The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
lemmiwinks

New to SAB and New Zealand

Hello hello everyone!

It's a windy, grey day, I don't have much to do and sipping on a cup of chai I thought it would be a good time as any to properly introduce myself to what seems like a really neat and friendly community here.

I've come and gone a few times in New Zealand, and only recently decided to settle here for a while and start exploring all the things I didn't do over the last few years, travelling somewhat aimlessly and quietly observing the world around me.

I've really loved NZ so far, temporarily leaving out the subjects of high cost of living and immigration issues, the country is plain beatiful, many (most?) people are really relaxed and open-minded enough to let you do your own thing.

Growing up in busy european cities, it's a breath of fresh air and a new found inspiration in life that I desperately needed.

I am hoping to one day call the west coast my home, living self-sufficiently and enjoying life day by day, with the knowledge of how lucky we all are to be in a place like this.

One of my big passions and interest is technology, what some people like to call "sensibly applied technology", meaning for the good and benefit of human kind and the environment around us, straying well away from commercial and profit interests.

It's still early days for me, but if anyone is one the same wavelength and the same country I'd love to get connected.

Recently I've built a RepRap (self replicating 3d filament printer) so if anyone's keen on giving it a go I could print off the plastic parts for you.

Shameless request: if anyone has anything they're willing to share, I'd love to start my collection here in NZ :)

Thanks and love to everyone for making SAB what I'm guessing (hoping) it is

• Like 1

Wecome :)

Would love to see some pics of your printer! Soon to get one at work, woot!

Hello and welcome to the forum and to Aotearoa.

I'm sure you'll find both to be enjoyable and rewarding places to dwell.

3D printer sounds cool, i cant really get my head around that sort of stuff but its right down my dad's alley, he's a full time CAD designer, yet his job restricts him to building parts for model airplanes, so i'd be interested in seeing any of your creations.

Creative minds with access to such technology and the freedom to experiment will inevitably produce some amazing stuff.

I may be able to help you out with a few things, what sort of plants are you interested in growing?

hi lemmiwinks! welcome and thanks for the heads up on the reprap, i hadn't heard of it. i might be needing a 3d printer sometime so it would be great if i could build a low cost one at home, can you post pictures of things you've printed with it?

Yep the whole 3d printing thing is pretty cool, I'll slowly be exploring more to do with electronic prototyping, it's a good and easy way of printing mechanical parts that can be used to experiment with new ideas and devices.

The printer itself is quite simple, 4 stepper motors move the extruder around the 3 axis, another stepper motor controls feeding the plastic spool (seen on the left of the picture) into the heated nozzle.

The whole thing moves around controlled by software, melting plastic and adding it layer by layer to form the desired object.

It's a recent build so I've not done much with it for now, the other day I needed a compass to draw circles so just printed two small braces that wrap around a wooden stick, the results is attached, should at least give an idea of the level of detail that you can get.

My setup has an extruder nozzle of 0.3mm, so that's the minimum "precision" the machine can obtain, although it is possible to go lower by using different nozzle sizes, just requires a bit more work with calibration.

post-12225-0-48641300-1353470137_thumb.j

post-12225-0-26111400-1353470143_thumb.j

post-12225-0-48641300-1353470137_thumb.jpg

post-12225-0-26111400-1353470143_thumb.jpg

post-12225-0-48641300-1353470137_thumb.jpg

post-12225-0-26111400-1353470143_thumb.jpg

i just want one so i can make glo in the dark sex toys

I have some Trichocereus seeds from Aussie i can send you , also some Nicotiana rustica and N.tobaccum

i just want one so i can make glo in the dark sex toys

that can be arranged if you truly desire, i don't have any glow in the dark plastic spool at the moment but planning on getting some, if you send over a design i can print it off, keeping in mind 20cm is the max length/width I can print at.

incidentally, you're not the first one to suggest doing so.

I have some Trichocereus seeds from Aussie i can send you , also some Nicotiana rustica and N.tobaccum

very kind of you, might take you up on that, PM sending time ;)

that can be arranged if you truly desire, i don't have any glow in the dark plastic spool at the moment but planning on getting some, if you send over a design i can print it off, keeping in mind 20cm is the max length/width I can print at.

:) welcome to the forums my friend :)