The Corroboree
rahli

Highs and lows of burgeoning synthetic drug market

Users are reporting severe comedowns from legally available synthetic products that mimic cocaine and speed, as police and governments struggle to regulate the industry.

Synthetic powder stimulants marketed to give euphoric highs are freely available in tobacconists and sex stores around New South Wales.

Drug experts say the harms are unknown and the law is struggling to keep up with the continual development of new substances.

Eddy, 24, and Levon, 24, bought several grams of a white synthetic powder from their local adult store in Maitland. After using the drug for several hours, they left the night club after feeling a sense of paranoia.

"So we went back to someone's place and kept going and once we finally stopped, it just sort of all kicked in and started feeling a bit depressed and all that," Eddy said.

The young men were unable to sleep that night and Levon could not return to work for three days, saying the synthetic product left him feeling depressed for days.

" just pretty rubbish actually, not great in the guts and just not very happy with myself, to be honest," he said.

"Really depressed, for those couple of days I didn't work myself, and everyone else sort of had the same feeling as well."

Triple j's Hack program has spoken to more than 20 young people with similar experiences to Levon.

Many were familiar with the effects of traditional illicit drugs but were shocked by the strength of the comedown from drugs they expected to be safer than street drugs.

Slew of products

Paul Dillon from Drug and Alcohol Research and Training Australia says there is increasing interest in these products in Australia and an ever-growing list of products coming in from Europe.

"A number of new psycho-active substances identified in Europe over the last few years is escalating at such a rate that there was one new product identified every single week last year," he said.

"I mean, that is completely unheard of, and when you start hearing about products that users are saying, 'Look, these are of quality', then you can pretty well guarantee they are going to be popular, and popular for a while."

The products are not just available in stores - online they can be found in abundance.

It is a risk, and until we know more about these products, until we know more about the potency of them, the quality of the products, we really just have to give very, very vague sort of warnings.

Pauk Dillon - Drug and Alcohol Research and Training Australia

One product was advertised as "chemical research powder" and not suitable for human consumption, but the sales pitch reads that it can give users an "intense euphoric high".

Mr Dillon says the disclaimer is similar to that provided with bath salts in the US.

The product reached national attention in May when a man reportedly using bath salts was filmed eating another man's face in Miami.

"The most concerning thing is that with a stimulant you're increasing your heart rate, increasing your blood pressure, the chances of having some major event, whether it be a heart attack, stroke, whatever, is potentially there," Mr Dillon said.

"But it is a risk, and until we know more about these products, until we know more about the potency of them, the quality of the products, we really just have to give very, very vague sort of warnings."

All states have grappled with ways of legislating around synthetic drugs. Substances have been banned, but manufacturers have changed the compounds in their products to skirt those bans.

Legal minefield

Detective Superintendent Nick Bingham, the commander of the New South Wales Drug Squad, admits that these new breed of synthetic drugs create legal grey areas.

"Some of the products they sell aren't banned, some still do have some of the banned substances in them," he said.

"If we find out they do have any of the banned substances in them, we will do raids on the shops then confiscate that product."

Det Supt Bingham says the public should stay clear of the products because it is unclear if they are illegal.

But he says users will not be the target of authorities' crackdown on products.

"The police aren't out to persecute users. We are out looking more at the retailers and the manufacturers of the products," he said.

Greg Barns is a Victorian barrister who has represented two clients facing drug possession charges because they were carrying synthetic drugs.

The police aren't out to persecute users. We are out looking more at the retailers and the manufacturers of the products.

NSW Drug Squad commander Nick Bignham

"It doesn't matter whether it's cocaine or it's synthetic, it's the same charge under the relevant drug legislation, there's no gradation in penalties," he said.

But Mr Barns says so far there have not been any custodial sentences for synthetic drug possession.

"The only cases that I'm aware of are of people who have been given fines, but the point is you get a record out of it," he said.

"That has dire consequences for young people in particular, who want to travel or want to go for jobs."

To help legislate around synthetic cannabis, the Therapeutic Goods Administration has banned any substance that mimics the effect or structure of cannabis.

A number of states have adopted the TGA's guidelines, but NSW is holding a parliamentary inquiry to determine its direction.

The NSW Minerals Council is calling for the State Government to take on the TGA's guidelines.

They are particularly concerned about workplace safety because synthetic drugs cannot be identified in standard drug tests.

Fiona Patten, chief executive of the Eros Foundation, told the inquiry that banning substances was doing more harm than good.

She wants the substances regulated similar to the New Zealand model, with the approach putting the onus on the manufacturer to test the drug and prove it is not dangerous.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-22/legals-highs-have-criminal-downsides/4327626

• Like 1

As much as I don't like all these synthetics, I'm loving the legal "grey area", "minefield", etc they're creating

And the way it's exposing the shitty legal system and failed war on drugs.

It's hilarious. Whenever I read these kinds of articles, they conjure up imagery of

Little sweaty piggies attempting to enforce the unenforceable.

• Like 4

Its hard to know the long term outcome when it comes to drugs. Is the world going to criminilse caffine use or legalise!!

There have been lots of reports of overdoses and allergic reactions to a new product name "White Revolver" that is currently on the Aussie market. Apparently it contains A-PVP.

I am just waiting for someone to de-sheathe their penis like the Pervert Powder, (MDPV), stories!

• Like 1

Well, it's definitely the future now.

• Like 1

I gotta be honest here, it’s becoming really hard for me to logically justify my life long belief of people having the born right to ingest whatever substance they want. It’s simply just disgraceful, hearing how some of these ‘legal high junkies’ are abusing these substances and fucking it up for people who are capable of basic common sense!

I got people on another forum, telling me how there tolerance is so high, they need to smoke like 5 cones in are row, of a highly addictive incense blend which is ‘at least’ 5 times more potent than the strongest weed I ever smoked! But that’s the least of it, you also got people happily shovelling unknown dangerous chemicals up their noses without a single thought of there own welfare.

I’m calling it now! This shits about to become epidemic, which will make the US crack epidemic of the late 80’s look like a complete joke.

WTF is wrong with society, when people aren’t even capable of looking after own physical health?!!!! Like seriously.

Let’s face it, we are living in a society, which is a cesspool of feebleminded dimwits!

• Like 3

Jabez, in People's favour:

1/ People tend to want to do the right thing (they choose legal substances over illegal ones, where there is apparently an option)

2/ People tend to trust other people (therefore they trust the seller of the substances)

In both cases they are wrong, but only because:

1/ The law is really fucking stupid and ridiculous

2/ The economic paradigm is equally really fucking stupid and ridiculous

Both the law and the economy tend to be controlled by the psychopaths who run our society, not by your everyday person. Get rid of the psychopaths and all our problems will start to fade away

• Like 3

a few weeks ago I tried some legal 'synthetic cocaine' did no research into it & still haven't so know fuck all about it but it was offered by a friend I trust & I haven't done any brazen experiments for many years.. decided to try it. uphoria.. yeah kind of, more like fairly uninteresting head rushes & tingles & stimulation etc. after an hour or so I just got scattered & ended up having a shit night. couldn't sleep all the next day & had trouble sleeping the next night, still felt very stimulated but completely shithouse. totally depressive headspace the morning after & sick toxic feeling in body.. just horrible.. I hardly drank anything either, just a couple of beers & didnt take anything else. that was my first & last foray into this recent 'synthetics' craze..

jabez, if we were legally allowed to take what we like then people would be much less likely to take risks & resort to all these chems. they'd more often stick to the good old tried & tedted substances that are generally much safer & much better (in a very generak sense) in my opinion. these issues are caused in large part by prohibition.

recent craze over cathinones just goes to show...all of this could have been avoided if there was just a controlled market for fresh khat. Authorities have created their own reality.

• Like 3

I've been attending some of these hearings in sydney and watched fiona patten, paul dillon, alex wodak, the young lawyers assn, DoAG and a few others. Missed monica by a few minutes though :(

I have the feeling the enquiry is seriously looking at a major overhaul and is very much considering the new NZ model. Quite exciting really. Will post more details on all this soon - just got home from my latest trip and need to catch up a bit. It's a slow-moving process anyway.

It seems to be crystallising as a fight between the mining industry and the rest of the community.

• Like 4

Get rid of the psychopaths and all our problems will start to fade away

History contradicts this. Get rid of the psychopaths and more psychopaths take their place. Look at what the Communists did, supposedly in the name of the common man.

Wowzers yo!

I have so much to say on this topic that I don't know where to start.... me thinks it's time to write some kind of article!

To the word processor, Batman!

And I mustn't forget my rubber gimp suit and gas mask - because one must be correctly attired in order to present an image which is congruent with that created by the media. Imagine the confusion it could cause if I claimed to be a user of super-potent stimulants, but then appeared to be a normal person who wears normal clothes and speaks normally! That simply wouldn't do at all :wink:

• Like 1

It seems to be crystallising as a fight between the mining industry and the rest of the community.

Anyone care to explain this? Because I just don't get it.. Given how the mining industry employs such a low number of the population, why are they trying

to dictate what everyone can/can't consume? And I'm not sure why they're so intent on finding out what their employees do in their spare time.

I understand that there's a risk of people working in dangerous mining environments whilst intoxicated but jeeeeeeez, come on..

Edited by SYNeR

As much as I don't like all these synthetics, I'm loving the legal "grey area", "minefield", etc they're creating

And the way it's exposing the shitty legal system and failed war on drugs.

It's hilarious. Whenever I read these kinds of articles, they conjure up imagery of

Little sweaty piggies attempting to enforce the unenforceable.

Except instead of coming to the logical realisation of the failure of this war they will continue to tighten the noose around our freedoms neck until there is none left. Then they will have CREATED a community of criminals. Thats the part that shits me, through there stupid laws they are making honest, caring people into criminals punishable under the same laws as those trafficking drugs for illegal crime gangs, except the average joe cant afford pricey attorneys to get them off the charges so yet again its another epic failure taking in the poor criminals while the real ones walk free.

Edited by DarkSpark
  • Like 1

I have the feeling the enquiry is seriously looking at a major overhaul and is very much considering the new NZ model.

I’m convinced the NZ governments proposed policy regarding legal highs, will just be the equivalent to the US marijuana tax act of 1937. Hope I’m wrong though.

Anyone care to explain this? Because I just don't get it.. Given how the mining industry employs such a low number of the population, why are they trying

to dictate what everyone can/can't consume? And I'm not sure why they're so intent on finding out what their employees do in their spare time.

I understand that there's a risk of people working in dangerous mining environments whilst intoxicated but jeeeeeeez, come on..

The mining industry only employs like 2% of Australia’s work force. But they contribute about 35% of Australia’s total exports, they are also a $200 billion industry and make up 6% of Australia’s total economy. In other words, they own your arse! Especially if you’re from QLD or WA.

Also, there’s a lot of single young men working in the mining industry that are earning over 100 grand a year, which is the perfect recipe for extreme drug abuse. The mining corps just likes to give the appearance that they have a drug free work force.

In reality every miner I’ve ever meet on my travels were major alcoholics and never worried too much about taking drugs. As long as they didn’t do drugs 48 hours before work, the saliva tests won’t detect anything and they usually all get tipped off weeks before they get urine drug tested anyway. Since it would be too expensive for the mining companies to get rid of half their work force. So most of it’s just for appearance.

• Like 2

Once, just once, could one of these news articles fucking please clarify which substance(s) they're actually talking about? If they even know, that is... :rolleyes:

From that article, I only know that they're discussing a "synthetic drug" with a disclaimer "similar to that provided with bath salts". Doesn't really narrow it down. Given that the "synthetics" released in the last few years include cannabinoids, substituted PCP/ketamine analogues, substituted cathinones, phenethylamines, and other random weird groups like the NBOMe's, it would really help if they were a little more specific in these articles. They didn't even mention a brand or "street" name, ffs.

• Like 3

http://www.theherald...er-dead/?cs=305

Man dies after taking synthetic coke in Newcastle

pulled from article....

"

A truck driver who went on a naked and crazed rampage after taking a legally available synthetic drug has died

The Queensland man, 44, had not regained consciousness after his heart stopped several times when he was restrained by a group of workers from a Tomago company he had forcibly entered and assaulted a security guard.

Port Stephens police are investigating the role that the synthetic drug, which can be legally bought across the Hunter and boasts of giving the user similar effects to cocaine, had in the man’s death.

It is understood the man and his girlfriend, 42, had taken the drug intravenously in the back of his truck on Sunday afternoon before the pair suffered some sort of psychosis.

The woman, dressed only in a bra and underpants, was found bloodied hundreds of metres away on the Pacific Highway near the Hexham Bridge.

Police said the naked man had jumped a 1.8m barbed wire fence without injuring himself before entered a yard.

He had bitten a security guard who had approached him before he was restrained.

Police rescue squad officers and paramedics revived the man several times after he stopped breathing, before he was rushed to John Hunter Hospital

He was flown Prince of Wales Hospital and placed on life support in intensive care.

But he died this morning.

The woman has been released from hospital with minor injuries

Edited by Bush Turkey

what could the chem be i wonder? 5-iai maybe?

What ever it is its causing people some very bad side effects

my guess? alpha-PVP. Although it could be 3,4 DMMC or something of that ilk.

alpha-PVP is an analogue of MDPV? right? 3,4Dmmc is an analogue of mephedrone, so would that make them illegal under analogue clause?

It is understood the man and his girlfriend, 42, had taken the drug intravenously in the back of his truck on Sunday afternoon

I can't believe someone would consider shooting this stuff (whatever the hell it is).

Reading all these articles, the irony of the whole situation seems to be lost on government officials.

On one hand they're trying to regulate and decide what is legal and illegal based on safety (supposedly).. But look at the shit storm they've caused.

As a result of prohibition of drugs that at least have more research data, all these new 'synthetics' that aim to emulate the well known illegal drugs have cropped

up and they seem to be worse than the illegal drug. It seems to me that with prohibition, they've achieved precisely the opposite of what they were hoping.

Edited by SYNeR
  • Like 4

Another news article, with a little more info about the product that caused the recent legal high death. Just so people know to stay well clear of it.

Legal but lethal 'bath salts' kill man

A MAN has died in what is believed to be the country's first death from injecting "bath salts".

Glen Punch, 44, from Tea Gardens and his 42-year-old girl friend injected a legal synthetic drug called "Smoking Slurrie" they bought from an adult shop.

The pair experienced unbearable body heat and psychotic episodes, and stripped off their clothes.

The woman was found on a major road near Tomago in the Hunter Valley wearing only a bra and panties last Sunday.

Mr Punch was found naked in the cabin of his truck in a highly agitated state at a nearby industrial site. He was taken to John Hunter Hospital before being transferred to Prince of Wales Hospital where he died on Wednesday.

Injecting so-called bath salts is a recent trend overseas, where it has claimed several lives. It is the term often used when legal powders are used to get high but the chemical has nothing to do with bath salts.

"Our investigations have established the couple bought the product from an adult shop called 'Nauti and Nice' at Rutherford on the weekend," said drug squad commander Detective Superintendent Nick Bingham.

"We are now testing the composition of the product to see exactly what it is made of, if it is legal. We suspect it would be popularly categorised as the street term bath salts. It may be legal but it is also lethal."Supt Bingham said the couple appear to have injected the "salts" on Saturday without any adverse consequences.

http://www.heraldsun...g-1226503468496

jabez - I know the author of the NZ model personally and am quite familiar with what direction this is taking. No reason to be cynical for once ;)

it's not just the mining industry, but also army, police and other drug testing employers. The mining industry has a lot of power in a bankrupt state though because of their financial clout. They claim that testing is impossible or too expensive and hence prohibition is the only answer [because history shows us that prohibition has been so effective, LOL].

I haven't read all transcripts yet, but the mining industry is by far the most vocal and powerful opposition to the NZ model.

• Like 2

Another news article, with a little more info about the product that caused the recent legal high death. Just so people know to stay well clear of it.

http://www.heraldsun...g-1226503468496

Now that's what i like to call darwinism at work

word is that this seller has operated well outside the general industry norms and is unlikely to receive any support. It appears the risks of this particular combo were already known, but greed won out.

I am a little perplexed by Nick Bingham's comment "Supt Bingham said the couple appear to have injected the "salts" on Saturday without any adverse consequences."

I would have thought the consequences were quite adverse.

Also interesting to note that once again biting flesh was involved. Zombies!!