 7 cup and remove 2 cups of flour twice.

End puzzle) Jack is Engineer

Always show how you worked it out children :)

jack not fireman

percy - fireman

anderson - brakesman

?brakesman - halfway chicago and detroit

?brakesman - nearest passenger neighbour earns 3 times as much

?brakesman - same name lives in chicago (jack and mr percy is taken)

?fireman - jack beats him at billiards

mr jack

mr percy - detroit

mr anderson - $20 000

Got them all except the checker one. Thanks for the answer Buttsack.