The Corroboree
Change

Germination Tips for Noobs

Update.

Everything in the 50/50 sand coco coir died,

I think it was from a spike in heat, its abit upsetting but its a lesson learnt.

Today i mixed more sand threw to make it 75% sand 25% coco coir then laid out the following to germinate.

Puquinensis * Scop

J3 * Pshchoo

T. Spach

T.Peruivanus * t.Pachanot

Ss01* Ss02

Ss02* Bridgesi

Superpedro* Scopulicola

Fat Spach* Scopulicola

Fat Spach* Gold

In a week or so once they all pop up ill post some pictures.

Update

Killed all the last batch, but it was a good learning curve because now im finally winning B)

My problem was either, to cold at night, to much light in the day or heat spikes.

Ive fixed the problem by keeping the seedlings in my bedroom and only giving them filtered light threw the curtains.

2012-12-23134601_zps8d964938.jpg

2012-12-23134653_zps3e277b66.jpg

• Like 5

Killed all the last batch, but it was a good learning curve because now im finally winning B)

My problem was either, to cold at night, to much light in the day or heat spikes.

Good that you are doing better with this batch, keep up the good work!

Usually I germinate in the winter on a heat mat (24/7) and under fluoro lights to keep the temps and light stable...

IME after they are germinated, they don't mind cooler nights that much down to approx 60F. Have definitely killed entire batches of seedlings because in closed containers they are easy to overheat (90F +). Keeping a seedling germination log with as much info as possible has been a great help for me.

As EG said its good to divide up your seeds so you can plant several trial runs until you are satisfied with your set up. Personally, I like a bit of coco coir seedling mix (because it retains water and is easily wet-able) with perlite and very coarse sand (1mm in diameter) in approx 1:1:1 ratio, and top dress the soil with very coarse sand right after the seeds are sewn. The choice of seedling soil will depend on your climate and what season you germinate in.

• Like 1

Looking good, Dreamtime!

Have like 500 types of seed lined up for germination and cant seem to get my ass up. lol. Have already put down 100 or so but thats just a fraction of what i need to sow. Very small containers, one bag of seed each. Think about starting another germination cycle in summer to get everything sown. Like every summer till the rest of my life. lol.

• Like 3