The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
flumsquid

terscheckii??

Question

10 answers to this question

I rather think Candicans...Definately not Terscheckii.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

Bit early to tell, could be, or candicans or pasacana.

Interesting Eg, I thought candicans aswell. Curious why you rule out terscheckii?

Edited by shruman
  • Like 1

The spines on Candicans are more needle like, very straight while Terscheckii shows some thicker spines that are very oftenly curved as well. Spine shape is very typical for candicans too. I do a lot of my crosses with Candicans as It has huge potential for creating awesome hybrids. Candicans has a very unique skin color as well. In many cases, it looks oiled, waxy or shiny. Dont know how to describe this in english as i have major brainfreeze and look like a bombed out village right now because i didnt have my coffee yet but am pretty sure its Candicans.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 4

I'll have to take some pics of a plant I think of as candicans with thicker curvier spines than usual for you EG & get your opinion. how variable do you find the species?

It is extremely variable as it accepts all kind of pollen. This applies to the general appearance as well as to the flowers. Flower color ranges from yellow to red to multicolored. You can say that almost every second population of Candicans in Nature has Natural hybrids that somehow differ from the others.

I created some hybrids with em that look very different from Candicans. And it only took one generation for them to change their Appearance like that, you know. Great Plant to show why the general appearance of plants isnt enough to judge about the origin.

Am happy to have a look at the pics.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Interesting eg.

what sp. have you crossed with candicans?

Edited by flumsquid

Cant list, too much. Candicans is one of the most oftenly used plants in the german Echinopsis Scene. There is a certain hybrid called "Cantora" which stands for CANdicans and Echinopsis TORAlapana and its been widely used through the whole scene.

This is a pic that shows a cross with Cantora yellow. Cross is not done by me, just linking to some of the pics.

normal_Neu_RL_1433-WH-1_Cantora_Gelb_x_Cantora_Rotorange_20_cm.jpg

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

Yeah they are awesome and i try to cross with the CANTORA Hybrid as much as i can too. If you look closely at the shape of the plants, you´ll see they have very few similarities with the regular Candicans. That shows how fast and drastically the general appearance can change within one generation. Thats why i think that in some cases, its absolutely im-fucking-possible to tell the parents of a cross. Sure, some of them are very easy to tell but in my eyes it makes no sense to do ID-Speculations on so called hybrids. Another reason is that there are always plants from within one seed pod, that look totally diffrent than the rest. Genetical Variability is huge and from 10 Sisterplants from a cross like Bridgesii x Peruvianus, some will always look a little bit diffrent.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1