The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jonstn

Pineberry in Australia?

Just read about pineberries, never heard of them before until now they sound delicious, but I can't find any suppliers of seeds/plants in Australia :(

Has anyone on here grown them? I'm curious as to what they would be like to grow in aus, a white strawberry that tastes like pineapple sounds the bomb!!

Pineberries.jpg

http://strawberrypla...ry-pineberries/

• Like 2

i want some, my mrs was telling me about these the other day

Have only found them on eBay so far :s around $10 for 10 seeds, would prefer a more reputable source but ebay might have to be the way to go.

from what i've read they are grown from clones so the seeds may not be true to form

i'd def like to grow them as well.

Edited by Moses
  • Like 1

Ahh poo that makes it a bit more difficult, maybe you could breed Fragaria chiloensis and Fragaria virginiana to get viable seed? That's a fair bit of effort though hahaha

it is a hybrid with Fragaria chiloensis right?

I didn't grow the pineberry but F. chiloensis, F. vesca and F. ananassa/magna 'Mieze Schindler'

the beautiful wood strawberry (Fragaria vesca), propagated from a small plant out of the forest:

2hds004.jpg

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

it is a hybrid with Fragaria chiloensis right?

I didn't grow the pineberry but F. chiloensis, F. vesca and F. ananassa/magna 'Mieze Schindler'

the beautiful wood strawberry (Fragaria vesca), propagated from a small plant out of the forest:

the tastiest straw in the world, man i miss hunting for wild strawberries and blueberries :wub: , in the austrian forrest's.

and than all the wild berry fruits, yum.

absolutely, I'm collecting wild berries every year, overall I'm an enthusiast of wild food...

I made liqueurs by pickling the fruits in alcohol, with wild cherries, wood strawberries, wild raspberry, wild blackberry, wild blueberry, wild sorbet, wild barberries, cowberries, wild plum, cranberry, juneberry and many more

This plant is very rare in central europe, it is the european cranberry (Vaccinium oxycoccos) in flower, here in the Schremser Moor (bog, swamp):

dpwt4n.jpg

The critically endangered real Wild Grapevine (Vitis vinifera subsp. sylvestris) with only around 40 specimens left on 10 locations in europe, here with flower buds in the Danube- alluvial forest near Vienna:

2mywwhx.jpg

hwlouw.jpg

• Like 3

The "Mieze Schindler" strawberry, fertilized with wood strawberry- pollen, gave this delicious fruits:

2wpouhh.jpg

Wild juneberries (Amelanchier ovalis) from the Viennese green belt:

dc7qyo.jpg

Wild sorbet (Cornus mas) from the Danube Island:

do07it.jpg

Peruvian wild tomato (Solanum pimpinellifolium 'Golden Currant'), growed from seed:

16kysj.jpg

Wild blackberry from the Leithagebirge in Austria:

dfzpyq.jpg

• Like 5

nice one, i also eat the fruits of wild roses (hagebutten) when i'm bushwalking in austria, i love bush foods!

That Peruvian wild tomato looks like a real winner :drool2:

I used to grow the golden currants and I still get the red currants coming up in the yard. Lovely fruit. I grow the alpine strawberries best tasting little strawberries ever pretty sure they are F. vesca.

Edited by Stillman

yes, the golden currant- wild tomato is very delicious and refreshing in its taste. The alpine strawberry shoul be the vesca, except it has horizontal standing-away hairs on the flower-stalk like the musk strawberry has (Fragaria moschata).

interesting site on Fragaria- species, on german, but you can translate the site...:

http://www.obstbau.org/content/service/wissenswertes/erdbeeren_aus_amerika.php

• Like 2

Mindperformer, would it be possible for you to collect some seeds of your Mieze Schindler strawberry and send them to me in Australia? I'll be happy to pay for them. I know that they will not come true to type from seed, but I'm hoping the result will still be some good strawberries. It's impossible to find Mieze Schindler in Australia, or any other good European strawberry for that matter. Pretty much all the varieties in Australia are modern, average tasting ones. About the only good one we have here is Cambridge Rival.

Also, what colour is the fruit is your Fragaria chiloensis strawberry. Is it a tasty variety?