The Corroboree
mindperformer

Oralsprays for small doses of elixirs

Years ago it occured to me that making oral-sprays from macerates / tinctures / elixirs would be an ideal way to get small doses and the taste / contact of a plant.

It was a time before Sativex, Kanna- and Kava- oral-sprays appear on the market and I was amazed when they came up.

The labels are shielded... (among others Kath, Kratom, Iboga, Salvia d., Lagochilus, Gastrodia, Kava with Fiji-water, Kanna with Karoo-water...)

A tip: If you want to make a oral-spray, let the filtered elixir age for about 2 months, then decant and filter again through (2 stucked together) coffee filters, to avoid agglutinating of the jet.

A Kava- oral spray is ideal against toothaches...

The spray-organ, one of them is a nasal spray:

2gy2h39.jpg

• Like 5

You can make an oral spray from any plant with stable alcohol- soluble agents and about 90% of the constituents of plants are (more or less) alcohol-soluble.

Its ideal to buy 98%-alcohol and grind your plant material very fine and put it in a screw-top-jar, then pour as much of the alcohol in the jar only just to cover the plant material. Shake well and put it in the dark for 2-3 weeks. Filtrate through coffee filters, save the elixir and then put the plant material back in the jar and cover it with distilled water. Shake well and the next day you filtrate again. Combine the elixirs and let it stand for 1-2 months, then decant and filtrate again- now you can pour this clear elixir to a oral-spray- bottle, which you can get at drugstores.

Ideal is 30-50% alcohol (depends on the amount of water) to conserve it and keep the constituents soluble.

Edited by mindperformer

i'm not sure why you let the combined liquids rest for 1-2 months, but i know that resting the extract for ample time, will make all the solids drop to the bottom of the glassware. this is called sediment removal, and i'm not aware of any teks on the internet, which mentiones this.

mindperformer's above tek includes sediment removal, but i want to point out this step in more detail.

some people might employ fancy vacum filters, and the use super filter paper, but most of us don't.

so letting it stand for a few weeks, to get rid of the sediment is a very good way to optain a solids free product.

decanting, the material does work, if you have steady hands, and don't rush it, but be carefull not to "get the sediment raising again" once you are doing this. once the sediment raises up, you stopp decanting, otherwise you will move gunk into the fresh clean vessel.

now, you have to wait till the sediment settles again (this could take a week or more), and than decant again.

a better methode is to, syphon off the sediment free layer, if we talk large volumes. or to use a syringe (preferable a glass one) or a dropper (~20ml or more, from the pharmacy), if we talk smaller volumes. for tiny volumes around 10ml in total, use an eye dropper, to leave the sediment behind.

even if you use a dropper, be carefull not to disturbe the sediment.

removing sediment will avoid that the oral spray nozzle will not clog up!

@ planthelper: thnx 4 uR additions, I absolutely agree with your achievements :wink: