The Corroboree

Hey everyone,

Just sowed some seed generously gifted to me from members on here (takeaway tek) and I'm wondering whether I should be placing the containers under fluro's or on a window sill receiving filtered light, which I kinda don't have any. Also the seeds are T. scop x pach, L. williamsii, Juuls x T. BBG, J3 x Psycho0, T. spach, P. azureus, T. puquiensis x huarensis, T. huarensis x puquiensis and Datura metel var. fastuosa.

post-9261-0-39129100-1349488229_thumb.jp

I'm just wary as to whether I'm giving them way to much light at the moment, I can raise the light if thats the case or put some shade cloth/plastic over the containers. So any suggestions or is it all looking good?

post-9261-0-70444700-1349488235_thumb.jp

post-9261-0-39129100-1349488229_thumb.jpg

post-9261-0-70444700-1349488235_thumb.jpg

post-9261-0-39129100-1349488229_thumb.jpg

post-9261-0-70444700-1349488235_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

All the cacti seeds I've ever grown have been using takeaway tek and I've always just chucked them near a windowsill or light source indoors. Once they germinate I like to crack the lid a little or put some holes in it for air exchange and to spray more water in. Good luck mate! Looking good.

Thanks for the advice Khala, I don't really have any suitable window sills though unfortunately due to living in a terrace house and the only sill receiving suitable light being the bathroom, which is to small to rest the containers on. Anyone know what sort of day/night cycle I should be using for the lights? 12/12, 14/10?

Just noticed this is my 200th post, Yewww!

Edited by lhb2444

When germinating i always have my lights on 24/7.

If that is a CFL, there would be no harm dropping the light source a little.

Also, what temps are the seeds being exposed to ? That is probably the most critical thing. If it is dropping anywhere below 22 degrees I would perhaps use a propagation heat mat.

Edited by tipz

hhhmmm maybe i should be leaving my heatmat on 24-7

im sure it probly drops below that at night mine go's off every night light and heatmat

i thought they were supposed to benefit from the temperature drops at night

Nice goodman fielder breadcrate. Hold onto the bastard they are worth like 45$ each :) and make really good plant trays especially for transporting buttons and small succulents as they can stack on top of each other. Once the seeds germ you can stack another one on top and keep building up .

Edited by DarkSpark
  • Like 1

When i first started growing from seed i tried under a cfl with the exact same light youve got there. It was about 2 foot to a 2 1/2 ft away and it burnt the shit out of the poor buggers. Ive now got mine outside in a cheap as greenhouse wrapped in shade cloth, and theyre green as green can be :) No need for any heating or anything and have awesome germ rates.

If any have sprouted keep a daily eye on them and get em away/ raise your light at the first signs of burning.

If your set on artificial light id recommend one of those fluro tubes, something like a reptile light or a bit stronger. But no serious wattage is needed for seedlings. What youve got there is a grow light, 125-150 watt, no point wasting power when you dont have to.

Plus then you can save some space and have tubes pretty much ontop of your containers, more room for more seedlings :wink: Youll get the benefit of day round growth, as opposed to natural light. I remember seeing a picture of marcels seedlings in a thread a while back and the growth they showed in the age was amazing, comparing to the growth from filtered sunlight.

Good luck dude, have fun :)

Yeah I've been growing seedlings under just single or double 2ft fluorescent tubes and they seem to be the perfect amount of light (20cm or so away) for at least the first six months then moved a bit closer if need be, compact fuoros are probably better when they're a bit bigger but tubes are fine for the start.

And then you could have 2 or 3 levels of propagation rooms in that same amount of space (and the same or less power) if space is a factor, as it is for me.

Looking good though I've been wanting to try those lights just need some more room.

My 3 foot fish tank has never failed me with the take away tek. i chuck a thermometer in there and it basically stay a constant 26d Celsius and that with only 1 fluro on for about 18 hours a day.

My 3 foot fish tank has never failed me with the take away tek. i chuck a thermometer in there and it basically stay a constant 26d Celsius and that with only 1 fluro on for about 18 hours a day.

And how do the fish feel about that? :P

I recently did my first takeaway tek too...although I'm not sure if it's gonna work. I didn't screen out the wood particles from the soil mix I used (with lots of added perlite), so the surface is kinda rough and may have rot issues...I'm also not sure if I used too much water, but figured it was better to err on the side of a little too much without any values given.

But that's the beauty of it I guess...if I fail this time, all I've really done is learned one way not to do it. The thumb grows greener with every attempt haha

Edited by gtarman
  • Like 2

It was used as a yabbie tank... until i ate them.

• Like 3

Next time sieve your soil mix gtrman, then add sand and fine cocoa coir :)

• Like 1

Sprinkling some coarse sand 1-2 mm pieces to the top of the soil does wonders for seedlings even if they're not sprouted yet.

I've germed seeds under 14/10 and 12/12 fluoro and filtered MH and they seem to do just fine. I use the heat mat since I germ in winter and ambient temp varies from 15-20 C from nite to day.

If your set on artificial light id recommend one of those fluro tubes, something like a reptile light or a bit stronger. But no serious wattage is needed for seedlings. What youve got there is a grow light, 125-150 watt, no point wasting power when you dont have to.

Have to agree here, I'd stay away from 24/7 light cause its moar expensive :wink: . I have no idea at what point seedlings are able to fix CO2 at night so I like to give them a little night time from the beginning.