The Corroboree
qwertyuiop

The Currency Revolution - With Bitcoin

Haven't found coinjar that great and they are a single player...

Whats a single player?  Im actually considering returning to coinjar so im interested to hear specific issues if you can be bothered writing then (I left because they bit the bullet and implemented GST when they were legally obliged to, otherwise I liked them)

Gotta agree, Coinjar's slipped in quality imo. Plus they're just market makers rather than an exchange ( if that's what single player meant)

I'd recommend https://www.independentreserve.com/

Apart from general speculation on price direction, I think the Brexit news/outcome is/will be affecting the price.

I'd still suggest holding for the long haul, but it's pretty high risk buying in / selling out right now..So only play with what you can afford to lose.

+Interesting info: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-15/currency-nado-yen-yuan-surge-gold-tops-1300-bitcoin-spikes-28-month-highs

Edited by qwertyuiop
  • Like 1

A detailed comparison of bitcoin suppliers is given here -

http://comparebitcoins.net/

The best wallet is either electrum, which is also included within the tails operating system, or mycelium which runs on your smartphone. All three of these options run through tor.  you will need to mix your coins though for your transactions to remain anonymous.

https://electrum.org/#home

https://tails.boum.org/

https://mycelium.com/

Bitcoin is quite technical to work out but once you get your head around it you should see it has amazing potential. Ethereum is also worth looking into once you understand bitcoin. It has a few more levels of complexity. You can easy download the mist wallet on the ethereum website.  Bitcoin can be coverted into ether using the shapeshift webpage or brought through btc markets shown in the first link.

Given the technical nature it is best to research crypto on forums and subreddits focused on the topic.

• Like 1

Thank you for the leads! :-) awaiting my security code in the mail-

Any email you link to an exchange should have 2 factor. Also setup 2 factor on the exchange so you don't get hacked. If you do get hacked its game over you loose. You can store your private keys in a hardware wallet like trezor which runs through both electrum and mycelium.

https://bitcointrezor.com/

• Like 1

Someone is draining 3,500,000 ETH and counting its dropped 20% bit of a mtgox moment for eth

and one more for good measure.

http://pastebin.com/CcGUBgDG

This is from the "hacker".

1. ===== BEGIN SIGNED MESSAGE =====
  2. To the DAO and the Ethereum community,
  4. I have carefully examined the code of The DAO and decided to participate after finding the feature where splitting is rewarded with additional ether. I have made use of this feature and have rightfully claimed 3,641,694 ether, and would like to thank the DAO for this reward. It is my understanding that the DAO code contains this feature to promote decentralization and encourage the creation of "child DAOs".
  6. I am disappointed by those who are characterizing the use of this intentional feature as "theft". I am making use of this explicitly coded feature as per the smart contract terms and my law firm has advised me that my action is fully compliant with United States criminal and tort law. For reference please review the terms of the DAO:
  8. "The terms of The DAO Creation are set forth in the smart contract code existing on the Ethereum blockchain at 0xbb9bc244d798123fde783fcc1c72d3bb8c189413. Nothing in this explanation of terms or in any other document or communication may modify or add any additional obligations or guarantees beyond those set forth in The DAO’s code. Any and all explanatory terms or descriptions are merely offered for educational purposes and do not supercede or modify the express terms of The DAO’s code set forth on the blockchain; to the extent you believe there to be any conflict or discrepancy between the descriptions offered here and the functionality of The DAO’s code at 0xbb9bc244d798123fde783fcc1c72d3bb8c189413, The DAO’s code controls and sets forth all terms of The DAO Creation."
  10. A soft or hard fork would amount to seizure of my legitimate and rightful ether, claimed legally through the terms of a smart contract. Such fork would permanently and irrevocably ruin all confidence in not only Ethereum but also the in the field of smart contracts and blockchain technology. Many large Ethereum holders will dump their ether, and developers, researchers, and companies will leave Ethereum. Make no mistake: any fork, soft or hard, will further damage Ethereum and destroy its reputation and appeal.
  12. I reserve all rights to take any and all legal action against any accomplices of illegitimate theft, freezing, or seizure of my legitimate ether, and am actively working with my law firm. Those accomplices will be receiving Cease and Desist notices in the mail shortly.
  14. I hope this event becomes an valuable learning experience for the Ethereum community and wish you all the best of luck.
  16. Yours truly,
  17. "The Attacker"
  18. ===== END SIGNED MESSAGE =====
  20. Message Hash (Keccak): 0xaf9e302a664122389d17ee0fa4394d0c24c33236143c1f26faed97ebbd017d0e
  21. Signature: 0x5f91152a2382b4acfdbfe8ad3c6c8cde45f73f6147d39b072c81637fe81006061603908f692dc15a1b6ead217785cf5e07fb496708d129645f3370a28922136a32

• Like 2

Hey all,

So i kinda forgot about my btcoin wallet and just had a peak...

I found that bitcoin is at around 2.5k aud.... Wtf???? 

Can anyone shed some light on what is causing this and what it is likely to do next???

Ps, thanks @rahli :-) i wouldnt have bought the coins if not for you!!!

• Like 1

Legitimised in Japan recently.

I will edit this post soon with some worthless guesses.

Edit, so huge amounts of currency have gone into btc, ethereum and some of the many altcoins lately.  Despite its gains btc has become a smaller slice of the cryptocurrency pie.  ethereum is its own thing but I have no faith in altcoins, everyone is buying them to get some of that early adopter action.  Might as well buy a lottery ticket.  For the time being I would favour bitcoin over altcoins either as a store of value or a gamble, but for the record I dont own any of them.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

12 hours ago, doublebenno said:

Hey all,

So i kinda forgot about my btcoin wallet and just had a peak...

I found that bitcoin is at around 2.5k aud.... Wtf???? 

Can anyone shed some light on what is causing this and what it is likely to do next???

Ps, thanks @rahli :-) i wouldnt have bought the coins if not for you!!!

Mate I saw this the other day and nearly DIED as well. I was using coins end of last year and if i can remember correctly the price per coin was nearly half this $2.5k amount. oh my god!

I got scammed out of about $650 worth of coins, end of last year. To think I could of potentially had $1300 worth of btc in my digital wallet as apposed to zero right now is distressing to say the least...

Insane price jumps!

Fwiw my guess above that bitcoin will win back its share of the crypto market is contrary to what others are saying (that bitcoin dropping below 50% market cap is a peek into the future)

Ive ummed and ahhed about getting a crypto allocation for years, actually the main barrier was laziness.  Many people look at the overall performance of btc and think "I want a piece if them gains".  I think of it in terms of the fact that cryptos are a kind of hard money akin to precious metals.  This is because they are scarce, and though there are still ways to game their markets or affect supply, nobody has the power to shit out gold or bitcoin.  So then you have to ask yourself, when it really matters what form of currency is going to be easiest to exchange for other items of value.  obviously in an EMP attack or coronal mass ejection aimed directly at earth, crypto will be harder to spend than gold or cash so thats one consideration.  I think all three are worth owning, with precious metals the least risky and crypto the most speculative.

I want to quickly mention that a bitcoin fork is needed and the community cant come to an agreement, a shitstorm seems possible and if we end up with two currencies then who knows?  Intuitively I think it will be a huge blow to bitcoin.  If you just want to take a little punt or sit on a small allocation of crypto then go ahead but if you want to throw lots of money at it you should really do serious amounts of research first.  

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

@2XB

Mad time for crypto. My ether is cutting sick. Got a few other coins too that are flying.  Btc is still dying. Higher and higher fees and slow transaction times. 200k transactions stuck in the mem pool. No solution in sight. Price of btc is going up..... but eth is going up faster.

@ThunderIdeal

The ledger nano s is sweet. Very easy to use with myetherwallet

• Like 3

Time to pull the super, exciting times!!

gsfgdfgd

Edited by Teljkon

Sia coin about to go off?? Could be worth looking at if you can :-)

• Like 1

So a friend of mine had a beta ethereum wallet which has developed into jaxx, a wallet many people have lost fortunes to.  Usually though they log into their wallet and find the ethers gone.  My friend can no longer log in (possibly someone stole and changed his password).  Attempts to contact jaxx receive the autoreply "withdraw funds immediately as wallet will soon be unsupported".

Any ideas?  He has the mnemonic password but cant find anywhere to enter it.  Is it possible to find the ethers via the blockchain if theyre still there?

----

My personal decision has been not to invest in crypto since i dont have the knowedge to travel those lands safely nor the inclination to learn how. This incident is certainly reinforcing.  You have to know a few things before you go parking your life savings in blockchains.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 2