The Corroboree
Kykeion

Some of my TBMs

Hi all. I'm pretty new here and need to get my post count up so I can fully participate, so I thought I'd share some of my TBM collection with yall. Most of my collection is of the "short-jointed" variety. I have seen enough variation that I suspect the clone "A" "B" and "melted wax" designations to be inadequate. Any way, on with the show...

CIMG2754

CIMG2802

CIMG2856

CIMG2766

CIMG2805

CIMG2799

CIMG2859

CIMG2800

CIMG2857

CIMG2858

CIMG2804

CIMG2855

CIMG2813

CIMG2765

CIMG2801

CIMG2803

• Like 6

Welcome Kykeion :worship:

Some really nice TBM's there mate ! I am especially fond of the crested form of TBM !

I want one so bad :blush:

Edited by tipz

Thanks tipz!

The crested is one of my faves too. I have only seen them a few times, and they go for astronomical amounts of $$. I found this one for a relatively decent price, so I snatched it up. Still wasn't cheap though.

crest is the shizzle. Gotta love the tbms in general

Hey Kykeion I have a tmb that is almost the same thickness as a normal Bridgesii, are any of yours big like that? I'm trying to work out if its just off a very old mother plant or maybe a different strain?

I do have one that is huge compared to the rest, it is the one on the left in the first pic (also pics 11 and 12). It is maybe 2 1/2 inches in diameter. I'll try and take some more photos of it and include some sort of scale. I don't know much about it as I picked it up from a nursery, but I suspect it to be something different form the usual A/B selections. Perhaps it is a true "long-joint"? (I don't like using clone "A" or "B" because I have seen them used interchangeably for both types by different folks leading to confusion over which is which). I recently acquired a "long-joint" clone from a dealer who grows both. It is pretty thin and tall, but does not seem etiolated, leading be to believe there is a "giant" clone going around also. Bridgesii's are supposedly quite prone to producing monstrose seedlings, so there may in fact be hundreds of unique TBMs, some more commonly cloned than others.

Hi Kykeion, welcome to the cacti forum. You sure have some great looking tbm's and even just as impressive are the multiple grafts seen on some of your plants.

hey Stillman I too have a somewhat thicker appearing tbm, mine has grown to a height of around 70 cms and sports multiple offsets & stems

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum Kykeion. Nice pics.!

TBMs are my second favourite cactus. Lophs coming first ......of course.

:)

Edited by Amazonian

Hi Kykeion...nice pics man.

I notice ur growing under shade, is this normal for tbm's..? can they handle full sun..?

Hey Kykeion, welcome to the forums

I have a tmb that is almost the same thickness as a normal Bridgesii, are any of yours big like that? I'm trying to work out if its just off a very old mother plant or maybe a different strain?

You are a very lucky person. That creted looks so cool its like a regular crest that has melted :D

Stillman, when i was last at wandjina gardens a year plus we had a discussion about this. My information may be a little off. it seems that a larger variety came from south australia growing much larger. Not sure if we decided that it was a different type or maybe the climate had something to do with it ?

• Like 1

I have 2 sourced from W.A. They were both very fat/same thickness as normal bridgesii when I got them, but the trait seems to be just showing it came from a huge mother plant as the pups do not reach the same fatness. And it's deff the short jointed version.

i like the candle tbm (4th pic), i saw them in europe and all the yanks have it aswell, but i never saw it in oz. :(

i saw your pic's in the gallery first, and hoped you would be located in oz...

anyway, wellcome and great tbm's you got, i hate the feeling of envy, hehehe.

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcomes :P

Amazonian - I'm a fan of the Lophs as well, unfortunately I can't grow them here. Well I guess technically I can grow some of them, but the laws are kinda grey and I'd rather not push my luck. But man the variety of forms I have seen come from countries where people can grow em blows my mind.

Space cadet 101 - I'm sure they can be acclimated to full sun, but the sun is pretty intense where I live. I actually bought a cheap "greenhouse" (it is more of a fancy hoophouse) this spring to help acclimate my plants from indoor to out door conditions, having burnt some in the past. Everything seemed so happy in the green house that I just decided to leave them there.

• Like 1

Amazonian - I'm a fan of the Lophs as well, unfortunately I can't grow them here. Well I guess technically I can grow some of them, but the laws are kinda grey and I'd rather not push my luck.

Yeah, isn't that just SHIT hey. It really does my head in when i think about how we are told what plants we can and cant grow... GRRRR!!!

Probably wont be long and we will need a permit to have any plant in our garden, and then we will be taxed on it, and, and, and ,aaaaahhh!!!!!!!!

:)

• Like 1

(Off topic sort of lol) its like a few years ago when they had the water police come around and fine you for using your tap when they charge you for every litre u use, and then we have 2 years of floods which just smashes us because the same powers that be didn't put any safety measures in place, then charge us more for the water in there over capacity dams. Does my head in.

some of my interesting ones

DSCF2094.jpg

DSCF2097.jpg

DSCF2100.jpg

this one I grafted to dragon fruit, it took, it has no spines so the idea was to see if it would grow just one long column, so far its got plump but that is all.

DSCF2101.jpg

• Like 1