The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
at0m

More market finds

Question

I woke up to a couple extra cacti this morning which were purchased for me from the local market.

Another myrtilocacuts?

50b0f.jpg

e4k4m.jpg

I have no idea.

GJ7iv.jpg

f4WQr.jpg

Kept accidentally burying the pups when I was repotting this... It has far nicer roots than the other one.

25 answers to this question

I'm no cacti expert and might be way way off here

But Number 2 looks like an echinopsis of some sort to me

Hopefully someone more versed on the subject will agree haha

I really have no idea I have very limited I'd skills when it comes to cacti

Wat does everyone else think???

Where's EG..... :)

If it is, $3 is a steal! :o

• Like 1

Wow. Number 1 is cool.

Looks like some type of myrtilo to me. What kind though I have no idea. The flowers are cool.

Second one is maybe Echinopsis eyriesii or hybrid? first one is Myrtilocactus are they flower buds?

edit could be E eyreiesii x E seminudus (or similar) you see them getting around a bit up here.

Edited by Stillman

They seem to be, yeah.

Wow so I was right with echinopsis YAY for me :) hahaha

I must be getting better at this :)

E. subdenudata x E. eyriesii perhaps?

• Like 1

thats the one I recon, wait for the flower, It should be a big white one. But there are some really cool hybrids out there that have awesome red flowers etc. Massive for the size of the cacti. I really like the Echinopsis hybrids. If you like big bright flowers Paramount hybrids are the way to go.

yeah Myrtillocactus and Echinopsis. Never saw a Myrtillocactus of that size putting out buds so thats actually a good sign. Would be great if you could post some more pics later on when the flowers developes. Little bit too early to tell what species it is so maybe post another pic when its bigger.

Second one is some kind of Echinopsis. Probably Echinopsis Eyriesii but it could as well be some hybrid with oxygona or something else. The genus Echinopsis is so filled with hybrids that the pure forms are getting more and more rare. You´ll need to wait for the flower to confirm the ID.

Couldn't it just be a cutting with already established buds? No way that one is seed grown looking at how fat the base is. I'm still waiting for flowers on mine and it's a good 70cm's tall now with several arms.

Edited by Snowfella

There's no way it was seed grown on the root (singular) I saw when I repotted it. Is there any merit to that stress-induced flowering stuff?

Yeah snowfella, i guess thats way more likely. Was really surprised to see that dwarf putting out flowers. So sad to cut a flowering Cactus like that.

Well, with some roots already established it likely was cut before the buds started forming I'd say. Read some discussions in other forums about stemcuts possibly "remembering" their age and flowering "early". Sounds plausible to me as the cells already would of matured and reached flowering age, doubt they would revert to an immature state once the stem is cut.

How do you stop the Myrtilo's from turning to mush? I have killed a few from bunnings now so just gave up.

Here in Canberra mine turn to mush whether they are outdoors, covered outdoors, full water, medium water, no water, full rain, no rain. The only thing I haven't tried is indoors but if any more cacti come inside I am a dead man :)

It's a shame as I love the look of them and really rate the spines.

Probably get to cold down your way mate. I have had mine in the ground for near 3 years now and still havent seen sub zero temps, think if it did drop below that mine would be cactus ;)

Probably get to cold down your way mate. I have had mine in the ground for near 3 years now and still havent seen sub zero temps, think if it did drop below that mine would be cactus ;)

i assumed it might be that. Bunnings wouldn't care about it though as long as they are making their sales.

A couple young Myrtillo proved hardy for me here outdoors over winter. Plants didn't like it and got discolored, but no rot.

Maybe it's something else BF.

Forgot to post this...

The little myrtillocactus started flowering a week or so ago.

Here's a photo:

K8rPI.jpg

• Like 4

Got some other pollen at hand? Trichocereus maybe?

Edited by Evil Genius

Can't say I do, no. It's my first cactus flower, ever!

• Like 1

Guys can someone please give this man some San pedro pollen? :) Would like to see a hybrid between Myrtillocactus and Trichocereus!

• Like 1

Guys can someone please give this man some San pedro pollen? :) Would like to see a hybrid between Myrtillocactus and Trichocereus!

Would you be willing to spring for the cost of Express Mail to get Juuls Giant or T peru pollen there and still be viable? I've flowers of both that will opening in the next few days.... :wink:

Just calculated the prices for an usps express envelope and it said something like 70 bucks. Dont think i can afford that right now. But i´d be happy to pay you the standard shipping costs. Im sure your pollen is stored professionally enough to stay viable for a while.