The Corroboree
Stillman

Datura metel var fastuosa

My Stramonium had a flower open at the same time as my purp metel and I had my hopes up till you posted that link Stillman. :(

Heres some more flower pics too lol

IMG_9942_zps3e6f2ea4.jpg

IMG_9951_zpsd8cb73ef.jpg

IMG_9964_zps5d4e4439.jpg

IMG_9978_zps640a9bbf.jpg

• Like 7

Interesting flower This one caught my eye because it was a really big flower, triple fully open but when I looked into it, there was another semi formed layer. Imagine a quad.

DSCF2054_zpsaa827769.jpg

DSCF2056_zps8ee1118e.jpg

• Like 5

wow, these are really gorgeous, Stillman. Do you dry the flowers? You could conserve them in cast resin

No Mp they wilt and discolour very quickly with the heat at the moment. I have planted out some of my second generation seeds but still waiting for them to germinate. And the Yellows keep growing.. The weather has been really hot but haven't lost anything yet.

Beautiful plants, def one of my favourites in the garden.

These are blooms from last year. The plant was in a 20cm pot and survived winter with a bit of die back. It's in the ground now and just about to have a second flush of flowers for this season (3rd pic)

post-5097-0-64077800-1358895871_thumb.jp

post-5097-0-20638200-1358895919_thumb.jp

post-5097-0-02296900-1358895980_thumb.jp

post-5097-0-64077800-1358895871_thumb.jpg

post-5097-0-20638200-1358895919_thumb.jpg

post-5097-0-02296900-1358895980_thumb.jpg

post-5097-0-64077800-1358895871_thumb.jpg

post-5097-0-20638200-1358895919_thumb.jpg

post-5097-0-02296900-1358895980_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Mine are light-years behind the rest of the plants in this thread but here are my three plants.

post-8023-0-96316700-1358989851_thumb.jp

I had good germ rates but a slug munched lots of my seedlings during a midnight raid when they were very small so i have ended up with just these three.. which is probably a good amount cause i am slowly running out of space.

They grow really fast huh?

IMG_2445.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG

• Like 4

how often do you upsize the pots Stillman?

or were yours grown in the ground from the start?

Mine are also behind the rest of the thread, But with abit of luck there will still be enough time left to get a flowers or two.

2013-01-23112029_zpsaa1ee73c.jpg

Ive heard rumors that if you place them underneath your bedroom window they can help induce vivid dreaming...

It shouldn't be to long now until i can start experimenting, has anyone else tried this ?

• Like 4

Not with this sp. but i recall extremely vivid dreams when i had a brugmansia double white flowering in my bedroom.

The smell was over-powering at night, i had to leave the window open :blink:

• Like 3

Mine are in 25cm pots I recon if I had put them in the ground they would have gone mad.

Not with this sp. but i recall extremely vivid dreams when i had a brugmansia double white flowering in my bedroom.

The smell was over-powering at night, i had to leave the window open :blink:

That is awesome. I can only imagine you had vivid dreams. The power in those plants (datura, brugmansia) is intense.

Said it before, but I'll say it again: Me thinks d.metel are the most beautiful plants and flowers of all time. So hypnotic to look at.

Thanks to everyone who posted amazing photos in this thread. I should dig out some of my pics from years back. I had some lovely plants.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, I went outside this morning to the smell of fresh perfume.

SDC11413.jpg

This year the flowers are showing their insides, in their first year the triple section stayed closed

SDC11414.jpg

• Like 3

I understand, Stilman... but the conservation of flowers in cast resin is very quick. First you put the flowers in high grade alcohol, but only a few seconds and let them dry a few minutes.

Then you put them in a form with the liquid cast resin and the hardener in it (the form coated with separating wax). After a few hours the cast resin will get solid, with the flower mummified for eternity.

If it is hot, the hardening process is very quick.

Here we have cold winter with degrees below zero for weeks

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

I'll have to give it a try then. I wouldn't know were to source the resin? I'll have to look it up.

this is a seller in oz who has the complete sets for resin works:

http://aldax.com.au/techtiparticles/resincastingjewellerychesssets.htm

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

Mindperformer, do you not loose any of the colour?

My friend has been setting all sorts of things in resin, but when she tried fresh sophora tetraptera (kowhai) flowers they became bleached by the resin. Does dipping in alcohol prevent this?

I've also noticed very slow growth from a metel chlorantha that's been growing for over a few months now, it's in the ground and gets full sun, although recently i've had to treat her with some insecticide due to a spidermite invasion. Here she is with the first flower:

01_27_01_13.jpg

• Like 3

it's rigt that te resin makes the colour lighter but in my experiences te alcohol also prevents this to some extend. The main reason for dipping in alcohol is to make it sterile.

Cheers for the info, i'll give it a try.

First flower bud!

post-8023-0-69842200-1362362639_thumb.jp

Will i need another plant flowering at the same time to get seed? or are they self-fertile?

I put 2 of my three plants outside in the ground, and kept one in the greenhouse in a pot. I wonder if this was a bad idea, as the one in the greenhouse has doubled in size, and thrown a flowerbud..but the other two have stayed small.

flowerbud.JPG

flowerbud.JPG

• Like 1

Nice boggy!

I got two plants from the seed you gave me about to flower in the next few days.

My other earlier plant produced fruit and it was flowering alone by itself. However some flowers on it produced fruit while others didn't ?? I'm a bit baffled by it. :huh: I doubt the bees would pass these flowers up.

IMG_0095_zpsd2630aef.jpg

Pic was taken when those f*cken spider mites had my garden by the balls.

Edited by Nemisty

First flower bud!

attachicon.gifflowerbud.JPG

Will i need another plant flowering at the same time to get seed? or are they self-fertile?

I put 2 of my three plants outside in the ground, and kept one in the greenhouse in a pot. I wonder if this was a bad idea, as the one in the greenhouse has doubled in size, and thrown a flowerbud..but the other two have stayed small.

they self fertile!! not all flowers will fruit but u only need 1pod theres soooo many seeds in 1 .

is it cold outside??, or too wet?? your greenhouse must b perfect for her :wink: