The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
theuserformallyknownasd00d

WTB/Trade Khat

Hi all, I am looking to purchase some Khat. Happy to trade, I have a heap of cactus seed ATM of 15+ varieties or can pay good money.

I've not posted for this as I wasn't sure of the rules but found this and thought it would be ok as it states it is fine aslong as it is not extracted...

http://www.ndlerf.go...onograph_40.pdf

Thanks a lot

D00d

Edited by El presidente Hillbillios
keeping it legal

A mate of mine has been collecting his red and green leaves for over a year and only last week threw them out. whoops

I thought cathinone broke down very quickly and only fresh leaves were used?

• Like 1

hey guys,

cathinone is illegal under drug laws. Any herbage or unrooted plant material would be considered cathinone and wouldnt be legal for trade in at least NSW.

Trading of rooted plants is ok (except Qld). but any herbage or unrooted plant material isnt legal

This article clears up alot of unknowns between the states as far as the law is concerned, interpereted and enforced. And the current status of khat in Oz, I was unaware of such an extensive trade and the laws for certain states. Luckily common sence seems to actually prevail in most cases when dealing with ethnic minorities. Unsure how they'd treat a westerner. Also this article is from 2012, so is current.

http://www.ndlerf.go...onograph_40.pdf

for example

Western Australia Police recently reported several identified incidents where shipments of khat were seized in

Western Australia (WA Police 2010, 11). The report identifies three incidents in 2010 and one in 2009, with a

combined weight of 25.3 kg. The shipments came from Victoria and were repackaged to send in the ordinary

mail to other places within Western Australia. The report also suggests that some khat is exported from

Western Australia to Victoria, although this is said to be much smaller scale, with about 4 kg seized in 2010

(WA Police 2010, 11). According to the report, packages have generally been identified by their strong smell

(WA Police 2010, 11).

It also seems that state and federal laws contradict in many states and even the law makers are unsure as to which law would be enforced.: read from page 16 for this info:

In Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory

khat, cathinone and cathine are regulated under criminal statutes. The problem that regulation in these states

and territories poses is whether it is legal to possess khat in these jurisdictions if an individual possesses an

import permit and licence under the Australian Government regime. OCSEH has advised that licences are

currently only granted to individuals in Victoria, New South Wales and Tasmania (Aslimoska 2010). In 2008,

437 licences were issued in Victoria and 21 licences in New South Wales (House of Representatives 2008, 1).

Presumably, this is because it has been decided that granting licences to individuals in other states and territories

will lead to individuals inevitably breaking the law in those jurisdictions once they are in possession of khat.

other interesting things.

Each week in 2009, there were on average 43 clearances of 5 kg shipments of khat through the Melbourne

airport via the postal and air cargo streams, an average of 215 kg a week. The amount of khat being imported

into Australia appears to be increasing. In 1997, 70 kg were imported, while in 2008, 2,130 kg were imported

well worth the read

Edited by naja naja

I thought cathinone broke down very quickly and only fresh leaves were used?

The article naja naja refers to above has a few references from recent studies (forensics studies from the last few years) which indicate that the extent of cathinone breakdown may have been overestimated - so dried khatmay have active amounts of cathinone, but it likely depends on drying & storage conditions. Apparently some of the confusion was due to forensic samples being stored badly - i.e. khat was seized by cops or customs and shoved into a storeroom, but by the time they got around to analysing it, they couldn't find any cathinone. It would be strange for there to be such a large market for dried product if it's really inactive.

• Like 1

The article naja naja refers to above has a few references from recent studies (forensics studies from the last few years) which indicate that the extent of cathinone breakdown may have been overestimated - so dried khatmay have active amounts of cathinone, but it likely depends on drying & storage conditions. Apparently some of the confusion was due to forensic samples being stored badly - i.e. khat was seized by cops or customs and shoved into a storeroom, but by the time they got around to analysing it, they couldn't find any cathinone. It would be strange for there to be such a large market for dried product if it's really inactive.

thank you for clarifying, very informative. I didn't know there was a market for it, i am quite out of touch with things like that

Also, the method used for many extractions destroyed the cathinone, like heating it in a conc basic form. So for a long time, they couldn't even isolate cathinone.

Just a point of interest. The guy that was arrested and charged with trespass and drug possession offenses for jumping my fence and taking branches off my tree was in the end offered a deal and plead guilty for the trespass ( I think ) and was let off with a slap on the wrist and warned never to come back to my place.

Cheers

Got

Edited by GoOnThen

refreshing to see the police have their priorities in the right place for once.