The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SalahBougrine

Trichocereus scopulicola

Is the orange tissue weak and muddy? It doesnt look so good and its possible its really infected. In this case you would need to cut away a good part with safety distance. But its also possible its only enzymatic activity that looks very similar so i would keep it totally dry and make sure all wounds get a lot of fresh air. If something changes, let us know.

Poor guy :( Looks like some pretty heavy scarring on the areoles, did you have something eating him up before the fall? Definitely doesn't look normal, but he did take a pretty good whack it looks like. Sorry about your friend.

looks like a compounds fracture. needs a blood transfusion

• Like 1

fell? it looks like it exploded.

If its not spongy an yucky maybe clean up the ends with a knife sulfur it and see how you go?

• Like 1

its also possible its only enzymatic activity

Well, this is not the first time I see the inner, white part of a cactus but I've never seen something so reddish...do you perhaps have more informations about this enzymatic activity?

orange rot?

looks alot like my old daddy loph did

I swear it 'fell off the balcony' :rolleyes:3_21_013108_Kenya.jpg?1318992465

Edited by NegativeDave
  • Like 2

They turned orange probably because of high ambient humidity.

Cut away the orange sections saving as much of your plant as possible, and then dust all cuts with a rooting powder or powdered sulfur.

Then plant all the sections horizontally. Just lay them on the soil and maybe scoop a little soil at each side.

Your broken up cacti will root & throw out pups like you wont believe.

No need to water the soil until the sections are rooted & new pups are growing.

Well, this is not the first time I see the inner, white part of a cactus but I've never seen something so reddish...do you perhaps have more informations about this enzymatic activity?

I´ve seen two diffrent types of this orange colorations. One thats clearly pathogenic and ate away large parts of the cactus and another one that didnt affect the tissue. Cant tell you what it is because i dont see it good enough but if theres anything moist and mushy around the orange spots, i would definately go with zellys suggestion and cut away a lot of it and put it into a warm and dry place. What i particularly dont like is the fact that there are some cracks and slits where an infection finds the ideal conditions. So yeah, cut away all "pockets" that can turn out to be problematic because there is no fresh air getting in. And make clean staright cuts. Some of the wounds look like they´ve been eaten by a badger so you need to cut away something there too.

Is it orange on all of the inside or are some parts normal white? I was wondering if watering with borewater (over its lifetime) may cause the inside to stain from the Fe?? Just a wierd thought.

EDIT: Just saw the date.....Superbump!

Edited by einseins