The Corroboree
modernmachine

Breadseed Poppy with pure White Flower What P.Somniferum Variety?

Hey guys, somebody I know has used some spice aisle poppy seeds to grow some flowers. They bought a variety that said 100% Australian owned making the buyer think they were mostly probably Tasmanian Poppies. Anyway the person planted these blue coloured seeds and 2 months later they flowered showing 4 petals of a pure white colour. Does anybody know what strain of P.somniferum this would be. They had blue seeds and pure white flowers. The person thought they would be Tasmanians but seeing as they don't have the purple streaks he is not sure. Does anybody know what strain of p.somniferum this is?? Pleas help as they are really keen to know. Thanks

Oh ok thanks. Can persian whites come in blue seeds though? I thought P.whites were from white coloured seeds? Im so confused by them. lol

100% Australian owned is not the same as 100% Australian grown

*not all Tasmanians have purple streaks

Edited by waterboy

Yeah they the persons who grew them said the bottle they had said 100% Australain Product which seems like everything is from Australia. Meaning grown, packaged, shipped, etc. FYI Etherealdrifter I am pretty sure they were bought in Foodland so they can't be Coles Isle Strain, lol the brand name of the bottle is GFresh and the seeds are blue. Waterboy what do you mean not all tassies have purple streaks? I mean this has 4 petals like the tassies but is pure white. I thought that tassies had to have purple streaks? If you know more about them PM me or answer I am so keen to find out :)

I stare at hectares of em every year, no not all tassies have purple streaks. It is the dominant trait.

Some have the purple hue, some are white, some lilac, and red ones pop up occasionally. Weedy ones often revert to red.

EDIT - have said it before Tasmanian varieties are bred for tassie soils and tassie climate. They are not magic beans...Poppy agronomy is world class here

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

wow that's amazing, do you think that would mean that they are the same genetics or would it be different? I don't know much about botany so forgive my ignorance. But would it be just a different phenotype of the same variety? Thats so weird you'd think they'd all be the same. I mean I assumed to have pure white flowers it would have to be from a pure white seed as it goes. Very interesting. I gotta make my way over there to Tassie and go for a drive passed and check them out. cheers waterboy ;)

Correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't it be near impossible for even a very experienced poppy grower to identify particular strains of P. somniferum?

I don't have much experience with them yet but from what I've read there has been alot of interbreeding, much in the same was as cacti. And then theres taking into acount the variable traits of each strain, as waterboy said.

Edited by Thegribbs
  • Like 1

my nanna's 1's all looked different growing together. then wen the snow would come......it was just snow everywhere......... then spring would pop up and they grow with colours in their petals that were a mixmatch of all of nanna's previous years colours. strang huh mang?

• Like 1

I know what you're saying Thegribbs, I thought that Tasmania grew one strains meaning that cross-pollination would be rendered mute seeing as they're all the same. I assumed they where all white with purple in the middle. I really have no idea, I'd assume some expert would be able to pinpoint some type of origin based of characteristic, but that's just an assumption I don't know man. I'd have to ask an expert. And another insightful comment there Ethereal your Nanna must have quite a colourful garden in spring. Good on ya :wink:

Tasmania grows several cultivars (varieties) and these are tailored to the agronomy required , and then there is the morphine and thebaine chemovars (varieties)...only morph seed goes out as foodstock

I still dont understand the international hang-up on these as a holy grail....the morph lines come from turkish stock originally....

No idea of the genetics involved in colour expression, its probably multi-trait so its very complex. But as mentioned before modernmachine you have a picture of the predominate colour .

Its consistent alkaloid production (under set agronomy standards in a cool maritme climate) that they have been bred for.

I am led to believe some landrace varieties are more consistent in the expression of colour.

Tasmania grows several cultivars (varieties) and these are tailored to the agronomy required

That's interesting.

If you can be bothered, could you go into more detail about the different cultivars? I didn't know there were different types grown in Tasmania apart from the high-morphine and high-thebaine strains.

Also, what's a "landrace" variety?

(sorry to be lazy, but I prefer to hear stuff from someone on here than to do a google search, because it's more interactive and we can discuss stuff as it comes up)

Hey Waterboy, you seem to know your stuff and are correct as far as my question goes. I was told today by the person who is growing these flowers that more of the flowers have bloomed and are the same four petaled white colour but also with the purplish bits around the middle. They are all from the same seed stock and it looks like for some reason the first flower that bloomed was white but the consecutive ones are more typical of the so called "Tassie" strain. I am also not sure why people think Tassie are some super plant when they must have been bred from other heirloom varieties thus making the parents of the Tassie genes obviously just as good, wherever they originated. So it is confirmed for anyone who ever has this question in the future that Tassies don't always have white and purple as is proved with the pure white flower that was on this person Tassie plants. There are lots of different types of Poppy and personally I dont think tassie are the best looking flower. They may be the best as far as their use for legitimate/legal medicines but there are definitely some more colourful,complex patterns and designs on other varieties. I have heard Burmese white/China white strain are also a good variety for certain reasons and I would guess that maybe Tassies have that bred into them? Or maybe like you said are some child/grandchild of some Turkish hybrid of sorts. Either way was very interesting to learn Tassies can have pure white flowers as well as the Purple and white. People seem to fixate on only being able to identify a Tassie by white/purple flower but that is not always the case. I'm going to be listening to you in the future Waterboy, your information and opinions was spot on.

lol...most of what I say is lies and bullshit (for the record)

Most of them are just coded varieities, you wouldnt see any difference in them. Some may be more drought resistant, some can handle "wet feet", different soils and then the obvious chemovar tweaks as examples.

This is a very complex chemical producing organism..... and no two paddocks are the same from an agronomy viewpoint

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landrace - better than me crapping on :wink:

Afghanistan, Burma and other haunts have them.....

• Like 2

So when you say most of what you say is lies is that in itself a lie? so in a sense you're telling the truth by lying?? lol

Edited by modernmachine
  • Like 1