The Corroboree
Stillman

Datura metel var fastuosa

Can anyone help me out, is Datura metel on any noxious/ weed/ list in QLD?

Found this http://www.weeds.org.au/noxious.htm click on the letters to read Key to the lettering system but it looks OK in QLD? Or am I reading it wrong?

Edited by Stillman

These plants grow much faster than I thought. I'm thinking I might even get a second generation before it gets too cool. SO I think I will try and hand pollinate a few Triple blooms and save seeds from that? Work for a strong purple and full bloom. Not sure if its that simple but at the rate they are growing so early in the warm months I'm thinking there will be some sort of result in the end. lol.

edit

Pic taken today these will be my breeding stock If everything goes to plan, I'll keep a photo blog going in this thread.

DSCF2018-1.jpg

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 6

They are getting huge stillman, should start to see some flower buds soon. The seeds I sowed out over a month ago have finally sprouted, I planted out Metel var Chlorantha and Stramonium var Tatula so not sure yet which this is as I didnt label them.

IMG_4601.jpgIMG_4604.jpg

Edited by klip247
  • Like 3

Mine got attacked by bugs and have stayed at around 15-25cm tall. A bloom is opening today i will go take some photos.

• Like 1

Here are some pics. HAlf the flower didn't form as it was eaten by bugs in the earlier stages. They are such beautiful flowers. Purple, white and a hint of yellow at the base

post-6528-0-48896300-1349044296_thumb.jp post-6528-0-46433700-1349044322_thumb.jp post-6528-0-77246300-1349044347_thumb.jp post-6528-0-42547000-1349044366_thumb.jp

edit: sorry for double post but i wanted to bump the thread in the process so everyone could see my pretty pictures :P A mod can edit my posts together if they are bored.

post-6528-0-48896300-1349044296_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-46433700-1349044322_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-77246300-1349044347_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-42547000-1349044366_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-48896300-1349044296_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-46433700-1349044322_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-77246300-1349044347_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-42547000-1349044366_thumb.jpg

Edited by DarkSpark
  • Like 3

Potted up into larger pots and they are growing some big leaves.

DSCF2005-8.jpg

• Like 2

the way this grows we may get a third generation before Winter

first signs of flower buds

DSCF2005-11.jpg

DSCF2006-2.jpg

I'm not sure if they are self fertile?

i had to open the inner parts manually of the double inner flower of two different plants of Datura metal v.fastuosa and force pollination , ended up with a heap of seed though , good to see such a beautiful plant doing the rounds.

Edited by bℓσωηG

I think Datura metel is probably the most attractive plant I've ever seen. Not just the flower but the foliage as well. I don't think I've ever stared at a plant more. The word 'enchanting' comes to mind.

Thanks to those who posted photos. They're all amazingly healthy looking plants.

DSCF2003-11.jpg

DSCF2002-13.jpg

It's got really hot here and so I have been able to water these guys flat out and they are really putting on some size. In the end I kept 4 plants as I think they will get to big and take up too much space but hopefully I should get a few triple flowers out of this selection. Pretty plant I am surprised there not more common.

• Like 1

they have a blue shine or is it from the flash?

• Like 1

gorgeous flowers :P

have many daturas how do u upload fuken pics??

Edited by bullit

Mind performer they are a really deep green with a blueish ting I think due to growing them in a shade house, also probably why the leaves are nice and big. Can't wait for the flowers.

The plants are now about a metre tall and it looks like the first bud will open tomorrow maybe Monday?

DSCF2007-4.jpg

DSCF2006-7.jpg

• Like 2

Very close lol

DSCF2001-17.jpg

I was looking through this thread and from what I can tel I think these seeds were germinated around the 28th of August so to flower by the 29th / 30th of October. Awesome plants I'm planning on getting a few yellows and seeing how well they grow for me. Maybe even try a cross for some softer pinks? One thing for certain they are rapidly becoming my new favourite flowering plants. Now just have to see how well they set seeds. I took your advice PH and am feeding them heavily with a Canna product called PK 13 14 which we used to use on our chillis to dramatically increase pod weight and production. So should be interesting.

soooo close now lol. And looks like a few more getting big.

DSCF2001-18.jpg

and this morning (Thursday) its still not there lol I am the worlds most impatient gardener.

DSCF2001-19.jpg

DSCF2002-17.jpg

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 4

DSCF2003.jpg

DSCF2005.jpg

starting to look pretty and quite a few other buds starting to open.

• Like 1

God those flowers are so amazing, the plants themselves so stunning!

and its only half open lol can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow morning.

10 inch I think, If I put them in a bigger pot they would probably do better.

• Like 1

By failing what do you mean? The only reason i ask is i had a 10cm D. Stramonium form a tiny pod producing 5 or 6 viable seeds.

edit: I found a picture just before it ripened. Still looks healthy but from here shriveled, dried and made babies.

Oops havent looked here in a while. The thing just sat there for ages, when it started to open the seeds were still rather thin and white.

Triple bloom

DSCF2010.jpg

DSCF2007.jpg

DSCF2008.jpg

Really beautiful sent kind of like night flowering jasmine.

• Like 5