The Corroboree
gtarman

Arundo Donax seed giveaway!

Hey guys, I've finally gotten around to it - my first giveaway, and I'm glad to be spreading the love at last :lol:

The first 8 people to post on this thread will each receive 5 Arundo Donax seeds, which for some reason seem a little hard to source in Australia (at least this time of year), so here you go. I know it's not a huge amount, but it's free, and more people get to grow it this way!

Also, a little plant trivia for you: in addition to being a well-known entheogenic plant, Arundo Donax is also the reed from which the Middle Eastern flute called a "ney" or "nay" is made - an ancient instrument that has been around for almost 5,000 years, and can produce some of the most hauntingly beautiful and plaintive sounds in the right hands.

Here's one example...

Happy snatching! haha

• Like 1

well, done. i'm not after any seeds personally but looks like a cool and interesting plant accompanied by and equally cool giveaway.

kudos!

• Like 1

brilliant, these seed would please me indeed

cheers

• Like 1

generous offer gtarman i'd love a pack, quite an interesting plant,

be great to get some big enough for a flute. :)

• Like 1

I'd love a pack too! :) very keen!! Thanks.

• Like 1

I would love to be a part of this giveaway of i could. :) cheers!

I just watched the video you posted and it sounds amazing. cant wait to try and make a flute out of this. i have a friend who carves stuff and he would be delighted to work with something like this.

Edited by Alienteaparty
  • Like 1

Yes please gtarman, a pack would be great.

Nice give away.

Cheers

jox

Edited by Jox
  • Like 1

Yes please :)

Edit; just looked/listened to the link , yeah flutes are the go hey :).

Thanks gtarman.

PM'd.

:)

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 1

Guys just be careful where you plant this one. It can be pretty invasive in damp areas, and quite a devastating weed of riparian areas. It's not a declared weed in Aust, but i think it is in the US. It is doing some real damage here on some of the Hunters big rivers.

• Like 2

^ Thanks for the heads up Les Hiddins. It sounds hardy?!...so theres a chance i wont kill it with my lack of green thumbness?!

any interest in shipping to the U.S.? It would be cool to have a couple of these.

Sorry mate, local only, probably should have said in the main post.

There's still one pack left for whoever's still keen!

Yes please :-) Pm'd :-)

Edited by evil

Guys just be careful where you plant this one. It can be pretty invasive in damp areas, and quite a devastating weed of riparian areas. It's not a declared weed in Aust, but i think it is in the US. It is doing some real damage here on some of the Hunters big rivers.

Horror weed. Best not to spread it on the East Coast of Oz. Really bad weed on NSW Mid North Coast.

Rhizomes spreads with floodwaters and it is really difficult to kill. About to resort to bulldozer for about 4ha of the rotten stuff.

• Like 1

^^ I wasn't aware of this...please take note everyone who receives seeds, and make sure you grow it responsibly, somewhere it can't escape it's bounds :wink:

i'm #8 by my accounts.

yeah, thangs gman :)........i'll keep to all the adhered guidelines of growing it so plants and other people aren't harmed.

• Like 1

Thanks heaps for your offer gtarman, very generous, but I will have to pass as I don't have the room.

Cheers

jox

Hey guys, just sent out the seeds yesterday arvo to everyone on the list. Eth, just read your post now - with Jox out you would've been 8th I believe, although I ended up giving one pack to an offline friend. I'm pretty sure I have enough left over to help you out too though - PM me your postals and I'll sort you out an envelope tomorrow :)

That concludes the giveaway for anybody still reading I'm afraid. Enjoy!

Hey gtarman, i received the seeds today.

Thank You :)

• Like 1

Ok late reply, thanks gtarman i received seeds also :-)

• Like 1

No problems guys. I just sowed out a few myself...the method I used (that I found online) is to get a few of those small seedling pots, fill them with potting soil, press the seeds lightly into the surface with your finger, then stand the pots in about 3cm of water, and leave them. I also misted the surface so the seeds themselves were moist to start off with. The website said expect germination in one to three months...but in my experience most grassy plants are much faster..so we'll see!

Hi

I study Arundo donax as part of my PhD thesis, and I'm really interested to know if you finally had germinations.

Good luck!

• Like 1

was just going to say this :)

Its a massive weed here in WA and most people just think its bamboo :wacko: