The Corroboree
whitewind

Paper on Kratom Use in Thailand

interesting paper,

focuses mainly on the (il)legal status of Kratom. I hoped to find some more infos on the old ritual use of Kratom in Thailand and Malaysia but there was only mentioned a undefined and decreasing use in ceremonies and that it may have been emerged from Malaysia.

In regards to their "conclusions and recommendations" - wow. I'm very impressed. If only our own country could be that progressive.

Facilitate unhindered access to kratom for scientific research and explore medicinal properties, especially its potential as a substitution drug to manage alcohol and drug dependence.

Inform and build the capacity of Thai media and the general population to present balanced evidence that does not stigmatize people who use kratom and 4x100.

I abolutely agree with you, Anodyne

Yeah it's a good read, seems like very sensible recommendations based on science and evidence, with a distinct lack of hysteria. I have never tried Kratom, but it sounds a lot safer than many of the new synthetic drugs and much less dangerous than, for example, alcohol. The medicinal potential sounds huge too, what a shame our government feels the need to prevent research into that.

Kratom is great (paradox because stimulating and sedative) pleasure and medicine in one, and in a greenhouse its easy to grow (after all you need UV-radiation and tropical conditions for the same alkaloid profile)

It would have been a great substitute for opiates with lower addiction potential, but the pharm industry earns more money with synthetic substances, so they have limited interest and encourage the paranoia of the governments (from euphorics and trance-states in general, independent from studies on the harmlessnes). In our society such states of conciousness have no place because its all about functioning, productivity and making money in an engineered system. In the Eastern world traditionally there is more sense for altered states of conciousness, because in the most ancient beliefs there is a higher reality than the every-day-life. It was only the western global influence which leads to the restrictive laws we have today in this countries.

It is promising that there are some changes in Thailand.

Some don't care about this laws and simply chew the leaves of the own plants, but with restrictive laws there are great obstacles in research on this promising plant.

Edited by mindperformer