The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

New Greenhouse

The plastic one I bought less than 6 months ago had literally blowin itself to pieces and was at the point of being more duct tape than plastic!

So I found this on Trademe for the cost of 2x new plastic ones. It looks to be a few years old, but plenty of life left in it yet! I've used rust converter on the galvanised base where it was starting to wear/rust.

Had to extend the boxing I had put down for the other greenhouse which was a bit of a mission, but here it is! I've used the shelving from the plastic one inside until ai have time to build some better shelving. Oh and the ugly brown fence is on the list of things to replace - should be replaced with a nice black fence like the rest of it.

post-1500-0-49794400-1352611143_thumb.jp

post-1500-0-13265700-1352611150_thumb.jp

post-1500-0-11037000-1352611154_thumb.jp

post-1500-0-97043000-1352611157_thumb.jp

post-1500-0-49794400-1352611143_thumb.jpg

post-1500-0-13265700-1352611150_thumb.jpg

post-1500-0-11037000-1352611154_thumb.jpg

post-1500-0-97043000-1352611157_thumb.jpg

post-1500-0-49794400-1352611143_thumb.jpg

post-1500-0-13265700-1352611150_thumb.jpg

post-1500-0-11037000-1352611154_thumb.jpg

post-1500-0-97043000-1352611157_thumb.jpg

Edited by bit
  • Like 12

Looks good bit!

Hope it cleans up nicely :)

Sometime in the future I will have to get myself a greenhouse too.

• Like 1

that variegated tricho in th egreen house is awesome.

• Like 3

that variegated tricho in th egreen house is awesome.

Which one? ;)

• Like 2

Looking real good bit! Your plants will love you. :wink:

How is the base of the gh attached to the pad?

I'm guessing stillman is revering to the tall one on the far right. T. Bridgesii or hybrid? Also, is that a variegated monstrose brodgesii on the shelves to the left?

Awesome!

I was watching a docu couple days ago , and I realised now south NZ is, so its got snowy mountains and all.

Edited by mutant

Holy shit I didn't see the variegated TBM nice one.

The plastic one I bought less than 6 months ago had literally blowin itself to pieces and was at the point of being more duct tape than plastic!

That wouldn't have been a Bunnings one that fell apart would it... those shelves look familiar. I had one too, and the shelving was the best part of the green house.. I kept all the racks, and it has many uses . (not hanging shit on Bunnings, just some of the crap they sell)

Your green house looks great. Its a bit easier to control some pests in a confined area like that.

May you germinate many a seed, and may your plants grow big and healthy.

:)

• Like 1

I have a bunnings one that is constantly threatening to explode with all my pretties in it lol. Keeps me up at night in storm season. I have re-enforced mine with star pickets and a voodoo protection spell, so far so good.

• Like 4

Nice!

It might need a bit of shade to keep the temps under control come January/February.

• Like 1

That wouldn't have been a Bunnings one that fell apart would it... those shelves look familiar. I had one too, and the shelving was the best part of the green house.. I kept all the racks, and it has many uses . (not hanging shit on Bunnings, just some of the crap they sell)

Hehe my bunnings one didnt die by itself though i pulled it apart to move and the plastic all stuck together and i couldnt get it back apart :( again like everyone else i still have the shelves. Decent quality shelves. And all the extra bars have become stakes in my garden so it has all gone to use :D For $99 i didnt expect hat much. I purchased a $200 one that is made of much stronger materials (plastic cover more like a tarp strength wise rather than glad wrap. And the solid metal poles are like those on atrampoline. Didnt come with shelves but i prefer to use the old ones i have and custom build some new ones

I have found a heap of real cheap greenhouses on crazysales. They are the same price i paid for my bunnings one but twice the size and stronger materials

3.5 x 2m = 95 + 30 shipping

http://www.crazysales.com.au/large-round-roof-plant-greenhouse-3-5m-x-2-0m-x-2-0m.html

• Like 2

Thanks guys :) For anyone who wants to see what the previous one looked like, here is the thread where I did the installation (it was the same as yours Stillman). As described above, it was blown to pieces (never took off though). I binned the torn cover and kept the shelves and poles for future use in the garden ;)

http://www.shaman-au...showtopic=32368

Attached is a closer image of that corner of the greenhouse.

Thelogonus crest

Huasca crest

Strigosus crest

Pachanoi crest

M. Elongata crest

TBM varigate

+ various named echinopsis hybrids

post-1500-0-05845000-1352700463_thumb.jp

post-1500-0-05845000-1352700463_thumb.jpg

post-1500-0-05845000-1352700463_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

bout time :P

looking good in there, the pink flowered echinopsis is great!

damnit i had the same crappy greenhouse as my salvia house.. gave up repairing the holes in it :(

Those crests are hideous you should post them to me in Australia so I can destroy them.. and the TBM... and the pink echinopsis.... lol

Really nice man, how old would you say some of those crests are, I have a HAmiltons crest which may or may not be cuzco I can't beleive how fast it grows, but I have it in a hot/green house. Like Sally D says I'd think about shade clothing the lid, but in saying this that is from my Evil Australian Summer sun prospective, not sure about your summers, My green house has been hitting 45s and up to 50 degrees in the pitch of the roof at midday for the last month or so (no plants higher than the shelving so no issues yet.. I already have to have the door open, but thats oK the magical plastic has ripped in the seam their so I don't have a door as such lol.

Stillman - I've had these pach crests for upwards of 5 years. They seem quite slow growers for me! The huasca is a fast grower though - although I've only had it 5 years I got it when it fit in a 10cm pot - it's also suffered some serious damage a year or so ago when my old greehouse collapsed but you can't even see that anymore. The others I haven't had very long at all Would be interested in seeing your "cuzco" crest :)

The greenhouse does have a vent in the roof, so I'll be using that to keep temps down. Has anyone used one of the thermal / automatic openers for a greenhouse vent? They seem cheapish so I might just get one to see how it goes. Just concerned that they won't close fast enough. I'd like to keep the temp around 35-40 for as long as possible, and at that temp they auto openers are fully open already.

Oh, and the pink flower is echinopsis spring blush - CC has heaps of them if anyone needs one ;)

Edited by bit

I'll take a photo of my crest for you in the morning, you see them around a fair bit at the moment.

Heres a pic of my Crest notice the two pups forming.

DSCF2001-21.jpg

DSCF2002-23.jpg

DSCF2003-13.jpg

• Like 2

shit I should have taken a pic of the dodgy greenhouse too. lol Note 3rd photo it looks like the door is open, No. Thats just were the seem used to be, now its a window lol.

did you give that crest BAP6 still man?

i've got a bridgesii that absolutely refuses to grow, i cut the top off so far nothing, i think i need to do something to get it moving

So thought I'd update this somewhat as it's out of date!

All was fine and dandy until we built a garage! Then it was temporarily moved a few feet backwards, onto the grass behind the garage.

WP_20131222_11_35_12_Pro_zpsfb6fa2f7.jpg

Looks ok right? Turns out grass and weeds like greenhouses even more than cacti! :(

WP_20131222_11_35_37_Pro_zps2e1ac2ed.jpg

However, I had a plan! I relocated it again to it's permanent new home, reboxed and tamped the gravel (bought a tamper as suggested above). One of the great things about this site is there's room to expand if I ever replace it :D

WP_20131224_09_15_53_Pro_zpsdd2e3a4b.jpg

With just a gravel floor, weeds still come through and are a real pain. I bought 100KG of instant concrete, and spread it out dry over the gravel:

WP_20131224_09_38_45_Pro_zps7891a08a.jpg

I then turned the hose onto sprinkle, and wet the instant concrete thoroughly. Flattened out with the help of a straight piece of timber. It turned out pretty well considering it was a cheap job :)

WP_20131226_12_31_53_Pro_zps75635533.jpg

WP_20140104_11_35_34_Pro_zpsd8ed331a.jpg
  • Like 2