The Corroboree
tipz

TBM crest

I have recently acquired this funky little TBM crest.

As you can see, It has a mutated pup coming from the tip of the crest. My main objective is to get more of the crest to grow.

I will remove and graft the pup onto some pach.

But should i leave the crest on it's own roots to grow, or.... segment it up and try grafting the sections of crest ? I imagine it would be quite hard to graft sections of this crest as it is so thin.

What would you do ?

http://s1084.photobu...nt=P1020660.jpg

I cant seem to upload the pic so here is a link to the photo on photobucket.

Edited by tipz

I'd BAP6 the fuck out of that thing and graft some of it to peres, then bap it again, and then give me a piece for such great advice and being a top bloke lol. but seriously Bap 6 is a very good product

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 4

i've got BAP powder tipz, i'll give you some this weekend.

• Like 1

Don't put it in too much risk too soon.

Maybe time to try some aerole grafts :-)

Thats just beautiful. If I were you I'd spend a lot of time in the backyard gawping at it and feeling good about life.

• Like 9

Be patient unless your grafting skills are good. Just let it grow otherwise untill you have more pups and then it is much less of a risk if you decide to graft.

• Like 2

Funky looking thin, love the lophs in the background :)

I feel like the grim reaper......but I can't see any crest growth in that pic ? Maybe it is just the angle but where is the apical meristem or growing point on this plant ? Especially with the larger spination and areoles, I'm confused...which is not uncommon BTW :)

​I would definitely leave it be, at this stage nature knows best :) once it has a put on some good growth or starts pupping again you can propagate.

If it's cresting it's on the side that's on the top portion of the photo. I'm not convinced that the new pup is actually cresting, which wouldn't be too surprising as it doesn't seen to orginiate from the cresty-looking tissue.

At this point I wouldn't muck around with grafting that's not really going to serve any practical benefit and could just end up destroying your sample. Just nurture the plant, and wait to see if the aureolae on the ridge start sprouting crests, or if the ridge tissue itself expands to the point where you can easily take samples without harming the parent plant.

• Like 1

As small as it is I would not risk hacking it up to try grafting it. I'd stick to only removing pups for propagation purposes at this point. I'm curious to see if the new pup eventually crests or if it reverts to TBM. The one specimen of TBM crest that I am familiar with occasionally throws "regular" TBM pups with most growth being crested. Nice score btw, I love the freaks!!! :drool2:

• Like 1

Now that's interesting

Yep, bridgesii grow reasonably well. There are reasons to believe it would go well on its own. I agree, patience.

But yeah you could graft the pup or let it grow a bit more, then cut and root on its own.

I have a TBM crest that recently succumbed to black rot and by the time I found out it had already spread considerably. I did some emergency surgery and performed a couple of grafts, at least one of which has taken and is showing new growth, figured I'd add a pic to share.

post-11691-0-83909900-1350510949_thumb.j

Also can anyone tell if the webbing on the top left is from spider mites? It has been showing up lately and just looking for input before I worry myself over nothing. Cheers.

post-11691-0-83909900-1350510949_thumb.jpg

post-11691-0-83909900-1350510949_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Grafting does have its advantages.....

tbmcrestdsc0034.jpg

tbmcrestdsc0808.jpg

These 2 pics are exactly 20 months apart.

Edited by zelly
  • Like 14

zelly so that is a tbm crest? its amazing!

Here's a closeup of one of the active growing crested monstrous areas

tbmcrestdsc0786z.jpg

• Like 14

very pretty!!

Now I know what I want for xmas :-)

Well, the pup the crest was throwing turned out to be a clone "a" TBM ( non crested ) which I have removed and has now rooted and growing on It's own.

The crested section has tripled in size. It has new growth coming from everywhere.

I was actually thinking of putting it up for sale.... still undecided as yet. But she is a beauty Kykeion ( and the only one on our shores to my knowledge )

• Like 2

Any pics?

I would love to admire this beauty personally :)

I will get one up for you over the next day or two Bogfrog.

• Like 3

A clone A in OZ..very interesting. BAP it BAp it good. lol

• Like 2

Any pics?

I would love to admire this beauty personally :)

I will get one up for you over the next day or two Bogfrog.

How 'bout now?

Interesting? Clone A is the common one in Aus isnt it?
Pretty amazing that clone B still isnt around yet, whoever gets it in will make a ton of cash out of it.

I ended up with this guy minus the pup that you see in the original post as soon as I got it I removed a section of it and grafted it the original section still on its own roots has since thrown a pup and the grafted piece threw out 2 pups within a month of grafting it I'm away at the moment but as soon as I get home I'll post up some pics :)