The Corroboree
Heretic

Plant allies ?

I guess I have been lucky when it comes to growing plants , but there is one genus that seems to hate me - psychotias . I can't germinate them , despite years of trying , nor can I grow them from small plants . They do well for a while , some reaching 1/2 - 1 metre . Then begin dying form the bottom up . I try everything : more water / less water ; sun / less sun to full shade ; [ organic ] fert / no feeding ; trace minerals / no minerals ; dolomite / no dolomite ; pest control [ org ] / no pest control ; etc , etc . I have worked in a few nurseries over the years , and have no trouble growing anything else - I am quite proud of the rest of my garden ; everything else is thriving . But alas , again the psychotrias are losing leaves from the bottom up - if my past attempts are anything to go by , these ones are also doomed . ... I have to concede defeat and give up on the genus .... I am seriously considering the notion of plants as " allies " ; or at least some plants having an affinity for some folk , and not others . Pity really , because I like them ...

I think you've been reading to much Carlos Castaneda. maybe get a someone close to look after one for you who just looks at it like a plant they're taking care of?

that's my two cents anyway

Happy Travels = )

• Like 1

Haha fair call, but i wouldn't be so quick to assume its just over active imaginations at work ;-)

Well plants supposedly respond to human stimulus.. Maybe certain people and certain plants will resonate beautifully together and others won't.

There must be some discernable reason that we are attracted to certain people, plants and things and not others.

As far as plant allies go i think it could be largely psychological.

One plant makes us feel awesome, we put lots of energy and love into growing it, it thrives, we ingest that plant and feel really good about it.

The next plant might get bugs, leaves fall of, it dies, we think that plant hates us and shy away from growing and consuming it.

• Like 3

Very true I have very close psychological relations with some surprising plants - i.e. grow because I want to but never intend to ingest. It's also the best way to go bush-walking - get out there and be receptive, though I often find most bush plants respond very favourably there are a few which sometimes call out. It is worth putting the effort in to plants which don't respond too, there may be something wrong with your psyche, so helping a plant can help you work with your own energy. Psychotrias can prove tricky for me too, but I have a caapi I have terribly abused and it is growing very strongly. I love them all despite that!

• Like 3

I grow in pots atm , because I don't plan on staying here . Not growing them to consume , [ not the primary reason , anyway ] , and everything else does well ... The only thing I can think of is they don't like the mix . I get it from the local nursery , who make their own . I'm sus of the pine bark in it - they use a lot . I just can't get the conditions right for the genus , it seems . But truthfully , I have no idea why they fail....

I have found the more I love a plant the less chance it has of survival personally :P

My personal arch nemesis have been harbanaro and coriander haha

• Like 1

Orchids and Psychotria are my achilles heal. And yet I still persist.

• Like 3

What do I see in this thread? People doubting plants as allies? Plants can definitely be allies, just like anything else. Plants respond to our energy, and they give us energy and love in return. For example, if you spend a lot of time with a particular plant, it will become your ally just as a person will become your friend. Plants are also a great way to connect to mother nature. Don't lose heart, Heretic. I hope you keep at it with Psychotria; it's a truly beautiful plant. Give it lots of love and talk to it if you feel comfortable doing that (you probably do already) and develop your connection with it. Let me know how you go!

• Like 2

plants have no permanent allies, only permanent interests

& they take no prisoners.....

• Like 3

The only thing I can think of is they don't like the mix . I get it from the local nursery , who make their own . I'm sus of the pine bark in it - they use a lot ..

What is the soil like generally? if this is the only soil you have tried them in and you have varied almost every aspect then that suggests to me it may be the problem. another thing I didn't catch is whether you have tried them in different environments, what kind of humidity and light theyt get etc. Do they actually die, or just drop some leaves and keep growing?

I should point out I have no practical experience other than gently coaxing a couple of little plants from leaf cuttings, so I am just analyzing what you have said so far and throwing out some questions. I am extremely interested because I would be heartbroken if I got these to grow to the size of yours and then they died for obscure reasons.

Edited by chilli
  • Like 1

They begin to drop leaves from the bottom up , then die off . It kind of looks like over watering [ but is not ] ; or a fungal disease - but wettable sulphur fungicide did'nt help . Reluctant to resort to sistemics , however ... [ a couple of varieties are doing okay , or better than others ]

Edited by Heretic

Some types do better than others . Looks like over watering , but is not . Or maybe fungal - tried wettable sulphur fungicide , without success ; but reluctant to resort to sistemics ...

This plant grows insane for me. I do have a close relationship with her, she is my favorite by far. But i do believe she is responding well to the climate where i live. If i lived in the southern climate i'd have the same troubles as most folk. I can' t get iboga to fruit, that is my bane

How do the rootsystems look after the plants have succumbed ?

If they have been attacked by nematodes there will be signs of galling around the base of the stem and the plant will have a very small rootsystem for its size. After the nematodes weaken the plant to the point where you notice, it will generally have secondary bacterial and or fungal infections that fungicides won't help.

I'd experiment with a few bagged soil mixes as many of them are heat treated or chemically fumigated to prevent those sort of problems.

• Like 2

Are you sure they are actually dead? All of my psychotrias have lost their leaves once or more (and even a lot of the branches on some have been fried to a crisp), but after a few months you can see new growth, and until there is a dramatic change in conditions it shouldnt happen again. Certain other species from similar habitats have done the same thing several times too, and they can die back to the point of appearing completely dead, but as long as there is green wood under the bark there is a good chance it will come back (even if all you are left with after pruning away the dead wood is a stump). Id try pruning the dead branches off and cutting the main stem back until you see living wood, put it in a bright, shady area with high humidity and flood them (seasol and powerfeed wouldnt hurt either).

I agree with the others though, that if that isnt the case its likely something to do with the soil you are using (nematodes are a good guess for the culprit, but Iv had problems with root mealies on psychotria and brugmansia, which both often have problems with leaf mealies and other sap suckers)

• Like 1

I use sea sol and power feed as per instructions for use - they seem to be dead ; the main stems are brown decaying sticks on a couple atm . I am leaving them to see if the re-grow , but not hopeful . Why would happy plants die off ? [ I just can't seem to get it right for psychotrias ... ] Nematodes ? Had'nt thought of that , or root mealies either . I think marigolds are said to be helpful for nematodes [ ? ] - will try companion planting . Very reluctant to use poisons on the plants or in the soil .