The Corroboree
Bigred

Should we have a sub forum for tek's poll

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just thought a sub forum for tek's would be great just seeing if anyone else would find that helpful

peace bigred

Im thinking yes.

but why have it just for mycology when you could do it for cacti, pharmacology and other things and plants?

• Like 2

I would have thought the main forum would be sufficient enough. i can understand the id subforum to keep all that seperate as there are always squillions each winter.

I think the main forum is much better for teks IMO, creating another subforum makes it that little bit harder to moderate, and navigate. I know personally i always miss stuff in subforums.

but thats just my 2c

Cheers, Ob.

I think there should be, i find the teks here hard to find. You need to know about the name of the tek before your able to search for it to find it, searching for "*tek*" works but it also pulls up ten ton of other unrelated threads that are not teks.

• Like 2

if you disagree can yo let us know why imho i believe it would help noobs greatly there are alot of great teks here

or at least pin a topic with links to the teks it gets hard to find and if your new its pretty much impossible

peace bigred

some teks could be misconstrued as what their intent is for and this may prove problematic for this site....

shroomery generally has all you need when you sift through the shit in regards to teks (amongst others)

My 2 cents

some teks could be misconstrued as what their intent is for and this may prove problematic for this site....

shroomery generally has all you need when you sift through the shit in regards to teks (amongst others)

My 2 cents

Yea.. I've found it difficult to find teks.. When I search, all I'm looking for are teks for growing edible mushrooms , but I keep getting links to all these

dodgy sites on how to grow what are known as "magic" mushrooms.

i know every tek out there is for p.cube would love some great edible teks i hate having my search history even visit shroomery just for edibles how come

when ever someone refers to a tek its automaticly ment for p . cube i love fresh oysters and portabelo's and i had to use a cube tek to grow them

i think its a great idea just lock it for members only

If the tek section contained no teks for growing illegal mushrooms plus had teks for things other than mycology I'd think it'd be a great idea!

• Like 1

Gosh it annoys me that so many people view this thread ( over 100 ) and only 14 people vote..... Grrrr

• Like 1

I don't think that sending people to shroomery is particularly healthy for the mycology section of these forums - you could argue that this forum doesn't even need a mycology section at all because we could discuss mycology over at shroomery.

Really though, there is no dedicated Australian site for mycology discussion (as far as I am aware), infact this was my major reason for me joining this site in the first place. Teks over at shroomery are very American orientated, here on the other hand we talk a fair bit about using the resources we have here in Australia (like for instance the thread with someone spawning to a eucalyptus stump).

It would be one thing if all the teks would be rehashing teks from other sites (which of course would happen), however it would also have teks that apply directly to us here in Australia, which for Australian mycologists would be a very very valuable resource in my opinion.

So summed up I think a tek section would

- attract more people to the mycology community here

- keep more newbies here than just giving up on this site and joining shroomery instead

- give us all more easy to find information on mycology relating directly to Australia

- clean up the mycology section of this site making information much much easier to find

• Like 1

If the consensis is to move on it, then majority rules, and I have no problem with that.

I am not saying join the shroomery, but reinventing the wheel is plain stupid, there are some very talented mycologists cutting into new ground in the medicinal and edible cultivation area and I am saying there is a lot to be learnt.

However there is HEAPS of information out there at your fingertips, its how you search for it like any topic. Not all "teks" are termed "teks", and a "tek" will not necessarily make you a cultivation jedi. Which provides me a thought of "Cultivation" rather than "TeK".

The basics first, research your species growth parameters and then provide them the best you can. Then there are some bloody good books on cultivation.

Shiitake grown on eucs they are doing this in Brazil commercially of aussie E.nitens for several years now, adapted from growers here if you see my point. There is nothing new here, other than having used aspecies that have not been identified in literature which may prove useful for someone else.

If you restrict yourself to "aussie" mycology you are going to miss out on a lot IMO. Really the biggest issue is materials, adapting techniques is part of the learning process.

Then theres examples such as:

http://www.ediblemushroom.net/ which has a dedicated australian section

http://www.bemushroomed.com/

If someone has a truely new "tek" then by all means put it up, there is already a thread on aussie myco suppliers.

I think its not the "teks" that are "american" its just the resources used.

WB

I think the main problem with the Mycology subforum is the multitude of threads for each species. What I hate in forums is the sheer quantity of small talk compared to the actual informational content; both are important and interesting, but it makes it quite difficult to search for specific things - the information you need might be spread across several threads. You do learn a lot more in the process, but it is very time consuming. Indexing can be really useful, but often small little details hidden in other threads get lost. It's a real problem when the forums are 10 years old and have developed somewhat ad-hoc!

As someone who is primarily interested in growing, a tek sub-forum for all the forums is something of interest to me. But my question is, is who is going to do all the work to find the existing teks and move them across to the new sub-forum? There would be a lot of work involved, presumably all down to the mod of that forum. Sounds like a massive headache to me. A dedicated enthusiast could make a links thread which could be pinned instead.

• Like 1

Here is a ridiculously over-developed example, wouldn't have to be this complicated!

Ethnobotanical Resources internal links thread

Its nice to see those for the 'against' have taken the time to construct a good argument and have made some good points in my opinion.

Whitewind in particular makes a good point that a single thread could probably do a good job of linking to tek's, the only problem i see with this is that it requires someone to constantly keep updated with all the teks that people write and update their thread - a tek sub-forum on the other hand would be self updating. This said someone putting together a thread of the teks available in the mycology section of this forum would probably be a good start to get the ball rolling, we could see how the thread plays out and a sub forum could be made much easier for the mod by dragging the threads from that list into the sub-forum instead of having to find all of them for his/her self. This would probably best be done by someone who has been around a for a while and has a good idea of all the teks that are hidden in the forum.

ok im going to work on some aussie tek's i think if we all got together we can do this i love this site and everyone on it i dont

want people sent to shroomery it may send some people into the dark side of mycology. Mycology is in the early stages

in Australia and im trying to convince my boss to start selling supplies if you feel like you are up to the task of posting a aussie tekk

please post

What is the dark side of mycology? You have just made the Shroomery thoroughly appealing ;)

I think most peeps recommend the Shroomery as that's where we learned. Everything you need to know is on there.

• Like 1

i think really SAB is a unique online comunity. There isnt really anything that is the same as the knowledge and info we have on here.

However i think there are lots of online mushroom communities, it would be really hard to stay within australian laws and add something new that hasnt already be written in Shroomery, mycotopia, shroomtalk or shroomology allready.

• Like 1

I only just realised that this is in the myco forum.

A Myco Tek forum might be awesome. There is nothing illeagle about growing oysters on BRF or WBS.

The forum should be locked though. With only mods moving worthy tecks into

my 2c

• Like 1

it would be nice of course, but from what little I know about legal issues the forum faces some of the info on this site continues to exist only because of its obscurity

I found that out when I was guilty of meganecrobumping a thread about alkaloids in cacti and EG whipped my ass so good.

• Like 1

i can see where that can be a problem but if we set rules ( i hate the word ) we could have a great sub forum and there is really no mycolgy forum

for aussie's

But creating a forum for those buried teks will bring them out of obscurity, and necessitate a lot of deletions. Actually I am not sure if this applies outside the cactus forum, but when I bumped that thread, the mods had to delete the info in them to conform to the forum rules.

So, I actually killed off a bit of the forum by bringing that info to the front page (luckily I think I c&p the crucial info to a thread at nans), and what you are suggesting is bringing all legally dubious teks to the front page of their own subforum.

I actually don't know much about the subtleties of forum rules and the law, maybe it isn't legally dubious and my whole reasoning is wrong, perhaps a mod can answer your questions better.

Edited by chilli
  • Like 1

sorry but mycology (more to the point mushroom culture) in Australia is far from being in the early stages, I'M going to stop :BANGHEAD2: now. :lol:

MEGANECROBUMPING....ROFL Chilli

Edited by waterboy

Chilli, we could just not bring up old teks that would be unsavoury in todays climate.

• Like 1