The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazonian

Samsung kies

I am so frustrated with the software that came with my Samsung GT i9000, its called Kies...and its a total piece of crap!!! To get photos from your phone to your computer, or to hook up with some music from your computer etc.., you have to go through the software that came with the phone. It rarely works, and i am constantly reinstalling drivers, turning phone off and on, taking battery out for one minute...all the things that Samsung tech' support told me to do over the phone. If your lucky, it will work like one out of 20 times. GRRRR.

Even Googling "Samsung Kies is a piece of shit".. comes up with many hits all with the same problem.

Does any one have this crappy thing called Kies, and have they found a way around it? . Bluetooth isnt working and wireless transfer of files wont work either.

Pretty good phone, but Kies is just `$*# ^&@#!% !!!

:angry:

Agreed. It's a heap of shit.

I just installed the driver, and then access my phone (galaxy s2) through My Computer as a removable USB device.

Well, a little window pops up and says the device is ready to use, but I cant find it on my computer.

I might get a bluetooth dongle thingy for my laptop and see if i can access stuff that way.

I'd uninstall Kies, and right-click my computer -> properties -> device manager and if you see your device listed, right click and select uninstall.

Then try this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1655286

I personally haven't tried the above driver (I can't even remember what driver I'm using -- I think I just went into Kies, then Tools -> Install Device Driver).

Have a crack and see how you go.

If you want all the file / music sync crap that Kies has, you can use something like Media Monkey to do that against a removal USB drive (ie your phone) anyway.

Tell me about it. I just got given an S1, couldn't update the OS because of Kies not recognising the phone etc.

Then just two days ago I mentioned to a collegue (Physics nerd) my problem. "I can fix that" he says.

He used something called CM mod (I don't know shit about this stuff so can't really elaborate sorry) to install a modified/optimised (?) version of Android 4 point something, now it's like a brand new phone! Fast as, no more crashing, all new OS and options. Hell yeah!

(I should mention that he also bricked my phone in the process lol... but then built a reset key pulling apart a micro-usb cable, soldered 301K of resistors across 2 of the usb cable wires, plugged it into my phone, then right as rain :) I wish I knew how to do this stuff, very cool)

Yea, I run a Custom ROM on my phone too.

It's definitely worth it -- especially for the older Galaxy S1, as they don't seem to be too keen on fixing stuff as much anymore.

In reply to Alices post .... ah, bit too technical for me :). I have already sent the phone away to be repaired once, as i was trying to update the phone software, it just froze. Not user friendly hey.

You would think that Samsung would be trying hard to improve Kies hey, but when i talk to tech' support, they seem casual about it, and say its not a common problem...bullshit!

I'd uninstall Kies, and right-click my computer -> properties -> device manager and if you see your device listed, right click and select uninstall.

Then try this:

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1655286

I personally haven't tried the above driver (I can't even remember what driver I'm using -- I think I just went into Kies, then Tools -> Install Device Driver).

Have a crack and see how you go.

If you want all the file / music sync crap that Kies has, you can use something like Media Monkey to do that against a removal USB drive (ie your phone) anyway.

I will give it a go. Thanks SYNer.

:)

Well, Kies wont let me uninstall it. I even downloaded a Uninstallkies.zip , and that cant do it :BANGHEAD2: .

I haven't given up.

This is what i get when i try to uninstall..

By the way, i am not a total fool, and don't usually have trouble uninstalling a program, ...its this Kies thing,,,it hates me !

post-7430-0-61715900-1348915318_thumb.pn.

crapolla.png

crapolla.png

Other option is just go to Start -> type 'msconfig', hit enter.

Go to Startup tab, and untick anything with 'Kies' in the name under Startup Item.

At the very least, that will stop Kies running until you open it.

This way, it will keep the driver installed. You should then be able to just plug in the phone and see it in My Computer

Ok... i updated anything windows had for windows7 (dunno if that helped remove program?!), and then removed Kies from the start menu as SYNeR suggested. I was then able to remove that crap Kies crap crap,yay!.

I downloaded the Samsung device driver from the above link...

And guess what ???? ... finally... i am getting the phone come up on the computer. :) (I hope it lasts)

So Thank You for your help SYNeR...much appreciated.

I had tried different computers, USB ports and different cables etc.. and had been battling with that shitty software for almost a year, so I am glad i started this thread.

Cheers.

Agreed. It's a heap of shit.

I just installed the driver, and then access my phone (galaxy s2) through My Computer as a removable USB device.

I did this too - with both s2 and s3

Edit:Oh! and kies is shit.

if a device will be exchanging files with a computer (eg phone, digital camera, ipod) it should have the option to function the same as a USB stick (another drive appears on your computer, you swap files at will).

if it can't function like a plug n play USB drive, for the mere moving of files, don't buy it and think twice about buying anything from that company.

Whoever designed this piece of crap, i want to ring your neck

Kies never helps me solves any problems with my phone, only helps me waste half a day achieving nothing GRRR

^ It is EXTREMELY frustrating software to use hey. I deleted the Kies, and just use the device driver, though sometimes that is a bit hit and miss too.

I installed Kies and then uninstalled it within 10 minutes. It reminded me of iTunes and how much I hated it, about 5 years ago (haven't used it since)

To do most transfers to my phone I:

* installed free FTP server on phone (an app simply called FTPServer)

* map network drive (your phone's IP address) to a folder (just google it for your OS)

Now you can just drag and drop files to the "phone folder", wirelessly.

I hook up the USB cable for large transfers

Hate to say it, but the device driver always works fine for me ? (galaxy s3)

Device driver always works fine for me too on my Galaxy S2..

i predict nokia reclaiming all of it's customers from samsung and apple in a few years. apple will always have a small loyal user base. microsoft operating systems will be the favourite for portable devices.

microsoft had some scummy tactics around the turn of the millenium but that's in the past, i think microsoft and nokia have both proven they can make products FOR the consumer. there are some valid points if you wanted to argue against me but i put my money on microsoft and any company that gets behind them. nokias new hardware is right up there and they're catching up on the web side of things with "nokia music (i think)" and so forth. software like nokia pc suite has never caused me woes. the problem is windows 8 needs software developers to boost it's "app-base". it seems like consumers are trying to find reasons not to get the new lumia handset and i suspect it's to avoid change and avoid losing access to their favourite pointless apps.

actually android is outcompeting microsoft for mobile platforms, they already dominate 72% of the mobile device market.

FyXRF.jpg

yep, i was predicting that it will change. predicting and also hoping. if microsoft drops the ball or win8 just doesn't catch on as it should (with consumers or software developers) then nokia will go down with it. they're pumping all this money into developing competitive smart phones, in hopes of winning a tiny slice of the market back off of those villains.

Hate to say it, but the device driver always works fine for me ? (galaxy s3)

Device driver always works fine for me too on my Galaxy S2..

Hmm, i think part of my problem is the phone itself hey. There are lots of glitches with it. Sometimes the head phone jack works sometimes not, sometimes it just turns off randomly... bit of a lemon my phone.

actually android is outcompeting microsoft for mobile platforms, they already dominate 72% of the mobile device market.

I am not a fan of andriod. Though it is only the one device that i have had a taste of Andriod, so i don't know if its the devices fault or andriod, or both. At the moment, prefer apple.

this will probably sound offensive, but I've seen a few people make very difficult transitions away from iphones. I think owning an iphone irreversibly dumbs down some specific neural circuits, through disuse. I knew these people to be reasonably intelligent prior to the iphone.

:wink:

^ Lucky I don't own an iPhone then hey. :P

I do have an iPod touch though, that's where I get the apple experience from.

here's a proper suggestion, instead of shit-stirring:

a friend recommended AirDroid.

I've had a quick look at it and it seems to offer the functionality of Kies, but it runs through your choice of web browser over wifi.

(Only issue I had with it is having to open the port for it.)

Also, you can use an app called ES File Explorer to connect to your pc from your phone to browse/copy files, if you need to do it that way also.