The Corroboree
Khala

Speeding Ticket?

Tonight at around 8:45 PM I was driving my car on a country road (paved) which is a bit rough. It's typically 80 but for a few weeks it's been marked 60 due to rough conditions (a few ditches), but EVERYONE goes 80 otherwise it's snail mail.

Anyway tonight I was travelling at around 75km along it and passed a police car pulled over, facing me on the other side of the road. It did not turn on or go to turn around, and the car behind me was travelling at the same speed as me. It had no lights or anything on (except it's brake/tail lights, so other cars didn't rear end it). Is it likely I will get a speeding ticket?

I always travel 5km under the limit (Yeah I'm one of those people) because I don't want to lose my license, so if I do for this I will be bummed.

I have heard they are unlikely to ticket you if they do not pull you over, but I'm not sure. Eh. I'm stressing still, don't want to lose my license for such a crap situation.

Thanks.

don't stress. if you get a ticket you'll get it.

nothing you can do about it now, chilllax

• Like 1

i prefer to worry about which cave im going to rent when the world ends

• Like 3

In NSW, unless it's a fixed roadside camera, I think they still need to pull you over and issue a ticket. So you should be fine. Other states (territories) however like ACT have mobile cameras that can ping you, then send the bill later. But I haven't heard of that happening in NSW.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Related, is there any way to determine if I have a pending speeding fine? Can I call the RTA?

Cheers

Not likely. The RTA will issue you with the infringement shortly after they process it (days).

This is assuming the RTA issues the infringement in your state. But as it was a police officer that would have seen this, its likely the infringement would be issued by the police. Wich the time frame would depend on the officer.

HOWEVER it sounds unlikely your in for any trouble. In WA at least the police have the ability to issue a fine in this instance. But its pretty much unheard of were the cop is sitting on the side of the road. Normally when a non traffic cop is on his way doing what ever and doesnt have the time to pull you over.

i prefer to worry about which cave im going to rent when the world ends

lol, exactly.

You can’t lose your license for going a few k’s over dude. Anyway, the cop radars just detect speed they don’t photograph your license plate. So unless they pulled ya up there, you’re right.

Just try not to go 25 km’s over the limit and they can’t touch ya. Unless of course you respond to the government, by being smacked on the bum like a child and actually pay speeding fines. That’s just my personal opinion though, rather than any kind of intelligent legal advice.

Hey jabez. Unfortunately, as a P-plater we only have 4 points and 10kms over the limit means a loss of license. But there was no camera flash and no signage indicating camerawork so I think I'm off the hook.

If not, the penalty would only be 4 points and I can go for my green P's in about two weeks which means I'll have 6 points and maybe be able to avoid losing it anyway, which would be cool.

But yeah I don't think I got zapped.

Cheers everyone

Yeah fair enough. It was probably an immature comment anyway. I just get really annoyed how they use speeding fines as a form of revenue raising.

10 kms sounds harsh! But I suppose if it deters young people from roaring down suburban streets in high-powered vehicles, when they have neither the skills nor experience to hold control of their vehicle if something goes wrong, then its probably fair enough.

10km is 4 points? wtf

anyway, i heard you can appeal to maritime law and write your name in lower case letters to get out of paying pesky speeding fines :P

• Like 2

10km - 19km is only 2 points over here.

"In NSW, unless it's a fixed roadside camera, I think they still need to pull you over and issue a ticket. So you should be fine. Other states (territories) however like ACT have mobile cameras that can ping you, then send the bill later. But I haven't heard of that happening in NSW"

NSW too, I got pinged that way, I just bought the car & when i saw the flash i knew i was fucked almost convinced myself it somehow got lost in the system but it eventualy came in the mail.

If you did'nt see the flash I doubt yuo will get a ticket.