The Corroboree
gtarman

Calea Z. and Silene Capensis...anybody else not notice any effects?

hey a viennese- this is very nice :wink:

thanks for many compliments!

dhere, dei wernarisch is jo eh no net eigrost! ka prob, mir geht a monchmoi des gimpfte auf in da stodt ;-)

Calea Z, although I have use it very little, helped (I believe) promote an extremely special experience for me. Before going to sleep, with eyes closed after approximately 3 days of use. Profoundly vivid imagery of a deep, personal nature was clearly emblazoned beneath my eyelids.

Tastes horrible and leaves me a bit dazed the next day. I can understand how it could have deep significance for spiritual work however. Left me wondering..

• Like 2

very interesting, did you make a tea? it really tastes horribly, i think it's one of the most bitter herbs. I preferred to make a dry extract, fill it in capsules and take one of them before sleep. the recall was always way better.

• Like 1

Yep, drank it in a tea. Didn't follow the 'smoke it before bed' reasoning either. The extreme bitterness didn't need to be compounded by smoke.

How did you manage to extract it?

I ended up boiling a batch and making ice cubes out of it which I could drop into a small bit of boiling water for a concentrated solution on the fly. However I'm not sure if this method works well for effect because I did this after my experience and haven't felt the need to really go back although I still have the ice-cubes (months later) and they are very bitter.

I think I've grown to the taste of the tea now, finding it somewhat enjoyable. That is with like a big spoon or two of honey in it to mask the bitterness.

I'm not too sure how much calea I usually use though as I don't have a set of scales, and so have never known. Normally a heaped spoonfull and a bit.

I'm curious as to your extraction method also Mindperformer as I'm yet to try an extraction and have quite a large amount of plant material to play around with.

with silene root, fresh dried root into a bottle shaken up for the froth,repated several times.

Then skimmed off and consumed until I couldnt stomach anymore (point of nausea) .I was advised to drink until I was actually sick but never reached that point. I think by day four I dreamed more than I was prepared for VERY vivid and a profound.

Was waking me up for many WTF moments, and then tapered off after a week.

• Like 2

With silene I need only a very tiny piece of the root, which is enjoyable to chew.

The extraction method (for Calea and many other plants): Grind it very well and pour 96%-alcohol over it in a screw top jar, just to cover. Let it sit for one hour, then pour about the same amount of distilled water over it. Then let it leave it in a dark place, shaking it sometimes. After about 2-3 weeks you strain through a sieve, put aside the liquid, and extract the plantmaterial again for one day, but now only with tap-water. You strain this also through a sieve and then combine both of the liquids. Filtrate it through (2 stuck together) coffee-filters and pour it in a large baking bowl to dry. The water should be vaporized in 2-3 days, if not its too cold, then put it on a heating mat or something warm. You should get a brown resinous, spicy smelling extract. Scrape it with a razor blade and put it in gelatine-capsules and those in a airtight bag or glass.

• Like 1

I have received some seed a wek or so ago I hit them with some gibberic acid and today there were 2 seedlings up so fingers crossed I can keep them alive. Looking forward to growing this plant.

• Like 1

Once I made a 6 month~ gin infusion from half a jam jar of Calea. I drank about half a hip flask of this (...very gut-wrenching), but nothing special happened. Probably wasn't very concentrated, and the alcohol probably interfered. Don't recommend doing it this way, haha.

it is possible that the alcohol interferred because it disturbes the sleep- architecture like benzodiazepines. there is less REM-sleep under these sedatives, but Calea is an enhancer of REM-sleep and improves the recall.

anyone got a photo of seedlings fresh up, I have what I think is 3 seedlings up but I also have some stray weedy little thing in there too. Just wanting to confirm that I am looking at the right plant. lol. Heres a pic I think the random smaller seedlings may be wormwood which I managed to get everywhere lol.

Sorry about the colour but from the leaf shape do you think I'm looking at right plants?

DSCF2351.jpg

Some interesting past threads on Calea, thought I might try and put it in one spot for future reference. My seedlings seem to be growing well, actually fast, but I notice they get a little leaf curl? Not sure if I should be keeping them wetter?

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18566&st=0&p=188376&hl=+calea%20+zacatechichi&fromsearch=1entry188376

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10103&hl=%2Bcalea+%2Bzacatechichi&fromsearch=1

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10115

I got my Calea ternifolia (former C. zacatechichi) as a plant, so I don't have a photo of the seedlings...

Calea's habitat range from quite dry in the highlands of Oaxaca to quite moist in Yucatán.

I water them only when the soil gets dry, but it also drinks much.

DSCF2012-2.jpg

These little plant grow really fast, I'm still not sure if its Calea?

I'm calling Ocimum sp. , probably a Tulsi.

They ^ dont have that 'three-pronged' venation that calea does.

spew yeah I thought it may have been stray weed seed. I'll grow them out a bit more but to make sure.

@ Stillman: I'm sure if its not a Calea species ...yours hat too flat leaves and are not really dentate and after all the three prolonged venations lack.

Does it have a smell?

Edited by mindperformer

Not sure about the smell, I don''t know what happened in the green house my watering vessel seems to have been contaminated with pest seed. I have alsorts of weird shit growing in my pots lol. I think I might just bite the bullet and buy a cutting lol.

I didnt read very much of this post past the first page, but thought I would share my experience with Calea Z.

Last night I tried some Calea Z. extract. Leading up to this I hadn't taken any drugs apart from 2 grasses of wine. It was made that day with an acetone wash, the final product was similar looking to pressed kief.

Smoked about a 6x3x3 chunk in water pipe before sleep. I found it very hard to get to sleep, and when I did speel it was light and intermittent. No dreams, though I feel fine today after a good sleep-in!

did you extract only with acetone?

I would try a 2-phase extraction, the first with acetone, the second with hot water, and combine the extracts, then I would ingest the extract. In extracts the heat- destruction of components often plays a great role.

I am currently making an acetone extract at the moment, so will also try that suggestion. Would you recommend adding the hot water to the acetone mix, the dried acetone extract or just the strained plant material?

i mean

put the hot water to the strained material (after the acetone- extraction) and wait a few days, the strain it too and combine it with the liquid acetone- extraction and let it dry together

I wonder if Huperzine is also oneirogenic, because its also AChE- inhibitor, like Lycoris radiata and Galanthus caucasicus.

Interesting wiki about Galantamine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galantamine#Supplement_for_lucid_dream_and_out-of-body_experience

it acts for 48hours...

Once I took a bit too much Huperzine, I had hyperventilation and attacks of sweating. I also felt some dissoziative effects, and now read that Huperzine also acts as a NMDA receptor antagonist:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0009279708002858

Edited by mindperformer

Completely negative C.Z. experience. Worked my way up to 25g extractions, acetone ,ethanol,water in separate experiments. Vapourised theplant and extracts. Probably works well on some, not at all on others.

1) Did you try just drinking the decoction?

2) Was it real? The fake one is actually being farmed for marketable foliage now.

... 3) it might not work on everybody :lol: