The Corroboree
Mickodog

Ayahuasca retreats in Peru

Anyone know of a good Ayahuasca retreat in Peru?

So many to choose from, anyone been to any? Any recommendations or advice is appreciated.

Cheers

There's a good doco called "Other Worlds"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347718/

The shaman retreat they show on that seems pretty legit. I think this is it

http://www.shamanportal.org/display_details.php?id=3919&country=north%20america&category=Resources&sub_category=Healers

How long are you planning on going for?

Thanks Buttsack just watched 'Other Worlds' again. You are right, the Shaman on this seems to be the real deal. Planning for a month.

Edited by Mickodog

I went to Iquitos a few years ago and visited the DAS ayahuasca healing center (http://www.ayahuasca-healing-das.org/) for about a week. I would recommend them - the surroundings are beautiful and isolated. I did have some trouble connecting with the Currando, but I think it was mostly the language barrier. He had trainee helping him with translating, and he was extremely accommodating and kind. It was an amazing experience and I wish I'd planned to stay for a month as well.

I think there is a variety of different retreats around Iquitos and you should be able to find them easily when you're there. I do remember hearing about a few places offering one-off ceremonies. Maybe if you visited a few different ones, you'd find a teacher and location you really connect with.

Hey Domide,I spent some time there as well, I was over at the start of August 2010 & spent a week at Percys, the whole trip was absolutely amazing all 2 months of it.

I really liked DAS and would not hesitate to go back though I have no comparison in Peru. I was surprised that Percy didn't spend more time there.

I could probably rant on how awesome Peru was for hours.

Check over at the Ayahuasca forums for some idea of who is good to see. If you spend any time in Iquitos outside of the retreats you will find out about other ones available no doubt, I couldn't help but bump into people with stories to tell.

Thanks guys, wasn't sure if I should book anything before I go or just turn up. Want to research and prepare as much as possible.

Hi Fenris & Domide, can you explain your time there, and what you did during non-ceremonial times at the centre? I suppose my query is whether a guest is expected to be caught up in a certain 'spiritual conduct' or whether one can simply chill out to themselves without being proselytized to.

Also, domide, you mention a language barrier. Do you know if Percy spoke fluid Spanish, or other? Maybe that's a silly question, but I was of the mind that much of the Amazon region spoke Portuguese, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were still indigenous languages used (that is speculation only). My partner speaks Spanish, and it's been on my 'next language to learn' list for a while now, to coincide with a journey to Peru.

I spent the majority of my time in a private cabin either furiously writing or laying in a lucid dream type state. I was only interrupted by Percy's father when he was bringing more tea, food and supplies. There were discussions planned in the general hut but you weren't required to attend. So no, definitely no expectations to be actively involved in spiritual discussions or even the ceremonies. You could also leave the compound whenever you wished. From memory, the only expectation was that you didn't use any other mind altering substances.

Regarding Percy's language, I'm almost certain he spoke Spanish to his translator. His translator, Carlos, was Mexican and I'm pretty sure he could only speak Spanish and English. I definitely recommend learning as much Spanish as you can before you go to South America. Unlike other countries I've visited, I found that almost no locals spoke English.. it got pretty lonely at times.

Fenris, did you ever hear about the jaguar that was roaming around the cabins?? Maybe that's why I spent so much time in the cabin, haha.

• Like 3

Ok it had been raining furiously the day before I arrived and I got off the bus with an old guy of 65-70 and we chatted and he agreed to show me how to get to Percy's. The jungle was flooded and all the planks that sat 2 feet off the ground were 3 feet underwater. The old guy knew which planks had fallen away and where we had to step from post to post, we eventually got to his hut where he put his stuff down, we heard a grumbling feline noise not far away and he picked up his machete and signaled to me to see if I had heard, I asked un gato? and used my hands to approximate a cat size, he grinned and shook his head. Shortly after that he left me with a couple of young guys who took me the rest of the way, the final trek I had my backpack on my head and water up to my belly button. I couldn't believe that I was going the right way as apparently it was a 30 min trek from the road, it ended up taking me about an hour.

The jaguar didn't stop me wandering as far inland as I could go before the the path became uncrossable, nobody mentioned there was one on the loose that might be a problem, I just assumed the one I had heard would probably want to leave me alone.

During non ceremony time I was reading and relaxing in my hammock and chatting with the other people there, it was uber relaxed and really great to get to know a bunch of interesting like minded people. There is no electricity there and I usually wandered back to my cabin when it was dark.

Percy most definitely speaks Spanish, and you will need as much of it as you can get your head around. The translator when I was there was Carol and she spoke Spanish, English, some German & French.

I also found that most people don't speak English and it is absolutely necessary to at least learn some basics.

It was such an awesome adventure. BTW I didn't fly into Iquitos, I flew to Pucallpa, got on a river boat with about 150 locals and spent 5 days in a hammock chugging up the Ucayali & Amazon which really helped increase the "I'm having a freaking awesome adventure" factor, fortunately there were 4 other English speakers on board as well which helped to pass some time.

• Like 3

Great feedback, guys. Thanks. Might scratch it into the Calendar for 2013.

there is a retreat that burries you for free if you happen to die... so no need for travel insurance there

• Like 2

A really good mate from the US is looking for a 5-7 day Aya retreat in Peru in the very near future

Does anyone have any recent recommendations? I've pointed them at this thread