The Corroboree
gtarman

Need advice quick - coarse sand question...

Hey guys, I'm going to Bummings early tomorrow to buy ingredients for my cactus potting mix. I need to know about coarse sand.

Coarse washed river sand is what I'm after and what I've heard works best...but they only have that in tiny little bags...I'm probably going to need about 20L of the stuff.

Some people have said that paving sand is the same thing, and is sold in larger quantities. Is this true? Isn't the point of paving mixtures that they set like cement? And isn't that why you need *washed* sand? What should I do?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it (as do the cacti under my care)!

I think the paving sand is to add to cement. And I thought it was washed to get the salt and organic matter out of there. They do have 20kg sacks of washed river sand in Sydney Bunnings which is nice and coarse, but I think it's locally sourced ("Sydney River Sand" or something), so the stuff in Qld might be different. My advice would be to tear open the sack a tiny bit and check if it's coarse enough. And if it's not, don't use it - fine sand is worse than none at all.

• Like 3

Hey mate,

River sand is your best option if you want to make your own mix using some kind of sand.

Personally I use perlite in my mix, their are two main reasons I use this & they are drainage & it keeps the weight of my pots down (less heavy lifting). People will say its a pain in the ass because it can float to the surface & it can be but if you use some small rocks/gravel as a mulch this will stop the floating & after a few months everything settles & beds down.

Also don't buy perlite from bunnings, you can buy a huge bag from your local hydro shop for half the price.

Happy gardening :)

Raw material supplies...take your own bag & if you can't get washed you can always wash it yourself. I've pinched the mrs's fine large sieve which I now use as one of my gardening tools...the mesh is about 1-1.5mm squares. It's perfect for rinsing the sand through & sieving finer material to mix with coarse sand for my takeaway teks & cutting mix also. Gives you way more control.

If the people at the raw material place don't know what your talking about, you're at the wrong place...good luck man.

fine sand is worse than none at all.

Don't be afraid to sieve it, if you think it needs it.

Well said Anodyne.

• Like 1

Brickies sand i find is very fine. Play ground sand on the other hand is welcome addition to a cactus mix. (i wouldnt use more then 50% though)

The bonus is that this sand pit sand has also been pre washed! But i find thats its much more course than yellow paving sand

Most nurseries have a pile of sand that they use in their mixes , and will sell it cheaply . They don't use the bagged stuff because of cost , and get sand , bark ,etc , by the truckload . My local gives it to me , and s / h pots , but I leave a few dollars because I don't want to impose on their good nature . Also , their mixes are way cheaper than pre - bagged stuff .

• Like 1

dunno about over your way but here in Perth there are two brands that i have come across. "Manutec" and "Brunnings". Manutec is by far the superior , the Brunnings one i have found go's really dry and crusty, whilst the manutec stays moist and soft making it perfect for germinating.

Edited by mr b.caapi

Playground sand is basically plasters sand it is fairly course (depending on what your definition of course is) and very well washed :)

Its also cheap and can be bought in very large quantities to small bagged quantities, there are no additives either - you wont find it in the gardening section though ! have a look at the construction end - if you want bulk then you would be better off finding a construction supply yard.

Edit: Stay WELL clear of the yellow stuff, its not washed at all !

Edited by BentoSpawn

^^^ and is full of clay (especially brickies over plasterers sand). Both imo, are shit.

My local bunnings sells 'propogation sand' .. 5kg bags.

This stuff is great. and prewashed. Its about 2-5 mm and is fairly inexpensive

I get my stuff in the DIY Store. They sell all kind of stones for the garden and can order a shitload of other types. Never find what i need in the garden Center. ;-)

My local bunnings has pretty much ZERO in the way of good soils. Even the cacti mix is well over 75% organic matter including largish pieces of bark. Bunnings normally stock their "play ground sand" near the potting mixes as its sold in bag of about the same size. I dont really think its super awesome or anything but far better then brickies sand

Flum can you PM your local bunnings and brand of sand. As said above, mine is shit

Edited by eatfoo

Most brickies sands have a fairly high content so for potting medias i wouldn't touch them with a pole.

My local landscaping supplies sells a nice river sand that ranges from 1.5mm up to 4mm with minimal organic matter for $75 M3 which is roughly 2 ton

They do have a shovel price but i don't recall what it was.

• Like 2

i find brickies sand compacts over time and goes very hard on the surface, go down to your local landscaping place like shorlty said and take some bags or buckets. my local sells me what ever i can carry for $15 when i need a top up, or i just order a cube delivered for like $60.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I went out there today and they had the 5L bags of "propagation sand" flumsquid was talking about, so I bought 20L of that for about $20. I'll let you know how it works out..but it might take some time.

My local bunnings has pretty much ZERO in the way of good soils. Even the cacti mix is well over 75% organic matter including largish pieces of bark. Bunnings normally stock their "play ground sand" near the potting mixes as its sold in bag of about the same size. I dont really think its super awesome or anything but far better then brickies sand

Flum can you PM your local bunnings and brand of sand. As said above, mine is shit

yeh mate i get it from malaga bunnings, most stores stock it near the hydroponic section.

I'll post a pic of the bag soon

Does BRUNNINGS make anything worth using? I wage a 5er they do not.

near the hydroponic section.

Dang your bunnings shits on mine lol

• Like 2