The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Savage Gardener

Sacred cacti health care for newbies

Hi all,

I've recently come by a few plants that look like they may need a little help, health wise...

Hoping for some advice from those that have experience with whatever illness(es) these recent acquisitions may be suffering from....(rot/scale??) Best form of care/treatment I should be providing for these plants.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

SlB

Gallery here....

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=601

Pics below...just realised I could drag 'em here....

Edited by EssEllBee

probably scale bro, posted in the gallery aswell...

rub your thumb down the white crap and see if any comes off.

Bit of black rot which should go away. I wouldnt water it until you find out what the problem.

• Like 1

Here's a Pach tip cutting that I rooted earlier in the year. New growth (predominantly past 2 mths) looking healthy but a bit of an odd colouration in lower half I've never noticed...

Could possibly be from one of the eggs my Missus dropped in the pot after collecting it?...bless her, trying to put him under cover as it was raining and I was overseas....

med_gallery_11709_601_1136303.jpg

med_gallery_11709_601_658685.jpg

probably scale bro, posted in the gallery aswell...

rub your thumb down the white crap and see if any comes off.

Bit of black rot which should go away. I wouldnt water it until you find out what the problem.

Thanks Spacemonk...Just saw your comments. Cheers

And here's my penis....

Only got him very recently...Bare rooted, potted him up, as advised...How's it look to Y'all? :P

med_gallery_11709_601_425956.jpg

med_gallery_11709_601_568083.jpg

med_gallery_11709_601_874942.jpg

In my opinion:

1. The top one (cuzco/knuthianus) looks like it has some scarring from rot in the past or something else. The small black spot should just heal. The speckly white stuff is scale. I wouldn't spray with pyrethrum though, most Trichos hate it and it could cause more problems. I usually just scrub the scale off with a toothbrush.

2. The second one (pach/scop) looks OK to me. Maybe a bit pale and spotty from excessive sun or something, but otherwise fine.

3. The TBM also looks fine to me, just a bit of scarring from some past wounds.

• Like 2

In my opinion:

1. The top one (cuzco/knuthianus) looks like it has some scarring from rot in the past or something else. The small black spot should just heal. The speckly white stuff is scale. I wouldn't spray with pyrethrum though, most Trichos hate it and it could cause more problems. I usually just scrub the scale off with a toothbrush.

2. The second one (pach/scop) looks OK to me. Maybe a bit pale and spotty from excessive sun or something, but otherwise fine.

3. The TBM also looks fine to me, just a bit of scarring from some past wounds.

Thankyou TheExplorer... Happy to receive advice from those who own and have owned these type of plants... My thumbs are green, but hadn't been pricked by the cactus obsession until recently, much to learn!

I'd agree with the prognosis, nice plants. We have to catch up man.

• Like 1

I'd agree with the prognosis, nice plants. We have to catch up man.

Yeah Stillman, maybe next Monday if you're free?

scratch the soft 'fuzzy' white scale off with a toothbrush, before it becomes hard 'calloused' 'witches broom-like caulking', that is so notorious on TBM's in humid conditions (Aus East Coast from Coffs Harbour North)

• Like 1

Hi guys. Happy new year!! :shroomer:

My Cuzco that has the mite problem isn't showing any signs of success with the toothbrush method.

I am wondering if anyone has used Searles White oil on one (or similar cacti) sucessfully before??

It's nnot in 100% full sun, so I don't think it will burn it (am I wrong?) It is behind a 30% green shadecloth, getting morning to midday sun (filtered by said shadecloth) in Brisbane (ie - HOT!!!!)

Halp?

Link to the gallery here http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=6348 (the last 4 pictures are recent...

=)

Bullit I have to agree with your FAARKEN MITES :uzi: post I just cam across....

• Like 1

Do your plants get rain SG? Where are you growing them (like inside, outside, etc)?

no mate. They're under patio cover, they get morning to midday sun, filtered through a 30% green shadecloth.

Don't use white oil it always causes weird rotty black spot on my trichs I think it blocks the pores and they get sunburnt. Use liquid sulphur or pyrethium.

Or just by some premixed shit that seems to work well like scale gun or some sort of Rose spray maybe, but no oils in my opinion..

Edited by Stillman

So mix up some Mancozeb powder with water and spray you reckon Stillman?

yeah give it a go, some of it may just be old scaring but.