The Corroboree
willbe

Acacia podalyriifolia

Has anyone had any experience with this particular wattle? Ive read that it has tryptamines in the leaves.....Any ideas what exactly is in it?

The leaves contain tryptamine. Tryptamine is inactive.

To the best of my knowledge Podalyrifolia contains no DMT or 5meo-DMT.

so how much (legal & inactive!!) tryptamine is in it? any references or actual experimental data?

What is the defenition of a tryptamine? Do u just mean not active to smoke?

tryptamine is a particular molecule, but it also refers to a group of compounds that have the tryptamine molecule as their core.

I was talking about tryptamine itself (not the group) - which is inactive and legal.

Torsten:

so how much (legal & inactive!!) tryptamine is in it? any references or actual experimental data?

Don't know. Just repeating what I have read.

When I find some time I wouldn't mind doing some experimentation and finding out.

where did you read it? any indication of quantity?

their is a small reference to it in TiHKAL in the Fabaceae part of the "DMT is everywhere" chapter..

no indication of quantity

check trouts notes

relevant title(s)

im sure i saw it there also

BUMP!

I don't know how long it has been like this, but the Wikipedia (veritable fount of all knowledge worth knowing) has this sp as having 0.5- 2.0 % DMT in "fresh bark" giving a book in German as a reference. I call bullshit on this one, because the reference (which is in g00gle books) does not back this up, and nor does any other reference I can find.

Send complaints about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_p...lic_tryptamines to WriterHound http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:WriterHound

Anyway, I was reading about tryptamine the other day, particularly it's entry in TIKHAL: http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online.../tihkal53.shtml

and here: Tryptophan metabolism: http://www.genome.jp/dbget-bin/www_bget?path:hsa00380. I'm pretty sure I don't understand most of this, but it sure is interesting stuff.

Ah that book again, I'll have to get a copy eh? Thanks for the tip.

Either way I'm going to collect a stack of seeds later in the year as the uni here is covered in them (along with some other interesting looking specimens). I guess I'll just have to do some hands-on research for a change.

check trouts notes

relevant title(s)

im sure i saw it there also

Just so ya don't have to buy it Yeti :P

The ref for podalyriifolia in trouts notes says

Tryptamine, Phenthylamine, and B-Phenethylamine.

Just so ya don't have to buy it Yeti :P

The ref for podalyriifolia in trouts notes says

Tryptamine, Phenthylamine, and B-Phenethylamine.

Thanks Sina - does it specify leaves or bark etc? Sounds like just what I'm after though.

Sorry, should have added that. Leaves, stems and unripe seedpods.

You should honestly buy it though. Cheap and worth it for anyone seriously interested in the phytochem of Juliflorae and a few other Acacia families.

Hey Guy! I realize this is an old post, but I kept finding it when I was researching this misleading Acacia species. The wiki is completely wrong about this tree containing DMT. Acacia Podalyriifolia contains NO DMT. I have 2 trees right out in front of my house and 3 more down the road in which I have sampled bark and leaves and done both an acid/base extract with HCL/NaOH and a dry extract with white vinegar/CaOH on all 5 samples and nothing comes out. I have used both these extraction methods successfully with Acacia Confusa and MHRB, so I know they work. The last extraction I stripped the poor trees inner bark by about 3 cm for nearly 500 grams... Still nothing.

So to save resources, trees, and peoples time... I am trying to find all the Acacia Podalyriifolia posts online and put and end to this hopeful but misleading idea that it contains up to 2% DMT. Sorry guys. Glad to have some one refute me though and prove me wrong because I'd kiss them! But if you do please provide details as to how you did the extracts... don't just say "I got some".

Oh, and I know for a fact they are the Acacia Podalyriifolia species because it identically matches descriptions and started to flower 2 weeks ago... exactly when it is suppose to with exact matching flowers... which triggered me to give it one last final attempt. I've also posted pictures in the NExus and it was confirmed by other members.

Thanks everyone!

~Jez

• Like 1

By

nothing comes out
do you mean that there was no alkaloid (of any kind) extracted at all?

Hey Guy! I realize this is an old post, but I kept finding it when I was researching this misleading Acacia species. The wiki is completely wrong about this tree containing DMT. Acacia Podalyriifolia contains NO DMT. I have 2 trees right out in front of my house and 3 more down the road in which I have sampled bark and leaves and done both an acid/base extract with HCL/NaOH and a dry extract with white vinegar/CaOH on all 5 samples and nothing comes out. I have used both these extraction methods successfully with Acacia Confusa and MHRB, so I know they work. The last extraction I stripped the poor trees inner bark by about 3 cm for nearly 500 grams... Still nothing.

So to save resources, trees, and peoples time... I am trying to find all the Acacia Podalyriifolia posts online and put and end to this hopeful but misleading idea that it contains up to 2% DMT. Sorry guys. Glad to have some one refute me though and prove me wrong because I'd kiss them! But if you do please provide details as to how you did the extracts... don't just say "I got some".

Oh, and I know for a fact they are the Acacia Podalyriifolia species because it identically matches descriptions and started to flower 2 weeks ago... exactly when it is suppose to with exact matching flowers... which triggered me to give it one last final attempt. I've also posted pictures in the NExus and it was confirmed by other members.

Thanks everyone!

~Jez

Hey Jez...

Given this is an easily identifiable plant and found readily around SEQ, I too have been sucked into researching this thanks to the miss-information found on Wiki. I've tried at least 4 times using various AB and STB methods on fresh bark (100-200g each time) with absolutely no positive results. I concur that this Acacia is not worth wasting time and money investigating further. The info on Wiki is really quite deceptive and I'd hesitate to trust it in future as a point of truth for DMT related claims outside of the well documented sources.

In saying that, I'd be very interested to know if anyone has experimented with any of the native Psychotria species with positive results?... furthermore, has anyone had successful results with ANYTHING not currently documented? ...like Eucalyptus, Banksia's and other OZ natives???

Cheers

By do you mean that there was no alkaloid (of any kind) extracted at all?

Exactly Yeti... NOTHING... Clear white Shellite. I did originally get something the very first time but it was not active. I am assuming it may have been plant fats? Since that first time though, absolutely nothing.

~Jez

That german reference only claims traces of PEA in podalyriaefolia, and clearly states that no tryptamine is present. So I think the problem is in the translation.

The statement on the sab page regarding tryptamines would have been base on trouts notes, so would need to look up the relevant ref there.

Curiously that german ref [which is actualy a reference to a reference] also states that longifolia contains PEA and no tryptamines.

Discussion in this thread has gone way beyond the rules in terms of self incrimination, but the topic is important so we'll let it go for now. Please be careful though.

Someone I know performed an acid base extration on podalyriifolia foliage, and obtained a small amount crystalline material. No idea what it was, but it was inactive. The details are sketchy, but from memory it would have been less than 0.1% dry weight.

I remember someone telling me that this species contained NMT the mono-methylated compound which is inactive.

TLC did show a spot that may well have been this compound while DMT was not detected.

Edited by Mycot

Burning a dried seed pod smells vaguely interesting/*mildly* familiar but I want to compare the smell to a confirmed specie before I’d go any further in theory. 

has anyone confirmed different species carry more active in different parts of the plant than others? Apologies if it’s all stuff I should remember. I don’t see pods mentioned that much with acacia even tho with Anaden. They’re mentioned all the time. 

Happy to give some seeds away as well. They’re beautiful trees but I believe pests in NSW