The Corroboree
Bert&Ernie

Named Clones Database Discussion Thread

Oh I see it now..

Spines per areole are highly variable though - a given strain can put out flushes of several spines or even just one or none, depending on the environment.. Anyhow, I'd love to see some more pics of your Tig strain

• Like 1

ive seen numerous peruvanoid clones come up on ebay that fetch high dollar selling prices. names are from seed collection sites im pretty sure...peruvianus js06, peruvianus mb01 and others....There have been lots of trichocereus peruvianus clones and a brigesoid called lumberjack that sells extremely high dollar. Also the "wild Andes" thin necked peruvanoids are selling for extremely high dollar amounts. Does anyone know if people dishing out this cash iz because these plants have a reputation that i have not heard or are they just looking to add alternate varieties to their collections..... ive never heard of peruvianus with names like js0 or mb0.... till now. Im growing a spined pachanoi rooted cutting called Dave Turner but i havent had it long enough to note growth habits but it looks very attractive and is a darker green with redish medium spines. Has anyone heard of it? I never had until someone sent it to me. Thank for that if your here!?!? Ive got several pachs all with different growth habits.... some of them branch freely at the base and others just grow tall .... im not sure if they are named clones or what tho. ???? Also my bridgesii have different growth habits...some fat some thinner some deep green some yellowish some grow fast some hardly at all and all with different spination??? Again ive never heard that they have clone names. What are some great peruvanoid clones and there characteristics that i might want to keep an I out for??? I cant afford ebay at the moment however..... have u seen how much these trichs with alternate names and characteristics are selling for on ebay???? Holy crap!

Hi Guys, please use this Thread to discuss the upcoming Clone Database or to make suggestions. I will merge the posts from the Database Thread into here for discussions. bye Eg

Your outline for the database seems like it will work good. Theres so many peruvanoids about these days.....I think this database will be very helpful to collectors. I for one am looking forward to it.... i have questions as my previous post states that i seek answers 2.

Most plants that are around within this community have been passed down from member to member and are pretty much unavailable outside Australia. If there are some available on ebay, they can sometimes get rather expensive. But it all depends on what someone is willing to pay for a particular plant. If two people collide in an Auction because they absolutely want to have something, a cactus that people in Australia would trade away for free can reach a good price. You know, SAB is one of the first adresses that come up when people are looking for san pedro. And people always want what they cant have...

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

You know, SAB is one of the first adresses that come up when people are looking for san pedro. And people always want what they cant have...

Hi all!

ummm :scratchhead: SAB???

Yes Aussie clones on ebay are priced out of limits

The U.S.A. Ag dept doesnt allow plant material without costly certificates to enter into the country so any Aussie clones here allready are rare. If the AG dept find plants without the required docs they destroy them and can fine the recipient. I noticed many peruvanoid cuttings with collection site names of an imperial foot from California were selling for close to 100$ US dollars on Ebay..... That seems really KRAZY to me. There seem to be many more Aussie named clones that are raved about. The trick is that you cant grow a successful clone from seeds. Seeds that are available for sale and ok to ship to the USA. Seed progeny may not produce the desired plant. Seeds from hybrids are extremely variable. I hope some clones from the Americas will be included in the database.... there are many out there but they rarely have names other than the seed collection site. At least thats what ive observed over the past few years... since ive been actively seeking peruvanoid varieties.

SAB= shaman australis botanicals

• Like 2

Paisano, got a picture of the 'Dave Turner'? Also the thing about ebay is there's almost always someone who can thrown down more money than you are willing to spend so it's always a crap shoot to successfully walk away with nice cuttings.

Edited by turtle_hermit

Plants can be imported to the USA with no certificate at all - so we can receive any tricho from Aus.

Sure they can, but if CBP decides to open your package and you don't have permits, they take your plants and mail you an empty box with a letter inside. Happened to me twice over the summer, the bastards.

Howdy, GoT. Always get linked to threads over here, figured it's about time I jump in.

Never told you how beautiful that cake was, was it bitter? heh

I have only had one lot of cuttings not make it to the buyer in the US and I have sent quiet a number of packages so the odds are def in favour, the risk is very small ime. The limiting factor being the cost to ship the cuts in the first place.

Not knocking you PD, but I have had multiple packages from Thailand that were intercepted in the US.

edit: but I have also had many packages from different places make it through with no problems. I think it's total luck of the draw.

Edited by turtle_hermit

wow I started this thread :)

Not knocking you PD, but I have had multiple packages from Thailand that were intercepted in the US.

edit: but I have also had many packages from different places make it through with no problems. I think it's total luck of the draw.

luck and the country of origin - Australian postal services target specific counties. Maybe Australia is low risk compared to Thailand in the US.

• Like 1

so umm... BUMP.

Just curious. Is any progress still happening behind the scenes with the named clones database? :scratchhead:

Took off with lots of enthusiasm but it all seems to have fallen a bit quiet. Really keen to see the end result of this project.

:)

• Like 1

I think it would be nice to have a system where different people growing the same clone can put all their images in one place. The best thing I can think of (at the moment), would be a wiki (users and passwords requested by SAB members, to then edit the wiki). This way there can be a bunch of photos (helping to show that the same clone can look completely different in different environments), and there'd be no bottleneck in terms of editing (wouldn't be a big job for any one person).

• Like 4

BUMPITY!!!

I loved the idea and still oving it. The project is ongoing, yeah we kind of neglected it, me at least, but we are still growing plants and adding to the collection, so in the end it will be as easy as uploading a couple photos / photologs.

Simpler than even wiki is a subforum

with a thread for each clone, where it will be required to post a photo to first open up is practical, but I am not sure about drawing unwanted attention.

I have many photos to provide of know clones, and more coming soon. Unfortunately in most of the occasions my photos are not of very big plants.

That would be instantly integrated too - similar to the member trading thread. But it still puts the editing of the information (the word part) into the hands of the topic originator - in the case of further information. For example if we had incomplete information regarding Juul's Giant - then some new evidence comes back (i.e. the DNA study), and the original topic creator has left the forum - then the new information would be at the back of the thread, which could be now 10 pages long. So to get a quick idea of the plant in the future, could take a lot of reading. :)

Would be nice if this forum software allowed to make topics that could be edited by anyone of a certain member level (make a new member class for editing these kind of topics). That would be even better. Maybe this feature already exists? Maybe the editors could be promoted to moderators of only that subforum without any other moderator priveledges?

Your points are spot on, if indeed what we had to do with this topic/ pictures / system was a means to a tangible end...

But have it seen from another take:

There are really not many definate facts to be said about each clone, apart from species, some phenotype notes, some cultivation notes, some other notes about it being interesting that would brind unwanted attention , so I guess those last ones are excluded. Note, that I said notes, and not some guide. Some say Eileen is particularly hardy. I have not seen it, IMO Tig is much more hardy and fatty and all. Anywayz

And the people who would like to read such a thread, lets face it, would be more or less obsessives for different clones of trichcerei. So each thread would not need to be edited, it would flow like a normal conversation. We could put some disclaimers and try to not load each thread with un-related conversation. But in each of these threads, owners and growers of each clone would share photographs which would be a super amazing thing to watch as some of these clones are spread around the world and in different microclimates, and other notes and info on them.

We could put a restriction that only people who have grown the clone are permitted to contribute to the thread of the said clone.

Just thinking aloud here...

just saying what I wanna see. I wanna see a thread named Psycho0 full of pictures from all over the world and discussion in its phenotype. Eileen too. The semi-monstrosa bridgesiis...

OR we could have only limited number of threads:

subforum: clone discussion

f.e.

bridgesiis

semi-monstrosa bridgesiis [kai, melted wax, bruce, lotusland]

monstrosa bridgesiis [tbms, crest]

peruvianus peruvianus

peruvuanus macrogonus

cuzcoensis

pachanoi

pachanoi monstrosa

etcetera....

tbc

On 9/11/2012 at 10:33 AM, Paisano said:

Im growing a spined pachanoi rooted cutting called Dave Turner but i havent had it long enough to note growth habits but it looks very attractive and is a darker green with redish medium spines. Has anyone heard of it? I never had until someone sent it to me. Thank for that if your here!?!? 

Dave Turner is a pachanoi sourced from the now defunct Turner Greenhouse in Nevada.  Dave and Kris (Misspelled as Chris in the linked article below) Turner both retired.  When they did, a local collector bought out his entire private tricho collection.  The Dave Turner clone was the collector's favorite pachanoi "ever" (he says to me)  for it's fast growth, mature notching, and tendency to get frosty blue in the shade, and so he gave it Dave's name.  Which is a thing we do I suppose.  

I have one of these quite by mistake.  I was trying to source a "Dave" as mentioned in one of Trout's books, tracked down this collector, and ended up with this one.  Still...I didn't sell it on eBay.  I will say that mine is a dark green as well, because of where I keep it.  

http://www.reviewjournal.com/gardening-linn-mills/turner-greenhouse-owners-moving-other-things

Paisano, got a picture of the 'Dave Turner'? Also the thing about ebay is there's almost always someone who can thrown down more money than you are willing to spend so it's always a crap shoot to successfully walk away with nice cuttings.

turner.jpg

turner.thumb.jpg.24eab1b23d590910e82591c7a0507a10.jpg

turner.thumb.jpg.24eab1b23d590910e82591c7a0507a10.jpg

Edited by Trevyn
  • Like 2