The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gtarman

Growing Caapi on a rental property...bad idea?

Hey guys, first post back in ages (been off doing other life-stuff), but I'm getting back into ethno-gardening at last :-)

One thing I'd really love to grow is Caapi vines, but the things is, I live in a rental house. I'd say it's very much an impermanent situation, and I'm sure the whole thing will be bulldozed and cleared sometime in the next few years. I can grow smaller stuff like cacti in pots, maybe even some small trees...

I really wanted to plant some Caapi here this spring though, but I hear that it's not really mature enough to be of any (aesthetic) use for a couple of years at least, and I very much doubt I'll have that much time.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

:)

Caapi strikes from cuttings - so you could plant a mother plant in your rental place. You never know, the next tennant might be cool and know what it is, and the next etc... you could be starting a whole chain of sharing. I say go for it.

You could always make some kind of makeshift thing you could move when the time comes

plant it out in a large pot add some lattice or something similar behind it for it to climb on

when moving time comes it might need a bit of a trim to be easily moved but at least you'll still have your large plant in a pot ready to go wherever you go :)

• Like 6

Yep as stated above caapi can look beautiful in a moderate sized pot over a single growing season it doesn't even need a trellis just let it sprwal up a tree if you want and is easy to move or transplant if placed in the ground. I'd go for it.

Hmmm. Good points guys. I guess I have nothing to lose but $50 or so...I might just plant two - one in the ground by a tree and keep the other in a pot with a trellis to take with me when I go. Even if it does end up being a waste, probably worth the small investment...

Maybe I could plant some out in the wild? Or even find an open-minded land-owner out in the country somewhere who'd be willing to let me grow some on their property? Anyone have experiences doing either of those?

Edited by gtarman

Just plant them in reasonable sized pots, man. Then you can take them with you when you move. If you have to cut off a lot when moving then make a bunch of cuttings to sell and/or trade.

My three plants are in pots at the moment.

• Like 1

Hi all

I have 4 that have been in pots for about 4-5 years and I am now moving ....but they have grown big roots out the bottom of the pot ...can I transplant them into bigger pots and get what roots I can out of the ground ....will they survive ?

I also have 3 x1m high khats that I want to put in pots they are in the ground at the moment...any chance ?

All help and experience would be appreciated ... I don't want to loose my baby's :-(

gallery_36_2_126290.jpg

You can see how well it grows even in a small pot if kept well watered...this was over one growing season in Melbourne from a well rooted cutting

• Like 2

take cuttings and keep some in pots and put some in the ground.