The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

A Urine Powered Generator

Posted on Tuesday, November 6, 2012 · 4 Comments

8161674482_6afa443513_c.jpg

Possibly one of the more unexpected products at Maker Faire Africa this year in Lagos is a urine powered generator, created by four girls. The girls are Duro-Aina Adebola (14), Akindele Abiola (14), Faleke Oluwatoyin (14) and Bello Eniola (15).

1 Liter of urine gives you 6 hours of electricity.

IMG_4498-550x412.jpg

The system works like this:

• Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which separates out the hydrogen.
  • The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.
  • The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.
  • This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator.

Along the whole way there are one-way valves for security, but let’s be honest that this is something of an explosive device…

IMG_4499-550x412.jpg

http://makerfaireafrica.com/2012/11/06/a-urine-powered-generator/

• Like 4

very cool, although i think solar panels would be easier in africa

very cool, although i think solar panels would be easier in africa

Urine powered solar panels? :)

• Like 2

it would never take off how would they tax everyone for something that doesnt have to be raped from the earth ... farkin brilliant idea though

three girls and a generator

• Like 4

those girls are dehydrated

• Like 4

Don't most people do this experiment at school? Except water, not urine :wink: . I've helped run a mower off hydrogen and fuel vapour with no modifications to the engine.

I'm in no way putting these girls down, but this thing is going to use far more electricity than it puts out.

Maybe its their first project on the parth for a perpetual hydrogen cell?

EDIT: Typical Nigerian scam :lol:

Edited by Thegribbs
  • Like 1

handy for bush parties; "quick, everyone piss in the genny!", would save someone a trip into town lol

• Like 2

Folks - stop taking the piss out of them! They might have entirely different plans for that hydrogen...and with some our urine after a Dionysus bush party there'd be wonders indeed concentrating anode end!

(Evidently one has used the "power" to become invisible - the caption reads 4 girls.)

Edited by Pat Uri
  • Like 1

(Evidently one has used the "power" to become invisible - the caption reads 4 girls.)

Spectacular observation, and the funniet post this week. Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

Thank you Psylo - but I think Negative Dave was pretty damn good with that "dehydrated" comment. I didn't get it at first, until I saw the electrolyte. Now it is not that I have a "thing" about schoolgirls - but such clever and attractive young ladies are bound to have hot grannies!

Edited by Pat Uri

do you think it would produce enough to kick it over or is it a fuel mix

these ppl need their water for driniking most likely so i reckon its a good idea if its efficiant enough. solar panels are expensive let alone to a country that probably doesn't produce a good amount of them. reckon itd be funny seeing a toilet block of urinals connected to a generator. as long as noone shits in the urinal making funny's and block the lines

No - I dare say it is just a high school demonstration model and the real energy comes from the gas bottle they have it connected to:- but you must commend their efforts in promoting alternative energy.

Photo-galvanic cells - the silicon solar cell - we are used to in the first world would be price prohibitive there. Indeed some desperate soul would "appropriate" it to swap for cornmeal to feed their starving family.

Of greater use would be the type of solar hydrogen cell where sunlight is concentrated onto a platinum sponge catalyst to produce the hydrogen fuel. Where would impoverished people get platinum - even the traces used in such cells?

Why, their land is a primary producer of it - except that vicious psychopathic capitalists from multi-international mining companies will not allow them possession of the resource that is really rightfully theirs.

• Like 1