The Corroboree
Psyentist

San Pedro getting brown spots. Is she ok?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post in the forum after being a long time follower.

I was just after some advice concerning my San Pedro cactus.

I had one cactus which was about a foot tall and decided to cut it up into three pieces.

The top piece and bottom piece are doing fine but the middle piece, which I laid down flat seems to be getting brown spots which I am a little worried about.

Some new little pups started sprouting about a week ago but in the last few days I've noticed these brown spots which seem to be oozing some sort of dark brown sap out of them.

I've included a photo so you can see what I'm talking about. They don't seem to be soft which eases my mind a little.

Is this a problem ?

Thanks in advance.

looks like rot, if it tastes like death.. its rot

probably QLD humidity related, it shouldn't kill it. Just let it dry out, if it gets worse hit it with some sulphur powder.

• Like 3

Listen to Stillman

• Like 1

the problems with planting logs flat.. i suppose, i assume it would eventually all scar up after a year or two.

dont know as ive never planted logs flat but a fair few here have, so you should get more info.

be interesting to see what people have to say.

Listen to Stillman

Yea, looks like the spots are around the aeroles so probably humidity related as Stillman mentioned. I'd also treat it as Stillman suggests :wink:

Welcome, and good luck!

Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

It has been quite humid here so you are probably right.

I'll just try and leave it to dry out and if it does get worse then try the old sulphur powder.

Is that something you'd get from a gardening store?

I hope she pulls through!

Also, I only planted it flat because I'd heard that there was a chance I'd get more little pups from it.

Looking at it now though the only pups are growing from what was the top cut so probably should have just planted it upright.

Oh well, next time hey.

Thanks again!

Edited by Psyentist

They are really tough plants once they are a certain size, they do in my experience every now and then get a bit of black spot from humidity in SEQ. It may throw some more pups off the log or you could Bap6 it and make it .

Heres an example of a log segment I buried the original piece under sand.

DSCF2001-20.jpg

Wow, that's beautiful Stillman,

I like the little baby in the middle, it gives me hope that mine may throw out a few more.

I had been misting the top of the log about one a week to give it some water as I was trying to keep the soil dry to prevent rot but now, with the humidity as well, I think that's probably what's caused my problem.

Here's a picture of the stump that I cut the others from. You can see the little one growing on the bottom right, that was actually the first one to pop out but stopped growing when the other two came through. I figured with the one growing above it it's got nowhere to go so put all it's energy into the upper two.

I'm quite new to growing cactus', what this Bap6 you speak of? I think I'll just let it do it's own thing anyway.

Thanks a lot mate!

post-11385-0-70408400-1353023853_thumb.j

post-11385-0-70408400-1353023853_thumb.jpg

post-11385-0-70408400-1353023853_thumb.jpg

Yeah don't worry about the Bap I just love the stuff, but its not necessary. By misting the top you were increasing the humidity so may have contributed. It looks like aPC pach you have they are really hardy I recon you could leave them in a bucket of water for a week and they would get black spot but come good if the heat was in the day. I find like most things the more you baby them the more they look sad. lol

Yeh they are hardy mofos,i wouldnt stress.

where do you get your bap6 from stillman?

Edited by flumsquid