The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
at0m

Brugmansi-uh-ohs

These issues have been around for a few weeks now. I kept putting off posting here but now it's time:

Soil: Osmocote standard potting mix

Watering: once or twice a week

Conditions: Outside. Full sun in the morning, half-sun thereafter.

http://imgur.com/a/ggFlR

I haven't spotted any pests or eggs on it or even around it since I got it.

Let me know if you need more info.

Edited by at0m

perhaps a virus.

remember brugmansia is from the solanaceae family, so viruses from potatoes or tobacco can easily be transmitted to brugs. Looks like a leaf curl type of thing with zones of hypersensitivity, i.e the brown spots, so the plant may be trying to defend itself.

i wonder, and others can correct me on this, if pulling off the affected leaves may help reduce the spread. only problem is you dont want the virus in the vascular system or it might become systemic.

maybe best to leave it alone and let the plant defend itself.

Cheers, Ob.

perhaps a virus.

remember brugmansia is from the solanaceae family, so viruses from potatoes or tobacco can easily be transmitted to brugs. Looks like a leaf curl type of thing with zones of hypersensitivity, i.e the brown spots, so the plant may be trying to defend itself.

i wonder, and others can correct me on this, if pulling off the affected leaves may help reduce the spread. only problem is you dont want the virus in the vascular system or it might become systemic.

maybe best to leave it alone and let the plant defend itself.

Cheers, Ob.

Noted, cheers.

If it makes any difference new growth seems to be quite healthy.

Could it just be nutrient burn? Especially with all that new growth looking so good.

• Like 2

Using pesticides of any kind?

Nice plant!

As for the bad leaves, I couldn't say. I'm just growing my first brugs from seed atm, so I'll keep an eye on here to see if I can learn me a thing or two.

But my rule of thumb that I go by (and who knows if it's right or not) is that if a plant is mostly healthy and has a few bad or dying bits, I'll generally just take off the bad bits and let the plant put it's energy into the healthy parts. But if it's nothing major a lot of the time I might just leave it as well...

Edited by gtarman

Using pesticides of any kind?

None. Just water and occasional feeds.

whats goin on on the undersides of the leaves at0m?

viral viral viral all b. sanguinea and its hybrids r most susceptible to virus attacks!!!! most common are

<> colombian datura potyvirus

<> datura wilt virus [leaf curl

cant do nothin about it just keep tha plant happy ie loads of water, and fert! and it will show fuk all signs of the virus<> keep away from ya different brugz they will catch it!!

They look clean as far as I can tell. No eggs, bugs, etc.

http://imgur.com/a/G9Gi6#0

(both are underside shots)

*edit:

I'll keep them relatively separate from now on too.

Edited by at0m

Hit em with tomatoe dust. (copper and sulpur and spinosad).

The copper will destroy any bacteria or protozoa carrying around the virus. If its fungal(doubt it ), the sulphur will get it. Stops the spread of virus pretty good.

Dont grow chillies, tobacco, eggplants, tomatoes or daturas or most other SOLANACEAE plants together to avoid big problems.

EDIT: Mist leaves once then apply dust, then avoid misting leaves for at least 1 week, to avoid overly humid, problem-promoting conditions, and leave dust remaining on leaves.

Keep and eye out for whitefly/thrips, and the ever notorious spider mite, which if not actually seen, can be noted by the early drying and yellowing of leaves before reaching maturity.

Spinosad is a systemic miticide too.

Edited by 2Deep2Handle
  • Like 2

Cheers 2deep. I'll pick some up in the next day or two.

try flushing the roots to with a solution of magnesium sulphate and then hit it with some silca i find this helps with the stress of

spring especially since the photo period is getting longer . silca helps boost your brix sugars in the leaves which helps it fight

off diseases by its on immunity. and also helps the roots by flushing out built up salts in the soil

Edited by bigred82

Yeah ,what 2deep said, great advice.

Oh, right.

I took 2deep's advice and dusted the brug. kept the other two a few metres away and they seem fine (one's a bit bug damaged though).

The brug I dusted still has a bit of a white sheen to it. New growth is about the same.

I'm leaning toward possible nutrient burn though. I just realized how much I put in there (slow release but a lot of it...way too much). The leaves are also VERY dark green, a lot greener than when I got them.

• Like 1