The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PhoenixSon

Was wondering if this was a decent tec to make a spore print!! Thoughts?

Is this the way to go?

Have access to heaps of different gourmet mushrooms that arnt usually available in Aus and was hoping to bring back some sterile prints...

avagoodone

From what I've read, you don't need to bother sterilising foil.. Apparently it comes off the roll clean enough.

The couple of prints I've made, I just do the following:

1) harvest mushroom wearing gloves (washed arms/hands and wiped with isopropyl alcohol)

2) move to glovebox

3) remove a bit of foil off the roll

4) take a bit of foil, cut to size inside glovebox using a clean pair of scissors (wiped with isopropyl alcohol)

5) twist the stem off the mushroom (or use a cleaned scalpel)

6) place cap on foil, cover with clean glass

Leave for 24 hours or so, then using cleaned gloves again, in the glove box, remove glass and cap, fold up spore printed foil.

MASSIVE DISCLAIMER: Neither I nor anyone else has tried one of my prints yet, so they may not be clean.. But this seems to be a pretty common way of spore printing.

I've also read it may help sterility if you harvest a mushroom before the veil breaks.. then cut open the veil and remove the cap inside a glove box. This way, the veil has protected

the mushroom and the gills haven't been as exposed to open air..

I'm curious as to how slack (or not) other people are with their spore printing?

Edited by SYNeR
  • Like 1

ye thats pretty much exactly the same as me but i just cut the foil then wipe with alcohol wipes in the glove box hasnt been any trouble so far... just wondering if its necessary to take the cap off and let the spores dry? or is it ok to just take cap off and fold up the foil

• Like 1

or put the foil you want to use wack it in a oven bag and put it in the oven for a bit i always do this before print making and never had any problems with

contams on my spores

• Like 1

ye thats pretty much exactly the same as me but i just cut the foil then wipe with alcohol wipes in the glove box hasnt been any trouble so far... just wondering if its necessary to take the cap off and let the spores dry? or is it ok to just take cap off and fold up the foil

You want your prints as dry as can be any moisture on them will cause Contams

take the caps off and leave the print till any left over moisture evaporates

I don't bother sterilizing the foil anymore I used to but I've found it's really not necessary

• Like 3

I have heard, that seeing as the mushroom isn't sterilized, why bother sterilizing the foil?

• Like 1

sterilizing foil

lol contamination paranoia

• Like 6

There's a few quotes of Roger Rabbit's around saying if you just take off the first couple of feet of foil, the rest is quite sterile from the manufacturing process anyway..

Unless I missed it, the tek in the video above didn't mention anything about a glove box.. If you're going to sterilise foil, then expose it to open air to print on to it -- kinda defeats the purpose of sterilising it.

I would have thought?

• Like 2

schweet thanks for everyones ideas/thoughts!

was wondering if there is any interest in gourmet spore prints in aus, of the above mentioned species?

Im not kitted up @ the moment to grow any at the moment but can supply spores to anyone that is keen.

Just want to gauge interest, if there is any?

Thanks again.

Starting to get interested in the funky fungus.

i'd be keen for any edible prints mate :)

but if you are going to use agar i dont really see the point in the anal vector theory as long as your not in a highly contaminated area

( like me i was in my shed doing it epic fail ) the great thing about agar is you can check for contams before you inoculate your jars

and it is really cheap to set up.

• Like 1

Putting alfoil in oven is overkill

Id bet the foil comes put less clean than if you simply used foil strait from the roll after taking the dirtier outise sheet off

• Like 1

Per the video soundtrack, you should always make spore prints while playing Shpongle's Divine Moments of Truth.

• Like 2

Not to mention hot air circulating around the oven throwing around god knows what. Hot air is nowhere near as efficent as steam/water in sterilization

I didn't see this mentioned but something I've found you need to do is put a toothpick under the glass jar so that the mushroom doesn't sweat as that will ruin your print. Until I knew this a lot of my prints would end up bad, after doing this I get really nice spore prints.

• Like 1

Thats a good idea, Ive experienced the same problem.

Instead of using a tooth pick, after taking the glass off i folded my foil over but dont seal it till the next day, giving the spores time to crisp up.

Ill give your toothpick idea a try next time.

so does the toothpick adsorb the moisture i put silca in the jar when i make prints

I don't know if it's just been the mushrooms I've been printing but I've found that I get much thicker spore prints doing it with a toothpick. I've left big caps under a jar with no toothpick for 38 hours and had barely any spores on my print compared to when the toothpick is there but this could just be due to different specimens/species. So when you do give it a go feel free to let me know how you found the print thickness.

Sorry missed your post bigred. The toothpick doesn't absorb moisture but does allow the cap to breathe and doesn't end up with sweat all over the print. Silica would work too, I'll have to give it a go next time :)

Edited by Shamanistic
  • Like 1

Funny you mention silica, i was thinking about that the last few day and thats basically exacttly how i plan to do my next primts. However i will be using an upside down take away container (minor difference i know).