The Corroboree
nitrogen

Nitrogen´s Connoisseur hybrids - pics and seed giveaway

What are people thoughts on chipping in to get this TPM genetically sequenced ?

I guess we would also need the sequence of a wild type TP to make a comparison against.

It would be cool to learn more about the genetic factors that regulate these amazing plants, as far as im aware the specific mechanism behind monstrose cactus is not very well understood at this point in time, although im aware, my own awareness is also limited.

Edited by Change
  • Like 1

Glad these seeds are arriving safely! It warms my heart! USA recipients are a certainty, but anytime plants and seeds have to clear international customs issues can arise. That said though, I've not had a single package sent to Australia not get through, in all these years..

Per the mutation rate - all the TPM crosses that I've done since the initial TPM x SS02 cross (2008 I think it was?) have been with the same TPM plant, which I picked up many years ago at a small cactus nursery that has since gone out of business. I suspect there are different strains of TPM - my TPC is clearly different - it grows crested as well as monstrose, and looks different in other ways. I should probably give my TPM motherplant a name to distinguish it from what may be other strains of TPM that have and probably will produce hybrid seed. Let me think a bit regarding what to name the thing - how about either "Phenshine" or "SpheroStrato"?

In previous years, the mutation rate seems to be about 50% for this TPM as mother, and 30%+ for this TPM as father.. Hard to say though - sometimes as the seedlings get bigger they develop monstrose pheno that wasn't apparent when younger..

Edited by nitrogen
  • Like 10

TPN - Trichocereus Peruvianus Nitrose :wink:

• Like 4

Wow think I awoke the whole neighbourhood this morning when I opened my postal box..

Nitrogen i can not thank you enough for all your hard work and generosity..

• Like 3

these are all above amazing crosses

• Like 1

I was checking out the mothers shown in the begining..

Nitrogen, I would love to see some more pics of your TPM mothers and clones (looks a bit like the altmans/"short spined peruvianus" phenotype) and your large TPC mother.

I have two large specimens of TPC. they look like yours acttually.. Does your large mother TPC flower every year after 2012?

check out this thread also, if you like:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42379&hl=

Edited by sagiXsagi

Hi there sagiXsagi - there are a number of pics of the TPC and TPM on the first page of this thread - and then some others on page 20.

Lol, my TPC is now Zelly's TPC - it is growing in the ground over at his place and is doing awesome! So much healthier than when I had it in a pot + no sunshine + mealy bugs. It only flowered in 2012 though - had not before and has not since - it's putting on a bunch of vegetative growth right now so maybe it will do that for a bit before flowering..

• Like 4

Woo hoo....happy to report I just shit myself when I opened the letter box.

Thanks sooo much Nitro. Your a bloody legend!

PS. You owe me a new pair of undies ;)

• Like 3

Here's some pics of Nitrogens TPC...I'm just the caretaker :wink:

nTPCDSCN0694.jpg

nTPCDSCN0696.jpg

nTPCDSCN0699.jpg

nTPCDSC_0232.jpg

nTPCDSC_0227.jpg

I'm pretty certain Nitrogen put his return address on all those seed containing envelopes he recently mailed out & this being the season and all, he'd probably totally get off on a christmas card from ya'll & a few AUD's, Deutsche Marks, EURO's or a few Dead Presidents...

He's blown all of us away with his generosity, reciprocate in kind & show him some love mates........

True, and when I can decipher the handwriting I'll be doing that!

• Like 2

^haha me too

Lol man my handwriting is atrocious - and gets worse all the time!

Cubism I am deeply sorry for your loss re the underwear. I also want to apologize for any undue distress this caused as you shuffled your way back up the driveway, clutching your rear, attempting desperately (and unsuccessfully) to prevent the unsavory matter from spilling out the bottom of your shorts onto your sandal'd feet. I imagine this event has set things back a bit regarding the precarious peace between you and your neighbors..

• Like 11

wow amazing mother plant! thanks for sharing zelly..

Lol man my handwriting is atrocious - and gets worse all the time!

Mate its funny you say that!!

My misses thought your hand writing was mine and said that the thought had entered her mind that i may have sent the letter to myself?

Got your seeds today mate.

Sexual Chocolate Mate! :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

• Like 4

First cubism's followed by nitrogen's and then Master b's comments... So funny I cried.

Thanks a bunch nitrogen, I got a mine today. Stoked!

• Like 1

So I germinated a sample (~ 10 seeds of each cross) and the 1st to germinate for me are #3 (Sharkxx Blue X TPM) til now.

I planted all these sample seeds on the 19th of November.

I thought I would document this, so we could compare our germination results.

• Like 2

Well, I recieved a very special, unexpected delivery today! :)

Intercontinental seeds from the very top shelf!

I'm totally blown away with your generosity Nitro. Not only financially but also with your time. I couldn't imagine how long it took to clean all those seeds and post them out to everyone. I get overwhelmed when I've got two things to send out, let alone close to a hundred!

Much respect to a top man. :worship:

The world needs more people like you.

Thank you kindly! :)

• Like 6

That is a beautiful plant Nitrogen. Kudos to Zelly for care taking. I kind of like the ring of Phenshine.

oh man i cant wait to sprout these.. thanks very highly zell and nitro!!!

wooot!

LJ x Sharxxblu

Psycho0 x Sharxxblu

Psycho0 x LJ

Psycho0 x Tpm

=]!

• Like 3

I recieved and planted mine on thursday.

Thanks again nitrogen I can't wait to see how they turn out ☺

Thank you so very much Nitrogen, the magic beans made it safely to nz, soooooo happy.

Amazing genetics here :worship:

Much excite!!!

True, and when I can decipher the handwriting I'll be doing that!

Hey mates if you can't read nitro's hand writing or want to confirm what you think the addy might read, feel free to send me a PM, you certainly won't be the first ! :)

• Like 2

Stoked they are all arriving!

I decided to sow some of these crosses myself - realizing that I have a south facing window that gets several hours of sunlight each morning that, coupled with the warmth of indoors, should be just fine to get them started this winter. Sowed them up about 2 weeks ago - getting near 100% on all of them except with Lumberjackus as mother - those have been much slower to germinate - only a few have so far - curious to see if it's a seed viability issue or if they are just slow to germinate - the LJ motherplant received the same treatment as all the other cacti, though it flowered much later in the season than the others.

Lol Zelly, very few people can read my writing! That is nice of you to suggest that folks send ol' nitro a xmas card or seeds and that sort of thing. Please though SABers, don't send me any currency - makes it feel like the seeds weren't a gift then..

• Like 2