The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
BioMedHed

E.gerardiana not germinating, help!

Hi guys,

Been a while since I've been on these forums.

I have some Ephedra gerardiana seedstock that I'm having trouble germinating, I know they come from a good stock, a member here sold them to me and I had a few in my backyard for about 2 years. I recently pulled out the baggie of seed and... waiting... waiting.... nothing germinating. I hope the viability doesn't go down with age? Theyre only about 2 years old? I have tried putting them between moist cloth, still nothing. I have some GA3, I might give it a try. Should I score or sinter the seed? I had literally no problems when I first got them, now I'm devestated :-( the new PE crap doesnt work anywhere near as good as a tea,

Thanks!

tripsis? are you there?

When i germed mine, i just soaked them in a cup of water for a day and a bit. Then planted and kept moist and humid. Though im not sure on how long the seeds stay good for, that does sound like a while for seed. But not 100%, they might be alright. It also depends how theyve been kept, cold and out of the light will mean a better chance for germination. Get em, mate :)

• Like 1

I think the seeds are too old. Fresh ephedraseeds germinate easily.

A good idea is the seed in the refrigerator to store. Not frozen.

Edited by pan

Ephedra seeds stay viable for a very long time if stored correctly. I doubt they are that old...2 yo old seeds usually have good germination rates so i think the cause is probably something else.

I always use a mini green house and get about 70-80% success. if that fails try the take away tek on them. i got about 90% trying this a few times when i had no room in the green houses , just dont have them in direct sun

also make sure u use a mix of about 80% sand 20% soil

and make sure they are planted point down.